Notices

Checking in..hello all...

Old 08-11-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Checking in..hello all...

Well folks happy Saturday morning to all....just checking in..I am slammed with issues at work regards compliance issues I keep up dated etc..so posting during the week is difficult for me.....

I am on day 18 of my new found sobriety, 4 meetings a week, living life, doing things to stay busy on the weekend and enjoying life with no booze....

went to a surprise birthday party for a friend Thursday night, first time around alcohol since I started my sobriety...and it was fine...when I was offered a drink I said I was the designated driver..as my wife was with me and she was having a margarita or 2...I heard another guy I didn’t know at the party just say , “I don’t drink anymore” when offered a drink..I wondered why I didn’t say that....as that is the real deal ,not being the designated driver..hell I have drank and drove umpteen times before...guess, I wasn’t secure enough yet to just say it like that, “I don’t drink anymore”....next time, that’s my line.....to just get past it .....

The meetings work...I was asked to speak for the first time last night, as the regulars see me at the meetings every week, but begged off, I am still in listening mode.....I’ll speak when I feel the time is right and I have something meaningful to share...

let me say again, to those that are new to sobriety, the meetings work...keep going and coming back...there are folks there with years and decades of sobriety that still come....why? Think about it....

Last edited by carl11; 08-11-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, whatever helped you not take that drink-that's priority right now. Our addictions are the things that have ruled us, and the addictions are the things we determined to not let rule us.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 18, Carl! Great to hear, too, how things are going for you... how you handled the party situation, getting to meetings, and handling sobriety even while under the gun at work.

Your posts make me think.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

18 days is great Carl11 . Keep doing what you're doing!
Old 08-11-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for that Carl, you are sounding good mate, well done and keep it up!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi carl! congrats to ya on BOTH the days, and the party !!!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Way 2 go Carl.....

Way 2 go!

Love,

:

IO
Old 08-12-2007, 02:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there Carl. Thanks for the great post. It was a pleasure to read. Nice to know we are not alone huh?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Carl you're doing great.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Hi there Carl. Thanks for the great post. It was a pleasure to read. Nice to know we are not alone huh?

yes it is.....and thank you.....I go to the meetings and am constantly amazed at the stories and experiences of some..one person spoke last night and admitted they had HIV, their son died in a car wreck at 13 months old while they were incarcerated.....jesus wept.....I mean, for god sakes, it makes me think, here I am banging out day after day with out anything close to that as an albatross around my neck and this person, who has 27 months of sobriety is still going strong......

It makes me think...I mean if they can deal, I have to make my best effort to deal as well.. ....I know we each are effected by issues differently....what may be a near disaster for some, may not be for others depending upon experiences and attitudes...its the coping mechanism one has developed over years ..some have a higher threshold, some lower....in either case, its sobering (pun intended)......hopefully my coping mechanism is high enough to deal with life when it takes a dip...as it always does time to time......

I just keep focused and thinking how much worse the dips will be if I am incapable of thinking clearly, clouded by alcohol , thrashing my way through in a state of drunken incoherence and psychical ineptitude... as compared to being mentally clear etc.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Carl...
Ever notice how often you hear laughter in meetings?
Or see members nodding Yes when listening to another share?

The fellowship is awesome! It's vital for my joy in recovery.

Blessings
Old 08-12-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know we each are effected by issues differently....what may be a near disaster for some, may not be for others depending upon experiences and attitudes...
Dude, you figured that out after 18 days ? Sheesh, it took me 9 months to realize that.....

You'll be just fine.

Keep going back, it works. Oh, and wait until you get some step work done. You will simply be amazed at the changes in you and your life.....
Old 08-13-2007, 03:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What GP said.

How are you doing today Carl?

Thanks for another wonderful read.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

WONDERFUL THREAD.

Thanks!

Liz