Notices

hi

Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hippy

hi

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I don't really know what to tell about myself at this point.
I am an adult child of parents who had drink probs and have a fair bit of emotional scarring from my childhood.
I am now dignosed bi polar and have a prob with drink in as much as I overindulge on a fairly regular basis, however I do go long periods of time without any or drinking sensibly with no real desire to drink.
I think my overdrinking is symptomatic of my bi polar, but what ever it is, I shouldn't do it as it creates probs with absobrtion of meds etc and makes my mood swings more pronounced.
I know some people would disagree with me and say I am in denial. Maybe this is the case?
Hippy
Old 07-26-2007, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Hippy,

Love the name btw! Welcome to SR - there are other members here who are in recovery and who suffer from bipolar - they should be along shortly to welcome you and to share their own experiences.
I do know that drinking while on meds for bipolar is not a good idea.
Please keep reading and posting - I'm glad you're here with us.

Rowan
Old 07-26-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, hippy! keep posting! blessings, k
Old 07-26-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! For a very long time I didn't think that I had a problem. I just drank too much every now and then. I, too, went long periods of time without drinking or even the desire. It got worse though. It was over time, but it did. You are fortunate that you are recognizing it now before it is worse.

Know that there are plenty of people out there that know what you are going through and are here to support you.

You are in my thoughts.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Hippy! There is a section on here for adult children of alcoholics:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...holic-parents/

I just started some of the reading there and have found it very helpful.

Welcome!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
hippy

thanks

thank you for the welcomes. I am unsure where to start?
I read a bit of the link given in the previous post and looked through some of the 'stickys'
The thing is....I feel incredibly guilty about posting about my probs re my parents drinking probs.....but I see this is quite normal? This makes me feel incredibly (even more so) guilty again! I don't know why! It is like even the researching of it makes me party to revealing some deep dark secret?

Hippy
Old 07-26-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi hippyhippy,

Welcome!

I hope you begin to feel comfortable and to be able to share your issues. I think most of us find that we are not alone with our problems when we come here. There are others here who understand what we are dealing with.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello HippyHippy

I would just like to say that reading your message was like reading something I could have written myself.

I have not been diagnosed with Bi polar but I did see my parents abuse alcohol when I was growing up... at least... I felt uncomfortable being around them when they drank and always worried about how they would behave when they drank the next time.

I myself have had the same pattern as you. Not drinking all the time, but VERY overindulgent when I do. This has caused a lot of painful situations and I just don't want that for myself or the people I love.

I really wish you all the best and I hope you come here and talk as often as possible. I myself am new here but this place has given me enormous strength and understanding. That is EXACTLY what I need and will be needing for what looks like the rest of my life. I went to my first AA meeting last night and am looking forward to the next one !!

Wish you all the best and peace from
Yasmin
Old 07-26-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome hippy!....
Old 07-26-2007, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

From one hippy to another...welcome

D
Old 07-26-2007, 03:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post
thank you for the welcomes. I am unsure where to start?
I read a bit of the link given in the previous post and looked through some of the 'stickys'
The thing is....I feel incredibly guilty about posting about my probs re my parents drinking probs.....but I see this is quite normal? This makes me feel incredibly (even more so) guilty again! I don't know why! It is like even the researching of it makes me party to revealing some deep dark secret?

Hippy
I have had 2 alcoholic grandmothers die of drink........that matters..one was extremely close to....its not always beasy throwing that out there but I have to discuss it to break through...my 2 cents...if you feel just tell your story if you can...or will....I have read tons of them since I found this place and I don't feel as alone anymore...