Notices

Did you suffer from depression during alcohol withdrawal?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I suffered from depression before, during, and after alcohol withdrawal. I am one of those people with whom depression stays always. I take anti-depressants, and find that they work better now that I am sober. I certainly no longer feel suicidal, but life still throws curve balls.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Recovering

I just started alcohol withdrawal Thursday. I have been having some funky depression in the morning lately. I felt like killing myself. I've never had depression after quitting alcohol, but this time is different. I'm fighting it though! I can be a loner, so i'm getting out the house and talking to family so I don't get bogged down in my thoughts. I know this will pass, but I've never have never felt so bad. Stay strong everyone going through the same.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had bad bouts with depression too and exercise really helped me out also. That plus flooding my body with a nice daily green drink.

Thats me making my green drink.

Seriously when I did a ten day green drink fast I never felt better in my life. Exercise, juicing and a relative healthy diet made the road to recovery a lot more bearable, alot more.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Noodles

D
Old 08-19-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Human

Anxiety and bouts of depression were pretty rampant the first two weeks. I'm heading into day 21, and just saw a doctor today about the various aches and pains as well as the anxiety related insomnia. They prescribed sleep meds, which normally I'm not okay with, but I guess it must have helped other people so I'll hope for the best. I think it'll take the edge off the anxiety. Never be afraid to ask for help. . Just remember that you are not these erratic emotional properties, that it's your brain firing on newly released canons that were previously silenced by alcohol...Let it know you have more control now than ever
We are here anytime you need!
Old 08-19-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Noodles
Old 08-19-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need4Change View Post
Hi everyone

Anyone else here suffer from depression while detoxing from alcohol?. I've just really been feeling depressed, apathetic, zero motivation, not much of an appetite, easily stressed out over little things, fatigued, tired, zoned-out, etc.

Just wondering, Need4Change
Yes, I was already suffering from depression and alcohol made it worse. Because a number of things that were bothering me were resolved, I was able to stop drinking. I am doing better now. Even though alcohol seems to help it does not. If you are in a dark place take it one day at a time.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Stay away from sleep meds

Slowly the meds will stop being effective. Dosage will be increased and then your brain will get used to that too. Then, you will not be able to sleep at all.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi soberdas - I'm sorry for your experience with sleep aids.

D
Old 02-23-2018, 07:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Boxer

Yes, experienced the same things! It lessens in time..
Old 02-24-2018, 01:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am now at 55 days and thankfully am improving in my mental.state.

Depression descended upon me like a thick fog in early sobriety. I felt incapacitated by its hold on me, no drive no will power just stuck in an intolerable funk. I had given up SSRI,s a few months before stoping drinking, I was not expecting to experience any issues giving up alcohol. Was I in for a kick in the nuts! I was not going to restart one thing i had just managed to stop to help stop another.
Someone described on SR previously imagine yourself in some deep dirty water heading towards the surface where you can see the glimmer of light the closer the surface you get the clearer and brighter the water gets untill you burst out into the sunshine and breath in the warm air.

I am now ascending into clearer waters leaving the murky depths behind.

Dusty😎
Old 02-24-2018, 02:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Rar

Yes, I know this thread is old, but I am also suffering from depression and anxiety. I am still early in my recovery (45 days), so I'm hoping it clears up soon.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I used to think I was suffering from depression in the early part. In fact it was the common banter among us in the rooms. HRU? Oh, a bit depressed was the usual sad reply. Then I met someone with real depression. I never want to go there.

What I thought was depression was in fact self pity, and the doc did';t have any pills for that. Those of us in that "Intake" that got going with the program seemed to lose that feeling quite quickly and most are still sober today.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Rar

What I thought was depression was in fact self pity, and the doc did';t have any pills for that

Yup - I think you're right in my case. Thanks Gottalife.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Yes, I know this thread is old, but I am also suffering from depression and anxiety. I am still early in my recovery (45 days), so I'm hoping it clears up soon.
Hi Rar

If you were not suffering depression during the period that you were consuming then it should be a short episode of depression where your brain is in shock and its internal chemistry has to rebalance.
I should think that you would start seeing some improvement soon. I was previously in much better mood by 80 days.
I made the mistake of complacency drinking over Christmas and paid the price in full.

Rar do not make the same mistake as me. Never go back. keep moving forward towards the light. You will need your mental resilience for the down time during your future surgery.
Make sure to pack the tool box ready!

Best wishes buddy. Dusty😎
Old 02-24-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I don't know...no more like the withdrawal Physically hurts and isn't fun....like 21 days is kinda depressing....it passes though.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Dustitoffman View Post
Hi Rar

If you were not suffering depression during the period that you were consuming then it should be a short episode of depression where your brain is in shock and its internal chemistry has to rebalance.
I should think that you would start seeing some improvement soon. I was previously in much better mood by 80 days.
I made the mistake of complacency drinking over Christmas and paid the price in full.

Rar do not make the same mistake as me. Never go back. keep moving forward towards the light. You will need your mental resilience for the down time during your future surgery.
Make sure to pack the tool box ready!

Best wishes buddy. Dusty😎
Thanks so much Dusty. I really needed this today. ((DUSTY))