SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   5 things to look forward to when sober.. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/130437-5-things-look-forward-when-sober.html)

Sportster 08-11-2007 09:14 PM

Wow! amazing how similar the answers are here. I get them all too. If I could just retain the same thoughts in the evening that I have in the morning then I think I could actually stop drinking. Somehow I start feeling real good around noontime and start thinking about drinking again. Spent the last forty years thinking I can (and should be able to ) be a social drinker. Quit once for ten years but I'm sliding down the shoot again. Damn, got to stop this.
john

mysoulswornthin 08-11-2007 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sportster (Post 1447641)
If I could just retain the same thoughts in the evening that I have in the morning then I think I could actually stop drinking. Somehow I start feeling real good around noontime and start thinking about drinking again.

WOW - I've been thinking/doing the exact same thing for so long it makes my head hurt to think about it. You never know though, maybe tomorrow will be your day. I've been sober a whole 5 days now, so I know if I can, you can. That noon attitude change is what worries me, but who knows, maybe Ill hang in there this time.

Since I'm only 5 days in, I only have one thing to add to the list:
1. not having to drive to the liquor store when it opens and buy just enough beer to replace what I'm going to drink today before my husband gets home.

carl11 08-12-2007 08:13 AM

good stuff

Originally Posted by mysoulswornthin (Post 1447702)
WOW - I've been thinking/doing the exact same thing for so long it makes my head hurt to think about it. You never know though, maybe tomorrow will be your day. I've been sober a whole 5 days now, so I know if I can, you can. That noon attitude change is what worries me, but who knows, maybe Ill hang in there this time.

Since I'm only 5 days in, I only have one thing to add to the list:
1. not having to drive to the liquor store when it opens and buy just enough beer to replace what I'm going to drink today before my husband gets home.

5 days cool...it gets better keep on truckin'!! Forget the clock noon 300 900....its all relative....

GlassPrisoner 08-12-2007 09:25 AM

How about not having to drive to the liquor store when it opens and buy just enough vodka to stop the shakes ?

pointmagnet 08-12-2007 06:07 PM

is dreaming something that happens to sober people?
I have also noticed that since quitting booze, I dream every night. They are bizarre dreams, and I remember them every morning and sometimes for the whole day.

I rarely dreamed while alcohol was part of my daily routine.

Weird.

Jules62 08-12-2007 07:29 PM

*Remembering-phonecalls, conversations, dreams, what I did the night before

*Not waking up hungover and running to the bathroom to throw up

*Not feeling guilty for no apparent reason

*Not fearing the phone ringing, letters in the mail

*Being able to be honest and kind with all the people that matter in my life.

IO Storm 08-13-2007 12:54 AM

Quoting Hevyn..

Not having that terrible feeling of panic, paranoia and remorse overwhelm you as you try to resurface after a binge.

Really...

No physical cravings

No mental obsession..that is a biggie

Regaining respect (from everyone)

The ability to be grateful

The ability to begin making amends (to just about everyone)

The ability to pray

The ability to listen

Gratitude the flame of spirituality is growing into a fire...