Notices

Reality Sinking In...

Old 07-30-2007, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reality Sinking In...

Reality is really sinking in and it sucks. Really, that's been going on for the last week or so. I guess the best thing my husband could have done for me was what he did, and threw me out of the house. It made me take a look and decide what I want.

I've thought and cried over all the things that I've done to myself, my children, and my family through my drinking. If only I could undo all of it. But I can't!

I've had my children with me since Friday, but I have to return them to my husband tomarrow night in order to enter into rehab on Wednesday. That means, going back to my house. All the memories of everything that has went on lies there.

My oldest son is from a previous marriage, he is with me too. my ex has custody of him, but I have very liberal visitation. I have to have a conversation with him which I truely dread. We have a decent relationship now, but he is not a very understanding person. I fear him trying to take away visitation from me. It's hard enough on my son that he lives 1 1/2 hours from me, now I have to have some sort of conversation with him to as to where I will be. It will be more than just 30 days since my plans are to go to a halfway house. He hasn't seen me drink much other than maybe a beer or two. He's almost 9. I'm not sure to tell him the whole truth or not. I think he's mature enough to understand. But I don't know if I should put that burdon on his shoulders, or give him a more vague explanation as to where I will be.

I am grateful that I am getting to go to rehab, but then I dread the aspects of being cut off from the world. I'm use to being with my children. At least talking to my husband even if we are not "really" together right now. But it's what I have to do to survive this.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Amanda you are doing what you need to do hun. Keep focussed on your recovery. It is tough and you have found yourself in a nasty situation caused by alcohol, only by giving up the alcohol can things get better for you. I am sure they will given time.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Amanda,

I feel your pain...Facing our wreckage caused by our drinking is really painful during early sobriety...

Grab onto all the support you can and just believe it will get better...It DOES get better as long as we don't drink...

Thinking of you..
Old 07-31-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Amanda:

All you really need to tell the 9 yr old right now is that mommy has some problems and needs to go for 'treatment' and NO it's not cancer. You can tell him you will be gone for a while (don't say exactly how long, but you will phone him and send him cards and letters.

Buy yourself a long distance card at Wal Mart, Walgreens, whereever they have them by you, they are refillable too, that way you can still be in contact with him.

Above all.....................................focus on you. This is for you, for a better life. Learn all you can, get all the tools you can. This is the MOST IMPORTANT THING you will do FOR YOU!

In time, using the tools you will garner, the 'wreckage' of the past will resolve itself, please focus on TODAY.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-31-2007, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes please focus on today, the rest will follow.