Notices

Is it too late

Old 07-13-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it too late

I've been here before. Years ago when I thought about quitting. I've been a drinker since I was 20, heavy since about 25. For the past 7 years I've been drinking about a pint of whiskey a night, the last few months it's been a quart a night. I'm about to turn 41. I want to quit but I'm afraid the damage may already be done. I don't feel very healthy at all. I know the answer will be it's never too late but seriously what sort of damage have I done.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Well, you're right. It's never too late.

I can't tell you what sort of damage has been done but why not get to a doctor and get checked out.

My mom, who is 60, has 5 years sober. Wasn't too late for her. She now has a whole new life. I have my mom back.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 20years View Post
I've been here before. Years ago when I thought about quitting. I've been a drinker since I was 20, heavy since about 25. For the past 7 years I've been drinking about a pint of whiskey a night, the last few months it's been a quart a night. I'm about to turn 41. I want to quit but I'm afraid the damage may already be done. I don't feel very healthy at all. I know the answer will be it's never too late but seriously what sort of damage have I done.
Hello and welcome,

You have come to the right place. A suggestion, see a doctor...The doctor can help you begin to quit drinking and tell you by testing if there is any damage from the drinking. Don't try to quit on your own.

You will need support also. Keep posting here. Lots of folks have been where you are , and we want to encourage you towards sobriety. Think about joining AA...
Old 07-13-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's never too late.

None of us know what is going to happen tomorrow. Any of us could be affected by some kind of medical condition tomorrow or next week. But, in the meantime, why not live a sober life?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery, I'm glad you posted.

See your doctor. Even if your liver still looks good (and I would doubt that given the amount you drink), that's no reason to keep going until you're facing serious health consequences.

I'm going to turn 40 soon, and I just celebrated a year clean and sober. Never thought I could do it. I know a man who is 78 and who has 5 months of sobriety. It's never too late.

Please keep posting, and let us get to know you better. We understand.

Rowan
Old 07-13-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, I'm going to try.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome and yes it's never too late, I'd go to see your DR. and get an overhaul.
Glad that you found us.

indigo
Old 07-13-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

20years,

It is very much worth doing because this is about the time of life when things start breaking down, seizures start, and people die.

I was 41 when the doctors told me I could be sober or likely dead in the near future. It was a tough decsion. Does that tell you something about drinking? You are drinking a little less than me when i quit. My liver was more or less alright. it was my heart they got worried about.

Consider this. Whatever plans you have for the future, if you are dead, you have nothing. Without YOU, your future does not matter.

I sometimes reflect on the fact I knew about six people in rehab that are now dead. They were my age or younger.

If there is anything within you still capable of making a decision to save yourself, I urge you to at least try. If you can not quit, seek medical intervention.

It is likely to be a hard and lonely road. The alternitive is no road.

Think it over.

If you are not ready to make a decision I ask you to continue posting. You are welcome whether inebriated or sober.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stormtooth View Post
20years,

It is very much worth doing because this is about the time of life when things start breaking down, seizures start, and people die.

I was 41 when the doctors told me I could be sober or likely dead in the near future. It was a tough decsion. Does that tell you something about drinking? You are drinking a little less than me when i quit. My liver was more or less alright. it was my heart they got worried about.

Consider this. Whatever plans you have for the future, if you are dead, you have nothing. Without YOU, your future does not matter.

I sometimes reflect on the fact I knew about six people in rehab that are now dead. They were my age or younger.

If there is anything within you still capable of making a decision to save yourself, I urge you to at least try. If you can not quit, seek medical intervention.

It is likely to be a hard and lonely road. The alternitive is no road.

Think it over.

If you are not ready to make a decision I ask you to continue posting. You are welcome whether inebriated or sober.

Thanks, I'm doing this for my 12 year old boy. I don't want him growing up without a Dad.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I started drinking at 14 and stopped at 41. 27 years of abusing my body, but with two years of sobriety I haven't felt this healthy in a long time.

It never is too late until we drink ourselves to death, and that's always a possibility if you choose to continue drinking. Get a physical, be honest with your doctor, most if not all of the damages can eventually be reversed if you have the willingness.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi 20 Years. I am early 40s and trying to stop. I have found the road to recovery hard at times but not as hard as living drunk. It is lonely too but not as lonely as drinking. Well done you for admitting the problem and coming to find answers.

I just read a book called Under the Influence. It describes physically what happens when we drink. There are excerpts from it on this forum at the top.

If and when you see your doc, dont forget to be totally honest. I hope you will be ok now. You have friends here already who understand.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Here is a link full of information...
excerpts from the book that convinced me to quit drinking

I was 53 and am now 71.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I stay quit with God and AA.

Hope you find your answers to a healthier life of joy
I certainly did!...

Blessings

Last edited by CarolD; 07-13-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Started drinking at 16...drank (and smoked) for 32 years...now have 27+ years of continued sobriety, and am a "recovering smoker" of about 21 years. I don't regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it...but, I'm sure grateful I had a nephew in AA who introduced me to meetings, so I could see where I was headed if I didn't quit. Thankfully, I was admitted to a hospital and a 10-day program which started me on the long road to recovery. I've met folks in AA as young as 17 and as old as 80...recovery is where and when you decide you've just had enough!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi 20 years,
Don't assume you have any permanent damage....the body is a remarkable thing! It wants to return to healthy. So many factors are involved, genetics being a very big one!! Like the other posters see your doctor, he/she will run a few simple tests and you will have a better grasp on whats going on. I always say don't worry untill you have to. (In this type of situation). A 12 yr. old son is one d**n good reason to make some changes. I wish you all the best. Keep us posted. Julie
Old 07-13-2007, 02:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Lurker

Hey 20 yrs. Another early 40's guy trying to recover. My body feels better every day that I do not drink. There is another reason not to drink, and I think you will see it in the eyes of your children if you quit. It is there love. It was something Icould not see through the drunkin fog I was in. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, allow me to ask you this question: lets just say you do go see a doctor, and s/he tells you WHATEVER. Good or bad, doesn't matter now does it? They tell you 'oh you're fine!' and you think 'cool, no need to stop then!' Or, they give you bad news, and you think 'well, then what's the use, might as well just finish off the job I've already started'.

That sort of thinking is the nature of the disease we (for the most part all) share here. And it underlies exactly WHY, at three posts, your alcoholic mind is already telling you to pose this sort of question, because deep down, the alcoholic mind is way ahead of the rational mind, and it already has the answer (which, for it, is ALWAYS: how to keep you drinking) figured out, you see?

To combat this part of your brain, you must learn to recognize how it works, first off. For that I recommend the following:
1) Find a meeting of A.A. in your area
2) Go there, sober preferably, but it's not required, and be on time so you can hear all about the program, how it works, etc.
3) At your first meeting, identify yourself as a newcomer in your first thirty days when it's requested, contribute a buck if you can when the basket is passed, and at this point, I’d recommend that you inform the room that you're looking for a sponsor. Even if a ‘sponsor’ sounds like the most horrid thing you can possibly imagine.
4) When it's over, stick around after the meeting, and just look around for someone(s) to talk to. Chances are, they'll also be seeking you out. Also, you should buy yourself a Big Book, and ask for the free book "Living Sober".
5) I suggest spending every extra moment you would’ve been drinking or thinking about drinking over the next few days/weeks READING and THINKING about these two books.
6. Don't get hung up on the God stuff, Lord knows I sure did as an avowed atheist going into the rooms. You will see the value of the spiritual portion of the program only over time if you're like most people.
7. The more important part is just to MAKE THE EFFORT EVERY DAY for the next 90 days to just SHOW UP, SIT DOWN, SHUT YOUR BRAIN and (for the most part) YOUR MOUTH, and just LISTEN to the people there. Eventually, you’ll get to know, and start to hang out afterwards with the folks there, start going to get coffee with them after the meetings, that kinda thing. Around this same time, the tenets of the program and the people in it will begin to suggest you do things you don't want to do (much like I’m doing right now). That's okay you don’t feel like doing them, and you NEVER HAVE TO. But my humble suggestion is that you DO THEM ANYWAY. These people KNOW WHAT THEY THEMSELVES DO/DID to stay sober, and what works for THEM will work for YOU, whether your alcoholic mind believes this fact or not, I promise you once you shut that f*cker up for a minute or two, your rational mind will start speaking the same words to you that I have.
8. In every meeting, especially the first few (or dozen, or hundred, or whatever) our alcoholic brain will sit there listening for the DIFFERENCES between 'them' and 'you'. I beg of you with all the earnestness at my disposal to make repeated, concerted efforts to tell that part of your brain to STFU when it starts speaking up. I promise you, in between those bouts you will hear A LOT of similarities with SOME people there. And that's what you're there for, particularly at first.
9. Until you BELIEVE what STEP ONE says, keep listening to others, and pondering STEP ONE, over and over, you'll see it posted there on the wall. You'll see a bunch of other steps, and they'll sound scary and involved and all that, but DON'T WORRY about them or give up on AA because it's all 'too involved' or whatever your alcoholic brain will try to impress upon you. Just focus on STEP ONE, read those two books, cover to cover, KEEP COMING BACK, and try to come back sober, but if you relapse, keep coming back anyway.
10. As soon as you can, FIND A SPONSOR you feel you can work with, and then proceed to DO WHATEVER THEY TELL YOU TO DO.

Next thing you know, you will understand yourself, your disease, have a bunch of REAL friends who want nothing more than to help YOU stay sober, and best of all, your life is gonna be getting a WHOLE LOT BETTER. Not to mention, you'll soon realize that your current health situation is irrelevant to whether or not you need to stop drinking.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not…they are being fulfilled among us everyday, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly…
Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome bvaljalo, glad you're here also! Very nice words of wisdom for your first post on SR.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Who knows what damage you have done, it could be none. However at this age (I am 38) its basically just a matter of time, it will get you one way or the other for sure.

Whether you have done damage or not makes no difference to the main thing which is whether you want to quit or not.

bvaljalo-I am new to AA and I liked your suggestions, very useful thankyou.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
Well, allow me to ask you this question: lets just say you do go see a doctor, and s/he tells you WHATEVER. Good or bad, doesn't matter now does it? They tell you 'oh you're fine!' and you think 'cool, no need to stop then!' Or, they give you bad news, and you think 'well, then what's the use, might as well just finish off the job I've already started'.

That sort of thinking is the nature of the disease we (for the most part all) share here. And it underlies exactly WHY, at three posts, your alcoholic mind is already telling you to pose this sort of question, because deep down, the alcoholic mind is way ahead of the rational mind, and it already has the answer (which, for it, is ALWAYS: how to keep you drinking) figured out, you see?

To combat this part of your brain, you must learn to recognize how it works, first off. For that I recommend the following:
1) Find a meeting of A.A. in your area
2) Go there, sober preferably, but it's not required, and be on time so you can hear all about the program, how it works, etc.
3) At your first meeting, identify yourself as a newcomer in your first thirty days when it's requested, contribute a buck if you can when the basket is passed, and at this point, I’d recommend that you inform the room that you're looking for a sponsor. Even if a ‘sponsor’ sounds like the most horrid thing you can possibly imagine.
4) When it's over, stick around after the meeting, and just look around for someone(s) to talk to. Chances are, they'll also be seeking you out. Also, you should buy yourself a Big Book, and ask for the free book "Living Sober".
5) I suggest spending every extra moment you would’ve been drinking or thinking about drinking over the next few days/weeks READING and THINKING about these two books.
6. Don't get hung up on the God stuff, Lord knows I sure did as an avowed atheist going into the rooms. You will see the value of the spiritual portion of the program only over time if you're like most people.
7. The more important part is just to MAKE THE EFFORT EVERY DAY for the next 90 days to just SHOW UP, SIT DOWN, SHUT YOUR BRAIN and (for the most part) YOUR MOUTH, and just LISTEN to the people there. Eventually, you’ll get to know, and start to hang out afterwards with the folks there, start going to get coffee with them after the meetings, that kinda thing. Around this same time, the tenets of the program and the people in it will begin to suggest you do things you don't want to do (much like I’m doing right now). That's okay you don’t feel like doing them, and you NEVER HAVE TO. But my humble suggestion is that you DO THEM ANYWAY. These people KNOW WHAT THEY THEMSELVES DO/DID to stay sober, and what works for THEM will work for YOU, whether your alcoholic mind believes this fact or not, I promise you once you shut that f*cker up for a minute or two, your rational mind will start speaking the same words to you that I have.
8. In every meeting, especially the first few (or dozen, or hundred, or whatever) our alcoholic brain will sit there listening for the DIFFERENCES between 'them' and 'you'. I beg of you with all the earnestness at my disposal to make repeated, concerted efforts to tell that part of your brain to STFU when it starts speaking up. I promise you, in between those bouts you will hear A LOT of similarities with SOME people there. And that's what you're there for, particularly at first.
9. Until you BELIEVE what STEP ONE says, keep listening to others, and pondering STEP ONE, over and over, you'll see it posted there on the wall. You'll see a bunch of other steps, and they'll sound scary and involved and all that, but DON'T WORRY about them or give up on AA because it's all 'too involved' or whatever your alcoholic brain will try to impress upon you. Just focus on STEP ONE, read those two books, cover to cover, KEEP COMING BACK, and try to come back sober, but if you relapse, keep coming back anyway.
10. As soon as you can, FIND A SPONSOR you feel you can work with, and then proceed to DO WHATEVER THEY TELL YOU TO DO.

Next thing you know, you will understand yourself, your disease, have a bunch of REAL friends who want nothing more than to help YOU stay sober, and best of all, your life is gonna be getting a WHOLE LOT BETTER. Not to mention, you'll soon realize that your current health situation is irrelevant to whether or not you need to stop drinking.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not…they are being fulfilled among us everyday, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly…
Wow, that's a whole lot to take in. I'm very familiar with AA, attended my first one at 10 yrs of age. My Dad went the last 30 years of his life. The God thing has always been a problem for me.

Your opening paragraph describes everything I was thinking when I'm honest with myself. I know I have to quit. It's just accepting it. I never really considered drinking a crutch for me, I just like to drink, I don't get mean or crazy. My ex wife said I drank more than anyone she knew but said it was never an issue with us because I never got hammered and I was responsible enough not to drive drunk or even drink around our son. Now it's just my health seems to suffering.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

my thought are with you 20 years....keep strong....I never thought my husband could even try to stop....but he found it in himself....and with AA meetings and a good sponsor he's staying strong even when he feels those old feelings come up....just one day at a time.