Notices

What are you going to do for your recovery today?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are you going to do for your recovery today?

I woke up this morning realizing I had a choice about my day. I could either take steps down the road of recovery such as reading literature,going to a meeting, make a program call, pray, meditate, etc or I can take steps towards using. It is such a mystery about why some recover and some struggle (like me). Anybody who doesn't use for one day is a living miracle.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I went to bed last night with a black cloud hanging over my head, woke up this morning and the darn thing was still there.

I prayed last night, meditated this morning, went to work and emailed my sponsor about getting together to talk, PM'd another alcoholic on SR for input, and will continue to seek God's will for me throughout the day.

For me, recovery requires constant action. Using really isn't an issue, but survival can be.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes to us all today

D
Old 08-09-2007, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup Astro, drinking is no longer the problem. Now comes the hard part !

My day:
Wake up
Read from 24 hours and Daily Reflections
Pray and meditate (Please and direction)
Work
Take action on problem issues
Post at SR
Call Sponsor (some days)
Call another Alkie (some days)
Meeting/Service Work, lot's of before and after meeting fellowship
Post at SR
Pray (Thank You)
Sleep
Old 08-09-2007, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today, I am going to focus on MY recovery, whatever that takes. I'm going to remember that I'm not a freak of nature because I got myself in this particular pickle-even the people I admire most, like my husband, my ideal of human strength in this world, have problems and challenges. This is the turn that mine took. I'm going to remind myself everytime I think of it that I won't die from not putting a pill in my mouth. I'm going to use this board for the wonderful advice and inspiration I get from reading of those who have gotten clean or are well along in the process, and not as some substitute focus on that one thing that I'm determined to NOT focus on, LOL. I want to focus on the strength I find here, and not read the board in order to obssess about the darned pills. Most of all, today I am going to stay true to myself, keep my integrity, and go to bed early. I gloried in not having insomnia last night, and waking up early to have a fresh clean day all to myself
Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Longing,

Isn't great waking up with options....? For so long my addiction made the choices for me.. If I was awake, I was drinking....All my choices in life revolved around my addiction....I seriously thought I had no way OUT, and I was the ONLY one who had a problem like this........Surely nobody else would want to live like this......
It was only when I admitted I was POWERLESS did the freedom of choice return.....And for that I am truly GRATEFULL..........great thread BTW.....

Work Hard and Enjoy Life..............Ned
Old 08-09-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sav
Sav

I went to bed feeling awful from a small case of heat exhaustion. Left the window open by accident and woke up a 5 AM to a stray cat that had wandered in that was being challenged by my cats. Gave it a can of food and it ran out. Took aspirin for the lack of sleep headache.
Contemplating doing work right now, but leaning in the direction of reveling in irresponsibility and avoiding it. So... I'm here!!!
And watching a show with some judge called Mathais(?) who's being really snippy towards the people on the show...and am very happy it's not me!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel you, regarding the heat. I chose noon to take a power walk, LOL, bad time! I was afraid if I didn't do it while I was "hyped" mentally to do it, I would not do it at all. But it's done now-I'm drinking lots of nice cold water. I'm reading the boards, making iced tea, considering a nap, and watching the day darken for a nice thunderstorm I can make it through this day, with a nap and a long bath around 6 or 7, bed around 10.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Went to the dentist, it wasnt for my recovery but was part of my recovery and it felt good to do something that has needed to be done for a LONG time.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is a good topic. For me everyday first thing I do is read my daily meditation book.
I read AA literature and I'm currently working on step 1.
Go to meetings
Come on SR 2 times a day.
The praying part i have to work on yet. I still have issues with my higher power to talk about with my sponsor. The only time I pray is at the meetings with others for now.

Barb
Old 08-09-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

TOday I made the decision to get clean. Bring on the adventure!
Amelia x
Old 08-09-2007, 10:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I know - I've become 'rainman' ,... you can almost set your clock by my schedule.

wake up
read women's daily meditations
p&m (hopefully an hour)
coffee (sometimes these two switch)
return phone calls
meeting
home/change
more calls (sometimes)
work
here (SR)
home/play with kittens
p&m
sleep.

this afternoon, though -
I spent a couple of hours on the phone with a 12th step call.

usually, when people ask me what am I doing for my recovery, I quip I'm doing whatever it takes ... but that 12th step today got me outa smrty pants mode for a while.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm going to try not to desperately hang on to how good I feel today. I almost felt "high" all day. It was just a really good day. But I know when I try to hang on to it and force it...I could end up drinking just chasing that high. I have to take each day as it comes. Good or bad.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

read SR
lap swim and go to meetings

feeling really good about today hope everyone else does too
Old 08-10-2007, 02:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have no idea how today is going to go. I'm under alot of pressure from a bunch of sources. It doesn't help to have this addiction constantly nagging me. I just want one day that I don't think about getting high.

My addiction lives in a vaccuum, my husband doesn't know, my family doesn't know, and I've already put them through so much crap in the past that I don't have the heart to tell them that I'm still addicted.

I feel all alone, with nobody to tell except y'all. Hi! I'm Deja and I'm a cocaine addict! there, that felt good.

Today I'm going to look for peace in my baby's eyes. I'm going to enjoy my husband's company, and I'm not going to pick up. Hey, everyone's got to start somewhere.

Peace
Old 08-10-2007, 03:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Deja,
that's the first step done anyway !

hang around
lots of love and support here

D
Old 08-10-2007, 03:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
L Ron Hoover

Today I'm just going to not drink and get to a meeting.
I can't ask for anything more right now.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Today I am going to be super productive at work and then go hang out with my friends, most of whom don't drink, and have a grand ol' time . . . for me it's all about keeping positive and upbeat!!

Last edited by Sharkie82; 08-10-2007 at 04:20 AM. Reason: fixing incomplete thoughts
Old 08-10-2007, 05:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm just going to try to get through work and get home. This is proving to be quite a tough day - the worst yet.

Day 6 though and still rolling along.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Read SR

Get some exercise

journal my food