Notices

2 weeks and 2 days

Old 08-05-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks and 2 days

Well it sounds like a movie title, but it's been 2 weeks and 2 days. I have always been trying to quit and my wife showed me this forum. This is great...it's great to hear your stories.

I used to drink a 12-pack every other day. My wife showed me her concern and so did my 4 year old. I grew up with my mother & father both drinking every day. They were not drunks, but they did drink every day. As a child, you grow up and think that is normal behavior...so without thinking about it...I was doing the same.

I'm 30 and this is the longest time, I've been sober in 10 years. The cravings are not as bad as time goes on....sometimes I have good days...sometimes I have bad days. But the body aches can be a B%T%H...any suggestions???

Some mornings I wake up and it feels like a semi-truck just ran me over. What the weirdest part is ... sometimes I feel like I have the worst hangover ever....even though I didn't touch the stuff...I know is poison and it does take time to get out of your body.....

Keep up the good work...

Drop
Old 08-05-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

16 days is pretty darn good.

I get the feeling, however, that every day will be essentially day 1 for the rest of our lives. I'm at day 6 now and my thirst for a beer or glass of wine is as strong as ever. Both those drinks taste good, so I can't imagine the desire to have one (or five) ever going away...

I'm going to the PGA tomorrow with beer-drinking friends so wish me well. Maybe they'll have O'Douls or something out on the course....
Old 08-05-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drop

Congratulations!! You are doing great!! Thanks for sharing.

Karen

And Point
Good Luck tomorrow. You can do it. FYI Remember though that Odouls has some alcohol content in it. Enough to tempt you to drink more.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was wondering what the general philosophy here is on NA beer. I'm aware of the small alcohol content - but I sure would like to have something besides the gallons of diet coke and fresca I've had over the last week....
Old 08-05-2007, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What about soda water with lime or is that too bland? I am a beer drinker myself so, I understand.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pointmagnet View Post
I was wondering what the general philosophy here is on NA beer. I'm aware of the small alcohol content - but I sure would like to have something besides the gallons of diet coke and fresca I've had over the last week....
I wouldn't encourage you to drink NA beer, Pointmagnet. ANY alcohol content is too much, in my opinion. If you're an alcoholic like me, even the smallest amount sets off an irresistable urge for MORE.

Please be careful.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And to lifebythedrop, Welcome to Sober Recovery.

I hope you keep posting - it does get better.

Rowan
Old 08-05-2007, 09:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Welcome Life,

Congrats on your sober time!

I have to also say stay away from the "fake" beer. Doesn't make sense to me to drink something that reminds me of the other something that I'd much rather have, and can't cause I'm an alcoholic.

:-)
Old 08-05-2007, 10:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No alcohol in my blood

Originally Posted by pointmagnet View Post
16 days is pretty darn good.

I get the feeling, however, that every day will be essentially day 1 for the rest of our lives. I'm at day 6 now and my thirst for a beer or glass of wine is as strong as ever. Both those drinks taste good, so I can't imagine the desire to have one (or five) ever going away...

I'm going to the PGA tomorrow with beer-drinking friends so wish me well. Maybe they'll have O'Douls or something out on the course....
It only takes one drink to want to have another and another and so on....then your back living in that same alcohol related lifestyle all over again. It's like quick sand it slowly consumes you.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Drop, well done on 2 weeks 2 days! It does sound like a movie title!

It all gets better from this point, even the aches and pains. As for the hangover symptoms, its just one of those detox things-at 2 weeks I used to get cold/flu symptoms, weird.