Notices

I don't trust anyone...

Old 07-22-2007, 11:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't trust anyone...

Has anyone else heard the saying "I don't trust anyone who doesn't drink"? Where did that come from and why does it bother me so much? I don't know why that saying keeps on finding itself in my thoughts...but it has been. Anyway just a silly question...wondering if anyone has any insight. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's obviously the thinking of 'the alcoholic mind', and perhaps reminders of it's 'way of thinking' make you uncomfortable. They do to me

Or do you mean you're bothered by the fact that you CARE who said it.

Which, frankly, would make some sense. Cause you not only shouldn't care who said it, but ... it's also a really dumb saying to begin with...
Old 07-23-2007, 12:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

haha... well that's the first I've been able to hear someone say it's a dumb saying.

I think it bothers me because I'm just recently back on "the bus" so to speak and that I don't want to encouter a situation where I'm "untrustworthy" because I choose a diet coke over a beer or wine. I guess I want to be perfect...perfection, what is that anyway?! but yeah, I don't want to feel like I'm defective because I can't drink.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the saying refers to those types that do nothing wrong, always sat at the front of the class and squealed to the teacher at the drop of a hat. Infact, those types are the very opposite in some ways to the alcoholic so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's interesting...cause I was/am the girl who sits at the front of the class. Sounds silly but to most everyone I come off as that girl who has everything under control. In fact, I know most people that have worked/been in class with me would never think that I had this problem, with alcohol that is. I come accross as the "perfect girl" who is honest, punctual and completely responsible. It wasn't until recently that alcohol almost jeopordized my job. And no one attributed my behavior at that time with alcohol abuse.

I think a lot of us are perfectionists and I know that part of the reason I've been struggling (and I don't think, I know, I know I'm not alone in this) is that I think I can or want to believe I can control my drinking. I know this is a lie. But in so many other parts of my life I've been able to be that successul and "faultess" (ha! not at all) girl.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was talking to a lady recently. She told me she went out with a guy for a whole year, never realising he was an alcoholic. Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about that saying - I mean lets face it, for most of us alcoholics you definitely would not trust us if we did drink. As for the perfectionist thing, that is a good point. We become addicted to getting the job done perfectly. I think I can become addicted to almost anything. One day scientists will develop a pill and we will be able to wave goodbye to the addiction folly. I mean, if they can do it for depression, why not addiction?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hear you. Yes, I want to get the job done perfectly. If they ever developed a pill like that...well this forum wouldn't exist. Until then, I/we have to deal with our reality...
Old 07-23-2007, 01:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

On the other hand, is addiction really a negative. One man becomes addicted to running, and becomes a champion olympic runner. Or we are addicted to technology so invent new gadgets. We just become addicted to a chemical that blunts reality just enough for us to forget for a while.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know I used to hear that from a few family members too. I think to them, if someone doesn't drink it means they are afraid they will become too uninhibited or unleash a wilder side of themselves. So if someone doesn't drink - you shouldn't trust them because they are hiding something inside. Pretty silly huh?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by mps101 View Post
That's interesting...cause I was/am the girl who sits at the front of the class. Sounds silly but to most everyone I come off as that girl who has everything under control. In fact, I know most people that have worked/been in class with me would never think that I had this problem, with alcohol that is. I come accross as the "perfect girl" who is honest, punctual and completely responsible. It wasn't until recently that alcohol almost jeopordized my job. And no one attributed my behavior at that time with alcohol abuse.

I think a lot of us are perfectionists and I know that part of the reason I've been struggling (and I don't think, I know, I know I'm not alone in this) is that I think I can or want to believe I can control my drinking. I know this is a lie. But in so many other parts of my life I've been able to be that successul and "faultess" (ha! not at all) girl.
I was that girl that sat there as well. Maybe it was you that I elbowed to get the prime desk in the middle of the first row. My sister is the class clown, and I guarantee that more people have thought she drinks once in a while, yet neither of us have had a drink since we were about 15. (my drug of choice was prescription drugs, I was lucky that I hate the taste of alcohol. If not, I believe I'd still be in active addiction to it).

Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
On the other hand, is addiction really a negative. One man becomes addicted to running, and becomes a champion olympic runner. Or we are addicted to technology so invent new gadgets. We just become addicted to a chemical that blunts reality just enough for us to forget for a while.
Those who are addicted will go beyond healthy means to obtain their goals. Jose Canseco comes to mind. He was so addicted to baseball he began to use steroids to achieve that peak performance. I knew an Olympic athlete who was addicted to his sport. He ended up with a string of broken relationships, personal and professional, due to his 'addiction' to the sport. He could not live a balanced life. Of no surprise, he ended up replacing this addiction to his sport with drugs. Just blunting reality for us to forget for awhile is not addiction. Letting the chemical use take over our lives is addiction.