Notices

Did you suffer from depression during alcohol withdrawal?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Thumbs down Did you suffer from depression during alcohol withdrawal?

Hi everyone

Anyone else here suffer from depression while detoxing from alcohol?. I've just really been feeling depressed, apathetic, zero motivation, not much of an appetite, easily stressed out over little things, fatigued, tired, zoned-out, etc.

Just wondering, Need4Change
Old 07-31-2007, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes to all of those.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. All of those.

Even at 9 months , depression and insomnia still bother me from time to time. Not long enough or strong enough to make me want to drink though. Usually a meal, a nap, and an AA meeting take care of it.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Absolutely, and it took awhile to get out of that slump. I had to force myself rather than wait for motivation. I'd also recommend having a check-up, it's possible you might need the help of medication for awhile. I needed to take an SSRI for my first year sober.

What worked for me? AA and the Steps freed me from the bondage of self, I've got a life that was something I used to only dream about. The Fellowship gave me more true friends than I've ever had, and the Promises of the program come true for me every day. The motivation came from within myself, and with the help of a Higher Power.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes to all - and add anxiety to the list!
It will get better - hang in there
Old 07-31-2007, 04:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi There...

Didn't someone once say that "you take away the alcohol from an alcoholic and all you are left with is depression"....

That's what it was for me and I need my meds to feel better for the time being...

D
Old 07-31-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yes for all... apetite... I don't remember... but I do know I wasn't hungry...

Zoned out... !!!! big time...
Old 07-31-2007, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just got back from the doctor for antidepressants .
Old 07-31-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I was depressed long before my drinking began and I had to get on medication to take care of that.

When I stopped drinking, I was overwhelmed with sadness and loss and it took awhile before I was able to see something positive coming out of all this.

Are you making other changes in your life besides not drinking? I always say that balance is the key and I got back into exercise and taking better care of myself.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will have stages of depression. I try & talk myself out of it. Meditate a bit.
I will keep an eye on it & take the next step if need be. Meeting keeps me in focus.
I beat myself up on the guilt part & keep telling myself I'm doing the right thing.
Thanks for this post.

I try & break my habits. Park some place totally different at work, meditate, little prayer, etc....
Seems to really help with my day-to-day routine of thinking.

Also, I try & eat properly. I find that when I have an empty stomach & drink too much coffee & smoke, it irritates my thinking. I'm fine until something goes wrong & I'm tweaked on coffee. Then I get anxiety & off the mind goes. I want to drink to calm down. I know that I can't. So, I try to adjust my everyday habits. I give myself extra time to complete tasks now.

Since I have been sober, my phone has not rang once, from *friends*. Did I know this was a possibility of happening? You bet. It hurts some, but I know I'm doing the right thing for ME.
I know I will be dealing with some topics in the near future that will bring on some depression & I know that no matter how bad things were, I DO HAVE CARING FRIENDS. Things WILL get better.
Thanks for letting me vent & for this post.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

OMG...my first two weeks were incredibly HORRIBLE. I've never felt worse in my entire life..I was all over the place. I was on meds while I was drinking, stayed on them for a bit afterwards until my insurance ran out and now I'm without them for a few months. I've noticed a change, in that I'm more snippy sometimes. But I haven't felt that "lay in the tub and think about ending it" feeling in a very very long time.

Meetings and reading the BB and daily affirmations seriously help me very much.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yes,to all...but i was suffering from depression while i was still drinking,and the alchohol just made it worse.once i quit drinking,yes,i felt like i lost my best friend....and the anxiety kicked in....because i was no longer numbing myself through all my feelings.....but with the help of my doc,my meds,and my therapist,i am learning newer,healthier ways of dealing with ALL my emotions....and i am ok....i also suggest a visit to a doctor....and a counselor...and a meeting or two...whatever you need to get you through this.And,of course...keep coming to SR...alot of support and advise here.....just stick with it..KT
Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Harveysmiles

Just detoxed and depression is terrible
Old 03-28-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
All is Change

I try to get through it by doing normal stuff. Slowly, for me, it changes and contentment takes its place. I used to go for the spectacular and probably as a consequence experienced the obverse too. Looking for the balance means at least having a good chance of finding it.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, I did and was still depressed at 3 months sober. Doc visit essential but should have gone sooner.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Originally Posted by Need4Change View Post
Hi everyone

Anyone else here suffer from depression while detoxing from alcohol?. I've just really been feeling depressed, apathetic, zero motivation, not much of an appetite, easily stressed out over little things, fatigued, tired, zoned-out, etc.

Just wondering, Need4Change
Hi Need4Change,

I can honestly say, and yes this is only day 2 of my soberness, is that I had never had this much energy in so long. What I'm finding is exercising is very, very helpful in trying to fight the fatigue and depression tremendously. Not sure if you are an exercise fiend like I am, but I found exercising (even a simple walk) is the ticket to freeing yourself from depression as you go down this road to recovery.

Good luck! Stay strong. I will definitely be doing the same.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome harleysmiles and zanabanana

I just wanted to let you guys, and everyone else know this thread is nearly 7 years old

D
Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep. I am 42 days into my second attempt at recovery. At the start of the first one in 2009, I felt like I was going through grief, like someone died. It was emotionally very difficult for about six months.

This time, instead of feeling like I've lost someone dear to me (my best friend and lover, alcohol), I feel like I'm trying to escape from my worst enemy. I haven't been depressed particularly, but highly, highly, agitated and anxious, the worst of which seems to have passed a week or so ago.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am on day 27 and I am depressed. I sleep a lot. I am lonely and embarrassed. I lost my boyfriend of 10 months. I stay in my room! I am becoming a recluse!! I used to be outgoing without alcohol..is this normal?