SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Feeling Better. Very Dangerous (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/130281-feeling-better-very-dangerous.html)

stone 08-07-2007 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by micepod (Post 1441823)
I usually don't crave sweets at all. Must be all of the withdrawal from the sugar in the alcohol.

Yes, thats it I think. I also try to eat regularly now instead of skipping meals because it felt like my blood sugar would drop and I would go woozy and crave if I missed a meal.
Also, avoid too much coffee! I found that could induce craving but thats gone now and I can drink it again.

scootinbabe 08-07-2007 05:54 PM

i love labs too! we lost our yellow lab about three years ago and i can't wait to get another dog....but my little kids need to get a bit bigger first.

micepod, you are doing all the right things. you are coming here and posting. being honest. those are significant.

in my first months, i would read all i could about alcoholism and/or come here. kept myself busy doing those things instead of sitting in front of the tv and drinking wine. my personal favorite beverage during those months was diet limeade. tart and sweet. soda didn't do it for me and neither did water.

micepod 08-07-2007 07:14 PM

Well i think i made it through the tough hours for me. Had dinner with the kids and am starting to wind down for the evening.

I think a cup of tea and a chococolate bar will hit the spot right now. This sweet thing is ridiculous. Even my family is noticing all of the junk sweets i am eating.

Big Brother 8 is on tonight. I actually find that show amusing. LOL

Thank-you everyone. It is so great to know that you are out there.

Karen

Dee74 08-07-2007 07:41 PM

no worries Karen ! :)
D

chicago 08-07-2007 09:20 PM

ah yes i have been there dozens of times. when things are going so well and we feel great, we have to be extra careful. i remember the first really big check i got...it was in spring 06 and i had 6-7 months sober. it was 75 degrees and beautiful and i left work and looked up at the sears tower. i had just gotten my ipod and my favorite music was blasting. life was so great at the moment! what made it even better was putting the check in the bank and making a meeting. im still here and life is way better than it was that day...and its all because i stayed sober!

scaredykat 08-07-2007 09:46 PM

Just want to say Hi Karen. Keep up the good work. It's hard work, but its worth it in the end.

I watched Big Brother tonight too.

Barb

micepod 08-08-2007 05:29 AM

I made it to Day 10. No sleep. Up all night with my daughter. She has decided she does not want to sleep at night anymore.

Sooooo tired. I am in tears wishing for a good sleep to finally come my way

Karen

Emily2002 08-08-2007 05:44 AM

Oh Karen... You just can't get at a break, now, can you? Do you think she's getting sick (ears, cold, etc?) or is it just the whole separation anxiety thing they go through? Can you get her to go to sleep? Or is it that she wakes up in the middle of the night and won't go back?

I hope that if she naps today you can too. In fact, if she does -- step away from the boards too and sleep. Being tired is ALWAYS a trigger for me.

Oh! Another thing...something that I didn't even consider while typign away last night -- chocolate has caffeine in it! That probably made things even worse!!! One night (while drinking, of course) I ate half a bag of hershey's kisses. I was up ALL night.

Again... try to nap when you can, post when she's quietly playing and your son is doing his thing. I won't be around tonight, since it's my turn to take my son to rehearsal. Tomorrow is preview night and Friday the "official' opening night.

Don't know if I mentioned it, but my three youngest are actually in NH at camps! The girls, 16 year old twins are Counselors in Training and my baby is simply having fun! 9I miss them terribly) I'm going to check in off and on throughout the day, but if I don't try to limit myself, I won't get a thing done.

Over the past few years my depression and the frequent "day after" prohibited me from keeping up with the housecleaning, organizing, etc. The kids, who are certainly old enough to help around the house --- didn't. NOW I am overwhelmed. Don't know where to begin.

I'm trying to use this remaining week and a half to catch up.

I'll check in again, but know you'll be on my mind as I do MY mommy thing.

micepod 08-08-2007 06:04 AM

Good Morning Liz and Barb

I think that i will be too tired to consider drinking today. I wouldn't even be able to drive to the store.

Liz, my daughter goes down to sleep very easily but lately has been waking up in the middle of the night and won't go back to sleep. Last night she woke up at 2:00 and would'ngt go back to sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time. I don't think she is getting sick, she seems in great spirits during the day. I guess it's just one of those growing and changing things. My husband tries to take the night shift but she just wants mommy. You know how it is.

I can imagine you must be missing your kids. My 11 year old son has never gone to an overnight camp. He says he's not ready for that yet. He only just spent the night at a friends house for the first time this year. I will definitely miss him terribly when he starts going away to camp with friends.

It's exciting that your son is in the play. That sounds like such fun. You must be so proud.

You are right Liz, I will try and sleep later if my daughter decides to sleep that is.

Enjoy your day!!

K

pointmagnet 08-08-2007 07:32 AM

The kids, who are certainly old enough to help around the house --- didn't
What is it with teenagers nowadays? To get our kids to do a simple task around the house is like pulling teeth. And don't even think about asking them to help with the yard work....

And they wonder why I was a drinker.

stone 08-08-2007 07:35 AM

Hi Mice, I hope you get some rest soon. :)

parentrecovers 08-08-2007 07:36 AM

hang in there, karen. it's a tricky disease, so don't get fooled by those voices that tell you that you can "just have one...". it's the disease talkin'..

blessings, k

Octoman 08-08-2007 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by micepod (Post 1442401)
Good Morning Liz and Barb
Liz, my daughter goes down to sleep very easily but lately has been waking up in the middle of the night and won't go back to sleep. Last night she woke up at 2:00 and would'ngt go back to sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time. I don't think she is getting sick, she seems in great spirits during the day. I guess it's just one of those growing and changing things. My husband tries to take the night shift but she just wants mommy. You know how it is.

Hey Mice, its tough when the little ones do that. I have a 2 year old who's the same. I think he is going to be the incredible hulk, he keeps breaking out off his cot and running riot in the middle of the night. Gonig to buy some wood and do some building this weekend. Lots of it!

Broken sleep is no joke though and leaves you feeling like a zombie, unable to maintain focus. Hang in there though please. You'll get through this I'm sure of it.

scaredykat 08-08-2007 01:23 PM

Hi Karen, i hope you get your much needed nap today.

Barb

Emily2002 08-08-2007 09:17 PM

Well -- It's 12:13am here on the East Coast and I know I should go to bed now, because I'm picking a neighbor up at 5:45 tomorrow morning to work out at the Y. I am NOT a morning person, but need to do it anyway.

I HOPE and PRAY you and your little one are able to sleep soundly tonight. Just as I posted Jules after her long, rough day...

Sweet dreams, Karen.

Will check in on you tomorrow...

fuster 08-08-2007 09:26 PM

Hello, Karen:

Are you going to AA meetings? You sound like you have your hands full with the kids, but there are meetings with child care available. I for one could not have stayed in recovery all these years without meetings every week. There is a miracle that takes place within the walls of AA every time I am there. The miracle is that I get a little better and I am with others who are going through the same stuff and they are sharing the solution and how they work the Steps.

Spirituality is central to successful recovery. I did not read any comments from you about that. How is your spiritual program, or do you have one?

Dee74 08-08-2007 09:54 PM

hope you're doing OK Karen
:)

D

cad4dale2000 08-08-2007 10:04 PM

Hey micepod, HAng in there with me. I know it's hard and I'm feeling the same but I know what I was like when I wasn't clean. Hope everything works out . Talk to ya' later, Dale

Pilgrim 08-09-2007 02:35 AM

Hi Micepod. Just saying hi really. I hope you get some sleep soon hun.

micepod 08-09-2007 08:55 AM

Thank-you everyone for checking in with me. I appreciate all of you so much. (((HUGS))) to everyone.

Well, I finally got some sleep last night. Hubby took over the night shift. I heard my daughter crying and turned on the fan in my bedroom so that i would not hear her. I feel so guilty, it's me she really wants in the night. My husband says that she was awake for about an hour. During that time she would not settle down to go back to bed. He brought her into the livingroom and sat with her until she decided she was tired and snuggled up with him and fell asleep. AAAWW how sweet is that?

I still feel tired. I finally got most of a good nights sleep and i'm still tired. What is wrong with me? I guess I alrready know the answer to that. It is normal to feel tired when in early sobriety.

I am feeling very weak and for some reason I am loosing my focus on the one day at a time concept. I keep thinking in terms of "I can never drink again". I don't like the feeling. I feel angry about that. It is something that i am very resentful about.

Fuster: Thank-you for your post. No, I have not gone to AA since I was a teenager. Right now, I can't seem to muster up the courage to go out and meet anyone. Frankly, i think i may be a little agoraphobic(sp). My self esteem is at an all time low. Although I don't follow any "conventional" religion, I feel that i am a very spiritual person. Probably Buddhism would be the closest religion that I can relate to. I know AA is out there and i hope to find the courage to go soon.

Liz: Wow, working out at 5:30am. I have a bowflex and a stair climber in my house and i can't even get motivated to work out. Good for you. Did you make it on such little sleep? Hope you have a good day today.

Thanks everyone. Take care and have a great day!!

Karen