Notices

Feel awful

Old 08-02-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Feel awful

Hi every1 I had a month sober until about 2 weeks ago. I was watchin tv and they talked about the health benefits of red wine and that its good to have a glass a night. Well everything was going well i had max 3 glasses a night. I convinced myself that i was not an alcoholic. I have been going to gym and dietin aswell

Then last night i was highly stress out and had 1 glass red wine, 1 beer and 1 bottle of sparkling wine at home. I have been in bed all day feeling awful.

Not sure what to do whether quit again or moderate?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Amelie,

I'm glad you're back. If you're an alcoholic like me, you cannot moderate.

Whatever you decide, I hope you keep reading and posting.

Welcome back.

Rowan
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey amelie, my daughter is an alcoholic. she tried to moderate/control her drinking. she was not successful, and her disease progressed pretty quickly.

i'm glad you came and posted. i admire your honesty.

blessings, k
Old 08-02-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks both. i think your right - i was so happy that month. I even went to party and remained sober. my head is pounding. i dont think i can do this moderating either all i can think about is drinkin when i am not. Its weird how i can just about stop at 2 drinks but if i have anymore i just carry on. It like i cant control myself. I dont remember drinkin most of the bottle of wine to be honest.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's hard work, Amelie, but it can be done. Reach out for all the help and support that you can. AA and relapse prevention therapy both work for me - and posting here. Keep coming! Especially when you start to feel better, keep coming!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Amelie...

Named after the film?

Glad that you are here.

Karen
Old 08-02-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support.
Yeah it is i could not think of another name when i joined here.
What is relapse prevention therapy?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Thought so! Now you feel like crap cause your hungover..but tomorrow you will probably feel better and what will you do then?

Can you try out AA? It's the only thing that's helped me not to pick up that first drink..
Old 08-02-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amelie View Post
thanks both. i think your right - i was so happy that month. I even went to party and remained sober. my head is pounding. i dont think i can do this moderating either all i can think about is drinkin when i am not. Its weird how i can just about stop at 2 drinks but if i have anymore i just carry on. It like i cant control myself. I dont remember drinkin most of the bottle of wine to be honest.

Hi Amelie,

I crossed the boundaries from social drinking to chronic alcoholism in less that a year at a very young age...It really took me by surprise because I swore I wouln't be like THEM

We are glad you are here. Keep posting
Old 08-02-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am not sure about AA. I tried AA online last time. Bit scared about meeting all the people in the group. I get very anxious. I think i will hang around here and go to thegym!! Havent left the house today what a waste
Old 08-02-2007, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

I tried moderation till I could not function or even at/get to work and my ulitmate crash was , well, breaths away...alcohol is not meant for everyone....its not for me..and may not, be for you....period.

I felt the same way at my first ,meeting just last Friday night...I sat in the back...but...when the grp leader asked who was in their first 30 days of sobriety or a first timer..I raised my hand and stated my name and admitted I was an alcoholic...the cats out of the bag..no going back and I felt much better each day since...several people came up to me and asked me to stay for the next meeting (which I did) ..several shook my hand introduced themselves and offered their phne number if I felt I was in trouble of taking a drink......please go..give it a shot.,...you can do it....you can do it....
Old 08-02-2007, 04:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Carl, i will look into it.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amelie View Post
Thanks for your support.
Yeah it is i could not think of another name when i joined here.
What is relapse prevention therapy?
Hi Amelie,

I'm just home from relapse prevention, and my home group, which is a women's 12 step meeting. A Doctor who is in recovery himself hosts relapse prevention group therapy - we meet twice a week - sometimes 7 people, sometimes 11 or more. We do a lot of talk about feelings, our triggers for using, healthy ways to cope instead of drinking. I've only recently started going - people with many years sobriety - and those who are very new - go there to get help with deeper issues, and also day to day stuff. I've been going to AA meetings for 6 years and have worked the steps (and continue to do so), but wanted to work on other 'stuff'.
Hope that helps.
And, I hope you keep posting. I'm glad you're here
Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sounds like me

Hi Amelie -

I, too, have been going through the very same thing. I made it to 25 days without a drink and then drank a few times, thinking that I finally had it under control. The thing is, just like you, once I allowed myself to "let go" due to stress, celebration, relaxation, whatever -- I didn't (and couldn't) stop at one.

I know that the only reason I made it to 25 days last time was because I immersed myself in reading about alcoholism, talking about my progress with my husband and kids, and reading this board every day. Unfortunately, I got busy and read less, rationalized drinking moderately and worked that into family discussions, and figured I could get by on my own.

I also felt proud of myself for "stopping," and felt absolutely wonderful physically and mentally. I'd stopped taking meds for depression back in January due to weight gain (high blood pressure) and thought -- WOW! This is the answer! Turns out, now that I've been drinking again - I feel like I need meds!!!!

Let's keep checking in here and do it right...

The people on this forum are so incredibly thoughtful and insightful. I thank the Lord he sent me their way.

Liz
Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Ameile,

How are you doing today??

Hope you are doing ok...Let us hear from you..

Thinking of you...