Notices

Feeling restless, irritable and discontent

Old 07-24-2007, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
P38

My wife would say I’ve always been like that… Honestly though, I’m letting little things that at best should be annoyances really get to me. One day it could be an aggressive driver or tailgater, the next day the computer crashes, today was telemarketer’s calls. All relatively normal occurrences in our lives today, but I get all out of sorts of it.

My Dr would prescribe Xanax when I get feeling this way, that was when I was drinking; and it generally did what it was prescribed to do. Course if I were to take it now, I’d be concerned it may want to stimulate those areas of the brain that grave those foreign substances…

But I have to get this behavior under control. I’m nine months sober now. Have a sponsor in name only currently; I recognize I need to work on getting another one. I do a meeting a day, and that gets me by, but hardly happy, joyous and free.

Ok, couple of questions:
1. Is it normal to feel the restless, irritable and discontent mode at nine months?
2. Should I be concerned with effects of Xanex Rx, completely under the dr care?
3. Maybe I shouldn’t have quit smoking…
Old 07-25-2007, 04:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

p-38, you have a parachute for that rig?

answers to ?'s

IMO... for me!

1-it can be from one day to twenty years...

its all based on that emotional rearangment...

the daily spiritual condition

the its not all about me isms...

2-you bet!

3- perhaps!

good wishes p-38

if you have a parachute, i hope its pink...

xxoo, rz

ps, get work'n them steps if your use'n A.A.

things may get better sooner...
Old 07-25-2007, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by P38 View Post

Ok, couple of questions:
1. Is it normal to feel the restless, irritable and discontent mode at nine months?
2. Should I be concerned with effects of Xanex Rx, completely under the dr care?
3. Maybe I shouldn’t have quit smoking…

Hi,

Oh yes, Zanax is a mind altering substance...Exercise caution with the use of them. I switched alcohol to Zanax as it does numb emotional feelings...I was soon taking more Zanax than I should. Detox from Zanax was horrible...I was taking this medication for nine months.

Thinking of you, keep posting
Old 07-25-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR. I've had xanax without ill effects, then again I know people who suffer adverse effects, maybe you could talk this through with your DR.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the past 20 years of bouncing in & out, I have found I get out of the program what I put into it. I'll have 10 years finally in August. Can't believe it, but "using" the sponsor is the idea, work the steps, making the meetings. . .good for you, write in a journal, read the material, pray and last but certainly not least. . .work with others. . .get out of yourself and help someone else. Just my suggestions, ones that were given to me. . .I'm in a "not-so-grand" place these past couple of weeks, but. . .I'm diligently working on getting "back to the basics" and working on getting my spiritual condition back to "better". Hugs to you. . .
Old 07-25-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

P38,

I'm glad that you posted. I think it's a good idea to get a new sponsor, or to start using the one that you have, and get working on the steps. Obviously, meetings are helping to keep you sober, but you don't sound very contented.
I've been that way too, from time to time.
I've started spending more time before and after the meeting with others in recovery, listening, sharing, identifying. It's helped. I'm not very good about calling my sponsor either, but I do connect often with others in recovery.
This week I will be starting group therapy - relapse prevention. I've got a year clean and sober, and it's finally time to start working on some 'stuff' - need to do a good housecleaning, if you know what I mean.
Start putting that extra 2% into your recovery, and I'm sure it will pay off in dividends.
I hope you keep posting and let us know how things are going. Hang on to your sobriety!

Rowan
Old 07-25-2007, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you quit smoking, keep it up, you are still detoxing, mentally. Nicotine will do its best to convince you to pick it back up. Stay strong, the crave will pass, they last about 3 minutes each crave (but time slows to a crawl, look at a watch) go for a walk, drink a large glass of water, after 3 minutes you will be back to normal!
It happens up to 7 times a day at the peak but it will drop down to 2-3 after a few days.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

get working on the steps. Obviously, meetings are helping to keep you sober, but you don't sound very contented.
I've been that way too, from time to time.
I've started spending more time before and after the meeting with others in recovery, listening, sharing, identifying. It's helped. I'm not very good about calling my sponsor either, but I do connect often with others in recovery.
This. Step work and working with/talking to other alkies.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
P38

P38 on the mend

Thanks for the advice and support. The weeks been getting better, especially with the help of you fine folks. :-)

Rusty, no parachutes buddy. But then my avatar is what I'd like to have one day; I settle for a PA28 in the mean time. No aeorbatic flight, needs no chute.

I've pretty much dismissed the Xanex option. If I have more of these spells where I fail to maintain control I'll discuss with the MD. I do however still very much on abien to get to sleep..., but they're pricey...

I've taken in a meeting every day this week. Showed up early and chaired or discussion leader, stayed late and cleaned up coffee pots. Im not sounding my own horn here, just wanted you to know I understand the service side of our sobriety.

Ah, the quitting smoking, that was worst first. Thats been over 3 month snow, its hardly an issue.