Notices

Wow.. I can't believe I'm posting on a sober recovery board

Old 08-06-2007, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow.. I can't believe I'm posting on a sober recovery board

Well, here I am. I pretty much have been a drunk for 15 years. On and off, but mostly on. I'm 36 and I feel a hell of a lot older than that. I consider myself a "happy drunk". I don't get in fights, hit my wife or drink so much I pass out. I do drink everyday. At least one bottle of wine.

I've never been to AA or counseling. I would consider even posting a big step for me based on my personality type. I do have a problem and look forward to fixing my current state of being. I never thought I would say this but I am an alcoholic. It's taken many years to realize this but here I am.

I have been a lurker on this site for quite a while and now I have realized that I need to put myself out there and tell someone else that I'm going to quit. I've told my wife that in the past but it obviously has failed.

So.. This is day one. Day one should be fairly easy for me considering I got obliterated over the weekend and feel like hell. Let's see how day three and four goes. Thanks for all the posters. Reading your trials and tribulations and how you overcame them definitely helps.

Hopefully I can post some success stories that will help other people as well.

Wish me luck.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this.AA takes one hour out of your day try one meeting it was hard for me to walk in but it is great.I cant do this by myself and I found out I dont have to.I was a everyday drunk with a pill habit to boot.There are some sites with speaker tapes you can check out.keep posting Good luck.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

keep coming back! blessings, k
Old 08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi guywithpie . Nice to meet you. You've been lurking so you know this is a great place already. Wishing you luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Lurker

Hey Pie welcome!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good to see you are here and hopefully it's to stay. I only say that because we all know too well how a Monday can feel after getting completely hammered all weekend. Many times on Mondays I would swear that I wouldn't drink again but by that evening or the next day I wouldn't feel as hung over and the thought of drinking a few was inviting.

In any case, I'm not one to push AA. First and foremost be honest with yourself about your desire to quit.

Good luck, it's a tough road but in my short sobriety I can already see how much better it is..
Old 08-06-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey guy with pie,

welcome !!
D
Old 08-06-2007, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow.. guy.. I am in the same boat.. I also have a bottle of wine a night.. I often wonder IF I have a problem? it runs in the family.. brother, father.. I can not even tell you how I ended up here.. its new to me.. its only been a few months but its a regular thing.. I often wonder? am I ok and just looking for a problem since its in the family.. or just stressed and winding down... The good LORD knows I dont want a problem.. but.. well, here I am?!?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Beyond.. we have a lot in common. Family thing on my side too. Crazy thing this booze is. I'm hankering a glass of wine as we speak. I will get through it today though. I threw out everything in my house yesterday. (Even my wife's cooking wine.)

I know that sounds cheesy, but I really want this to work this time. I can't even imagine how I will feel 100% sober for a few weeks. I don't get hammered all the time, but I drink everyday. No longer damn it. I wish I could kick this temptation right in the junk but unfortunately, gotta deal with this myself.

Let me know how your doing Beyond.. and thanks for all the words of encouragement.

Macphisto.. your comments are so true.

I just showed my wife this site and my comments and she got teary eyed. She's a good woman. That's one of the reasons I'm quitting.

Maybe I'll just drink tons of water and get so full I couldn't drink anymore.

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Just wanted to say Hi to Pie and Beyond.

Karen
Old 08-06-2007, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeyondReconcile View Post
Wow.. guy.. I am in the same boat.. I also have a bottle of wine a night.. I often wonder IF I have a problem? it runs in the family.. brother, father.. I can not even tell you how I ended up here.. its new to me.. its only been a few months but its a regular thing.. I often wonder? am I ok and just looking for a problem since its in the family.. or just stressed and winding down... The good LORD knows I dont want a problem.. but.. well, here I am?!?
Hey Beyond! I just looked at your profile and you joined this site yesterday, I did today.. No drinkie winkie for me today.. let's help each other out?

Thanks for all the friendly hello's as well. This place rocks..
Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

guywithpie you rock dude and so does your wife!!!!!!!!!!! I have a feeling you're going to beat this thing! I'm still having a hard time, but I'm on my way back.

Welcome to SR, this is the best website in the world! Glad you found us.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

If willpower alone were the answer there wouldn't be many alkies. Few can do it alone. Your odds for sobriety will be greatly enhanced if you go to AA
Here is the link for mtg. locator in Orange County: www.oc-aa.org/index.htm
Good luck to you.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Spiritual Seeker..Thanks for the advice and support. Why am I so weird about going to AA? I guess because deep in my heart I don't feel that I'm "that bad off".. This is the first time I've ever reached out to any community openly about getting some help. Baby steps at first for this man.

I'm embarrassed, upset and disappointed in myself. I'm not ready to walk into a room full of people that I don't know.. maybe later if I need it.

At least with the forum, I can hide behind my cartoon avatar and type messages without looking at someone in the eye. Know what I mean?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by guywithpie View Post
I'm embarrassed, upset and disappointed in myself. I'm not ready to walk into a room full of people that I don't know..

DON'T BE!!!! I was real nervous on my first meeting but by the time I left I was so comfortable!! The AA meetings really help, and the steps even more. Hang in there!!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Mr. Guy with Pie, stopping the drinking is just the first part, then recovery needs to take place to unravel 20 yrs. of drinking. That's where the steps and a sponsor come into play. I am the mother of an addict. Once at an open AA mtg. I heard the speaker say that in his mind the def. of an alcoholic was the skid row guy with the brown paper bag, so his drinking wasn't all that bad in comparison. And that image is what kept him in his disease for many yrs, til he surrendered.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Guywithpie. Just wanted to welcome you to SR.

Barb
Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Guy!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stone.. Scaredy.. thanks for the welcome.
Spiritual.. I hear you. This is day one for me. Hard enough without going to a physical support meeting. I am not ready for that. If I get to the point where I don't think I can go on being sober, I may take other options into consideration. Right now I'm just proud of myself because I'm in bed with my laptop, surfing the net with no buzz.

First time in probably 5 months that I haven't had one thing to drink in 24 hours.
I may need some additional support through an AA group, but for right now.. I'm taking this support thing slowly. Hell I can't believe I've already posted 10 comments. I appreciate the advice.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I know where you are coming from, guy, I am 12 days sober, but the only way I could quit was by going to an inpatient detox hospital , I am 42 and had been drinking off and on since I was 17, and have been taking xanax or Klonopin for the last 5 yrs, and now I am having to deal with my anxiety problem, the doctor has given me medications for my anxiety but still having some anxiety. I realized it was serious when I started waking up shaking and had to drink a couple of beers and a pill(xanax) so I would stop shaking so bad.