Notices

Is your everyday life at least 95% happy?

Old 08-09-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 96tears View Post
I am a former musician-writer and in some circles a very accomplished and articulate audio producer now semi retired in Las Vegas.
Hey 96.. I've only been sober for 4 LONG days now.. but I have something that might relate to you directly.
I am also a musician and own a small recording studio. Mostlly just so I can record myself and friends. Here is the crazy thing though. When I made my descision to be clean on Monday I needed some things to occupy my time. I started picking up my guitar every night. Here is where it gets kinda weird.

I play better!.. I am more creative.. I can even listen louder because I have no headache

I'm not saying everytime I played music i was wasted (most of the time) but having a clear mind from being sober definitley has done something to my creative side. Playing and recording music makes me happy.. doing it with 100% clarity is priceless. I am more coordinated, retain notes / songs better and think differently about song structure.

As for being happy most of the time..? I don't have percentage, but the more time I spend doing the things I love.. (Family time, music etc..) the happier I am.

Happy when drunk? = For the first couple of hours..
Happy when sober? = Does a fat kid love cake? absolutely.

Guy
Old 08-09-2007, 02:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I started picking up my guitar every night. Here is where it gets kinda weird.
*snip*
I play better!.. I am more creative..
*snip*
and think differently about song structure
Keyboardist here. And my chops are WAY better than they have been in years. I can relate.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

96, i'm gunna lay this one down like i'm on my drum kit...

i pick up my 5A's, do a little tune'n of the head, adjust my seat, and take a deep breath...

a'1'a, a 2'a & a 3'a (steps), and i lay down a beat, try to keep it right in the pocket, a smooth groove...

yes, i can say i'm resonably happy most days, and if i'm not... at the end of the day... i reflect on the why nots...

i can honestly say, i have not once went to bed miserable once in sobriery and recovery...

its the days i start out with the parade sticks i have to watch out for...

i know i should not by the ticket to the parade!

wishe'n you all the best 96...

ohoh, you kinda look like the guy from ? & the Mysterians, a way bit older...

the 96 tears band from my era...

xxoo, rz
Old 08-09-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started picking up my guitar every night. Here is where it gets kinda weird.
*snip*
I play better!.. I am more creative..
*snip*
and think differently about song structure

Keyboardist here. And my chops are WAY better than they have been in years. I can relate.
Same deal here. No doubt about it. Other people have commented...my playing's much better sober.

and Rusty's right...you're not '?' are ya, Mike ?

D
Old 08-09-2007, 04:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Life is all about choices. When you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react to situations. You choose how people affect your mood.

You choose to be in a good mood or bad mood. The bottom line: It's your choice how you live your life."

In sobriety I have had a grandson born with HLHS, simply put he had half a heart. One week later my youngest daughter gave birth to a child at 15 years old, after being molested by an adult "religious leader" in a youth group. We had to arrange for an adoption while the "half hearted grandson" of my oldest son fought for his life in the University of Michigan hospital.

Over the last several years I have been quite well off in my business and "on the edge" at other times. Loved and lost some great ladies. Had my #2 son admit to a serious drug addiction and watched the last of the four kids, a daughter graduate with high honors from USC.

In short, life just continued to happen, but I was aware of all of it while it happened. I am sure that my being drunk would not have made any of the above mentioned things BETTER and surely would have made some of them much worse.

I am CONTENT 95% of the time. I think happiness is a momentary state, much like sorrow. To live a CONTENTED and VICTORIOUS life requires that I do the best that I can in all situations, and I know with certainty that I HAVE NEVER BEEN AT MY BEST DRUNK!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Jfnaagle..

To live a CONTENTED and VICTORIOUS life requires that I do the best that I can in all situations...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amen to this..amen!
Old 08-12-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
No alcohol in my blood

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
96, i'm gunna lay this one down like i'm on my drum kit...

i pick up my 5A's, do a little tune'n of the head, adjust my seat, and take a deep breath...

a'1'a, a 2'a & a 3'a (steps), and i lay down a beat, try to keep it right in the pocket, a smooth groove...

yes, i can say i'm resonably happy most days, and if i'm not... at the end of the day... i reflect on the why nots...

i can honestly say, i have not once went to bed miserable once in sobriery and recovery...

its the days i start out with the parade sticks i have to watch out for...

i know i should not by the ticket to the parade!

wishe'n you all the best 96...

ohoh, you kinda look like the guy from ? & the Mysterians, a way bit older...

the 96 tears band from my era...

xxoo, rz
Thanks for the reply. I need to get a drum kit I can play on here at home again. I only have a stand up cocktail rockabilly kit here now set up. That will help with staying focused and healthy too. Still sober baby since July 9th 2007. Thanks!
I love that band!
Old 08-12-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
No alcohol in my blood

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post
Life is all about choices. When you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react to situations. You choose how people affect your mood.

You choose to be in a good mood or bad mood. The bottom line: It's your choice how you live your life."

In sobriety I have had a grandson born with HLHS, simply put he had half a heart. One week later my youngest daughter gave birth to a child at 15 years old, after being molested by an adult "religious leader" in a youth group. We had to arrange for an adoption while the "half hearted grandson" of my oldest son fought for his life in the University of Michigan hospital.

Over the last several years I have been quite well off in my business and "on the edge" at other times. Loved and lost some great ladies. Had my #2 son admit to a serious drug addiction and watched the last of the four kids, a daughter graduate with high honors from USC.

In short, life just continued to happen, but I was aware of all of it while it happened. I am sure that my being drunk would not have made any of the above mentioned things BETTER and surely would have made some of them much worse.

I am CONTENT 95% of the time. I think happiness is a momentary state, much like sorrow. To live a CONTENTED and VICTORIOUS life requires that I do the best that I can in all situations, and I know with certainty that I HAVE NEVER BEEN AT MY BEST DRUNK!
Amazing story and God Bless you and yours! It is interesting that a lot of folks do not talk much about how life has it's way of throwing us curve balls and that we actually, in a lot of circumstances, have nothing to do with what comes right to us and sits on our laps for what ever reason. In other words by no fault of ours, sometimes it just punches us right in the face for no apparent reason, but we tend to blame oursleves. After that certain something has sat down on our lap and now turns into a situation to deal with, being sober will more than likely cause one to make a much more solid, wiser, well thought out decision, instead of a wobbly, pissed off, sloppy, arrogant, distorted choice.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
No alcohol in my blood

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post
I have to agree with Barb; but, oh boy, did you pick the wrong day to pose this question! I posted today in the Women's Forum.

"Oh, don't get me started on the impatience and intolerance of the patients for each other! Sadly, the ones who are so quick to criticize and ridicule don't realize how bad they are themselves! I have to try to bite my tongue because it doesn't do any good to point it out to them.

I'm having a bit of a "meltdown" today. I don't think I will ever consider this my "home"...it's just a place I have to stay because I have nowhere else to go! As nursing homes go, it's supposed to be one of the best in the area...but, I hate not having my own place...and, practically everything I owned is gone. It might as well have gone up in flames! I wish I could feel some kind of gratitude...maybe tomorrow...but, today I just feel pissed off!"

Sorry I can't be more upbeat today, but sometimes it just beeze that way. Talk to me tomorrow.
I can relate to what you are going through. It is tuff. Life changes so quickly, and what one has built up for decades can change or disappear within weeks, or even days, or even minutes. I think this is where memory, focus, peace, and meditation come into to play. Just relax and enjoy the wonderful memories you have about the things that were so real in your life, so real that you can still touch them, smell them, taste them, and experience them in your mind because you were actually there, and had the wonderful opportunity to live through it all, which no one can ever take away.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
No alcohol in my blood

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
95% of the time? anybody THAT happy would HAVE to be high!
ok, that was in poor taste, but my point is, life ain't like that. i'm just glad i'm not miserable 95% of the time!!!!!

i DO enjoy life today. i laugh a lot. i have a positive outlook. i can find the humor in most any situation. i know today life isn't out to get me. i still gotta work for a living. and they still expect me to show up dang near every day!? i still have bills to pay, dishes to wash, IRS always manages to find me and send me a "thinking of you" notice, car needs to be maintained, dog needs a walk....life goes on.

and i get to be a part of it!!!! i am graced with the freedom from active addiction. the Promises of AA tell us:

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.
VERY WELL PUT, FANTASTIC WRITING! THANK YOU FOR YOUR INSPIRATION!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
No alcohol in my blood

Originally Posted by St_Kurt View Post
Well... It depends on what you mean by "happy".

If you mean - do I jump out of bed each morning estatic to meet a brand new day of joyful surprises with a smile on my face and never a worry in my heart 95% of the time then... no. I don't even know if that's possible.

However, if you mean "content" or "satisfied", then yes, I am satisfied with my life 95% of the time.

My response would be similar to Glass Prisoner's. I'm not rich or wildly sucessful. I don't have very many possessions. I have problems and crises to deal with just like everyone else - some of them greater than others.

Like you 96Tears, I had a bad time growing up. And I've had a variety of careers and did well at them. I used to work for Microsoft, and there I had a lot of money and things. Surprisingly, it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. One day I realized I didn't need it all and I was just working at my job (which I didn't enjoy) to keep it. So shortly after, I gave away/sold nearly everything and left the industry.

Now I live in a one room house that's very tiny. I don't even own a television. I went from driving a kick-ass sports car to a stationwagon. I have to live frugally on a student's budget.

I am in veterinary school which has been a calling for many many years and that has required an unbelievable number of sacrifices - from how much free time I have to where I live to how I live. It's exciting to be moving towards the goal of becoming a doctor, but difficult too. And crap happens. Two weeks ago I was sitting in church and got a stabbing pain in my back that wouldn't go away. It turns out I had kidney stones. Most unbelievable pain I've ever felt in my life and I spent a week in the hospital requiring two surgeries. But hey ... things happen and I'm okay now.

I guess that's my life: things happen, but I'll be okay. I wouldn't change anything in my past, present, or future - all of those things shape who I am and who I will become. There's no secret to it other than accepting that this is my life - it's not that great, but it's what I've got to work with. And I can live with that.

I might start by turning off the TV though. It sucks anyway.
~SK
Yes TV does suck! Also, congratulations on having the courage to leave Microsoft and starting a life surrounding what YOU want to do. Corporate SUCKS too!
Sometimes a humble, calm life can be lived with not much money, and man what a great feeling not to have some corporate idiot up your ass all the time.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
No alcohol in my blood

Originally Posted by guywithpie View Post
Hey 96.. I've only been sober for 4 LONG days now.. but I have something that might relate to you directly.
I am also a musician and own a small recording studio. Mostlly just so I can record myself and friends. Here is the crazy thing though. When I made my descision to be clean on Monday I needed some things to occupy my time. I started picking up my guitar every night. Here is where it gets kinda weird.

I play better!.. I am more creative.. I can even listen louder because I have no headache

I'm not saying everytime I played music i was wasted (most of the time) but having a clear mind from being sober definitley has done something to my creative side. Playing and recording music makes me happy.. doing it with 100% clarity is priceless. I am more coordinated, retain notes / songs better and think differently about song structure.

As for being happy most of the time..? I don't have percentage, but the more time I spend doing the things I love.. (Family time, music etc..) the happier I am.

Happy when drunk? = For the first couple of hours..
Happy when sober? = Does a fat kid love cake? absolutely.

Guy
WELL SAID MY MAN. I CAN ACTUALLY WRITE, PLAY, SING AND PERFORM MUCH LONGER TOO. MY ENERGY IS BACK! IT WAS KIND OF HARD TO DO AFTER 10 SHOTS OF TEQUILA GOLD LOL!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
No alcohol in my blood

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
AWESOME....AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK DUDE!
Old 08-12-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

96T
Still sober baby since July 9th 2007.
keep on!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
IO Storm

You are open and teachable..and you take and are thankful for helpful

suggestions...

You definitely on your way..and don't ever ever lose these qualities...

They are your lifesaver....and are for this 14 month old baby as well.

Congrats on your sober time!

Love,

IO

Old 08-14-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

You definitely on your way..and don't ever ever lose these qualities...

They are your lifesaver
and as sis and i like to say... dont complain about the color of it...
Old 08-14-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I don't know about percentages, but I have a great life in recovery and in that life I have found me, what a gift that is and becomes more so each day.

Keep talking about those experiences and feelings Mike

Kevin
Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks for Sharing 96tears. i found , I play better, write, better and comprehend
music better after i understood the principle of the 12 steps better..
Good god, i can go for days trying to mix some of my songs sometimes,
but as you know, a song has a life of it's own..So i'll have to let go and
let it be. Some of the mistakes are only noticable to me..well it's the
prefectionism and obsessive thing. Somehow i just have to learn how
to balance it becuase i can't just slap it all in there. Sometimes less is
more, especailly in music.

As far as everyday being a good day. No. it dosn't happen, but i do
have a better shot at it, if I do step 1,2,3. It's bascailly my attitude.
The actual events that happens with our lives is only 5%.
95% of it gose round and round in our heads and our expreince or
emotions is base off of our attitudes or perceptions of what happened.

But if there's drugs or alcohol in my brain...it's gets numb or deluted.
So. I'm not really experincing the events, I'm just experincing alcohol or drugs.

As you know, especailly in music, if it's on the high notes all the time
it gets kind of old. the same with being on the low notes.
A mixture of high notes and low notes gives the music life...that's
how I percieve as a will writen piece of music. it gives me a veriety
of experinces or expression, good and bad, but it's okay...it's beautiful.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Great advice SaTiT...

I needed that reminder..5% actual...95% in the head....

Be still my weary mind....