Notices

I need help getting off Norco

Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
friend of Steve

I need help getting off Norco

Hi everyone. I have been on Norco 10/325 for about 3 years. I take alot of pills. I recently saw an episode of House and he reminded me of myself. If you don't watch, he pops a lot of pills a day. Anyway, I also have a debilitating disease and cronic pain. I am so scared about detoxing, but feel like I still really need to do it. I am afraid I will end up killing myself one day. I am in no way suicidal, and to be honest, I have a nice life. But this addiction is killing me and I want to do this w/o rehab. Any suggestions

Thank you all,
Steve
Old 08-02-2007, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
death before dishonor

Yo I feel you but you got to get over that fear of withdrawal. I finally quit when I was ready to embrace the pain and stop trying to figure out a way to escape it. I wish you luck I been there man and if you can make it pass this imagine how free you will feel.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Steve
sorry I know nothing about pills - my problem was drinking. But i know a little about self medicating for chronic pain conditions - it will get you in the end if you don't stop it.

Other guys will be along soon who'll have some better idea than me.

welcome anyway
D
Old 08-03-2007, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, steve. do you have a doc you can talk honestly with about detoxing? keep posting and blessings, k
Old 08-03-2007, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
friend of Steve

Hi Guys,
Thank you for all the kind words. Today is day one and so far so good. I am afraid of the withdrawals but I have to do this for my own good. I am scared, but strong. My main problem is that I have an addictive personality. I try something once, and I am hooked. I don't drink because of my family history. You'd think I'd be smart enough to realize painkillers are just as addicting. It all happened so quick. At first I was ok, taking them as prescribed, but after a while it wasnt enough. They gave me a lift and I thought they helped me through the day. I have had a couple of major family loses over the past 3 years, and that was when I started taking more and more pills. I really appreciate everyones support and will be on this website regularly. Especially when the urge to take them starts. Thank you again to everyone and I want to congratulate everyone here for taking the right steps to cure themselve. You all definately give me the hope I need to get through this.
Thank you,
Steve
Old 08-03-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's good to see you, Steve. Be real careful with those withdrawals. I would talk to a doctor - and keep in close contact in the event they get bad.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
friend of Steve

Can anyone tell me what I should expect with the withdrawals???
Old 08-03-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can probably just google 'Norco withdrawals'
Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

cold sweats, vomiting, joint pain, sleeplessness, fatigue.But they all go away.first day I was cravving,threw away my stash,2nd was pretty bad third was getting a little better and been better every sense.I went cold and couldnt stand the joint pain so I started drinking BAD. Hot baths help but if you quit you are gonna hurt.You got a Doc you can go see I'd suggest that wish I would have done that.I hope I dont have to do it agin.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The first 5-7 days are the worst and then it slowly starts to get better. You can do it.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
friend of Steve

Well, it is only 2:30 and I have already slipped! I took half the amount that I usually do because I couldnt take that horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. I am going to have to bite the bullet and call my doc. I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject and most of what I read says to wean yourself off them. Has anyone else tried this?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
friend of Steve

Thanks Rowan, I have found a lot of info on google.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi Steve . I think you have a good base of people here to reach out to... planning on reading or posting here is a sound decision to help fight the cravings and help get your mind off them. Others will probably be along to suggest N/A meetings. I have no experience w/ that but it might be something to look into. Talking to you doctor would be the best way to see if weaning will be the best course of action for you. I had a problem w/alcohol myself... but I do know people that are addicted to painkillers and I'm symapthtic to your desire to get off them.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah I tried weaning. Did not work for me.Id do good for few days then well you know.For me its all or none.I am always looking for easier softer ways but I've found none.I have had some of the greatest plans they worked great in my mind I just couldnt make them work in my life.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
friend of Steve

Hi all, sorry I haven't been on. I have been weaning myself off slowly. I am taking less than half of what I used to. I am hoping by the end of the week to be off them completely. I have been feeling anxious but otherwise, ok. Thank you everyone for your support. You really are helping me with your advice and kind words. God bless you all and good luck w/ your battles! I will return later today and keep you all posted.