Notices

Going to try again- hope I make it

Old 07-24-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Day 3

Hi Guys, I'm here. On Day 3 today. I was depressed today and didn't want to get out of bed. Also feeling overwhelmed about doing my step 1 bookwork. I just got off the phone with my sister and now feel better. I knew I would. She told me to just work the steps at my own pass(sp.) and not worry how other people do them.

Sometimes i do get myself work up, wondering if I'm doing them right, am i doing them fast enough. Yes, I am a perfectionist. I think i have been my whole life. I'm not sure which meeting I'm going to tonight. It all according if my husband wants to come or not. But I'm going to one of them anyway.

Barb
Old 07-24-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
let it grow!

progress, not perfection. hugs, k
Old 07-24-2007, 03:17 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

progress, not perfection. hugs, k
listen to the Mayor, scaredy !
anyone who wears flip flops can't be bad

D
Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone, Doing a lot better tonight and not stressing any more about the steps. I'm just going to do them at my own pace. I think I was dwelling about a story I read in a old grapevine. This guy was talking about how AA changed and young people where doing their steps a lot faster today. He said that they where doing step 4 at 3 or 4 months sober.

So that freaked me out. I'll be lucky to be on step 2 at 3 months. So I'm not going to worry about it and do step 1 like I did all those years before.

The book I'm using is called " A gentle path through the twelve steps" - by Patrick Carnes, Ph.D. This book is good for what ever addiction you have.

Barb
Old 07-24-2007, 10:19 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

just wanted to thank you scaredykat for that book. i look forward to reading it eventually.

i'm one of those people that fall in between AA and rational recovery and use parts of both along with anything else i'm able to come in contact with. But no matter how much AA is bashed the fact is, as far as i'm able to see it, AA is the only one that tries to take care of the soul. No other program does that i've seen. In my opinion it will never lose its power or effectiveness because of that. Along with all the other things it has going for it.

Hope you have a great recovery and especially a good day tomorrow. take care
Old 07-24-2007, 11:20 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't worry Barb...I'm not an AAer, but it seems to me common sense to work the steps at the pace that you want to, together with your sponsor.

It is *your* recovery after all

hope you're well !
D
Old 07-25-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
let it grow!

scaredy? what's up? k
Old 07-25-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Day 4

Hi Everyone, thanks for your replies. Doing well today so far. I'm eating good, got enough rest last night. I do have to change one behavior that isn't good for me. I still like to stay up real late like when i use to drink. They say in the program to change people, places, and things. Things is what i have to work on more then people and places where I didn't go nowhere drinking. So things is a big one for me.

msh58- I hope your able to find that book. It was wrote in 1993. You might be able to order it or something. If you can't get it there are probably some other good recovery books in your local bookstore. I agree with what you said about AA. That's my goal again to have spirituality again, and to be happy, joyous, and free.

Barb
Old 07-26-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Day 5

Hi Everyone, I won't be able to write much. Very busy day and stressful. But I'm all right and I haven't had a drink in 5 days.

We have a guy coming over in a little more then a hour to look at our windows. We're going to see if we qualify for a grant to get new windows. It's a program to help low income homeowners get there house fix up.

I'm a perfectionist like I said before and i was freaking out about my house not being clean enough. It's still looks like crap in my opinion, but I'm not going to worry about it. I do have 4 cats and they can be quite messy. I'll write more latter tonight.

Barb
Old 07-26-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi Scaredy, I think at 5 days all you need to be thinking of is getting to meetings. I wouldnt be worrying about the steps.

Oh and dont worry about your house not being 100% perfect either!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

don't sweat the small stuff Barb....

D
Old 07-26-2007, 02:55 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by scaredykat View Post
Hi Everyone, I won't be able to write much. Very busy day and stressful. But I'm all right and I haven't had a drink in 5 days.

We have a guy coming over in a little more then a hour to look at our windows. We're going to see if we qualify for a grant to get new windows. It's a program to help low income homeowners get there house fix up.

I'm a perfectionist like I said before and i was freaking out about my house not being clean enough. It's still looks like crap in my opinion, but I'm not going to worry about it. I do have 4 cats and they can be quite messy. I'll write more latter tonight.

Barb

I am on day 2 so,I"ll see you at day 8 and 5!!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I need a kitty to play with.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies.

Stone- Why do you think i should wait on doing step 1? That's the most important step. I'm not pushing myself on it. I haven't done any writing yet either on step 1. Just reading the introduction stuff in my workbook and the first few chapters in the big book. Also I am going to my meetings everyday.

Barb
Old 07-27-2007, 06:16 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
let it grow!

morning, barb!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:29 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Day 6

Hi everyone, Hi Parent.

Well it looks like we are going to get our new windows. Yeah.

We didn't get the grant but the loan deal we got was a good bargain with low interest. We needed new windows bad. We've had this house for 11 years and loss a lot of heat in the winter.

Tonight I'm going to a speaker meeting. This meeting is celebrating its 61st Anniversary. Wow. There going to be a lot of goodies tonight after too. I hope my sponsor is there tonight. I have a feeling she will with the party and all. Talk latter.

Barb
Old 07-27-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

Big Aussie Morning to you Barb...
have fun at the meeting !

D
Old 07-27-2007, 01:49 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I will Dee. I heard there's going to be a woman with a lot of years under her belt speaking tonight.

Barb
Old 07-27-2007, 03:25 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

good
great about the windows too...gets cold up your way I hear !

have fun !
D
Old 07-27-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone, Well I went to the meeting tonight. It was really good. My sponsor was there too. She gave me homework. We had a woman speak that has 39 years of sobriety. There was also two people after that got there medallions.

At the beginning of the meeting they talk a little about the history of the meeting and how it came about in out area. It was really interesting. I'm actually interested more in the history of AA in general this time. I wasn't at all in 1993 when i was almost 2 years. Maybe its because I'm older now. Or maybe its because I'm ready to get and stay sober this time. I hope so. It's definitely the easier, softer, way.

Barb