Notices

i dont believe alcoholism is a disease, is this a problem?

Old 07-22-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I urge you to consider why you consider 'cancer' a 'disease' and not alcoholism.

cancer there is no choice in the matter....alcoholism is a choice...I choose to drink, and destroy my body...nobody chooses to have cancer...
Old 07-22-2007, 07:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm with BEST on this..and a lot of people.
It's not a problem until it becomes a debate.
and whatever the heck you call it...i got it.

anyway, I'm not a bad person trying to become good.
I'm a sick person trying to get well
That'll be something in my favor if i lose in a debate..lol
Old 07-22-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

seems the AMA calling it a disease should be enuf.....

and as suggested above, why even spend the energy to analyze it???
Old 07-22-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i wouldnt call it a disease, id call it addictive,,, (and addictive personalities)... the diseases come later eg liver disease..
Old 07-23-2007, 04:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

bva
We think of it as a disease in the sense that it is a progressive illness which is PERMANENT and TERMINAL.
agreed for me, know it all to well first hand...

hey, for the easier softer way crowd...

how bout... "afliction"
Old 07-23-2007, 04:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Who ws it who said that the critical mechanism for evaluating our beliefs is how useful they are?

I didn't believe alcoholism was a "disease" (whatever you want to call a condition over which I was/am powerless), and I couldn't stop drinking. Then that belief became unsustainable, since life kept showing me that my belief and reality didn't match up. I quite obviously was powerless over alcohol. And lo and behold, when I believed it was a disease, I stopped drinking. I think in logic they call it reductio ad absurdum.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I truly appreciate all that have shared before me in light of discussion. I thought that I were fairly sharp in any given area; yet for some odd reason I just couldn't get a grip on this dis-ease of active addiction. For years I'd disected stuff to no avail;near death in all my smarts. There's one book which deals with the nature of Addiction; and it's followed with another book that deals with the aspects of Recovery. And, I found that it wasn't until I abandon myself to this program written so simple; which have been tried, proven and tested in the lives of thousands and thousands, and millions and millions of now recoverying addicts/alcoholics for years and years one day at a time all over the world. Today, I know it works because I tried it; and now live it just as it was given. seloth@. tfs "More Will Be Revealed"
Old 07-23-2007, 06:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
let it grow!

very interesting reading!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I used to hear the Oldtimers at the meetings say, "There's no one too stupid to get the program, but there are some who are too smart to get it." Could it be that what they meant is that some outsmart themselves by looking for loopholes in such a way as to perhaps justify relapse?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by overcomer32 View Post
I dont and never have bought into the whole "Alcoholism is a disease" concept. To me, its an addiction, plain and simple. I used to be addicted to sugar (and why not, since almost all alkies are hypoglycemic). I would never have dreamed to call that sugar addiction a "disease."

I surely hope that my differing belief on this doesnt get me cast out from the land of Alcoholics!

Its an addiction... like an addiction to caffeine, or nicotine. Cancer is a real disease, so is Parkinson's or Alzheimer's or many other ones. But addiction to the chemical of alcohol, a disease? I think not.

Will people be "upset" or "offended" with me cuz I dont agree?

I say, whatever you call it, as long as u find a way to get OFF it, thats fine!

I don't believe that addiction is a disease either. Sure, some folks will be upset if you try to debate them over it, but why bother? Just don't call anyone names and you'll be fine.