Notices

question about depression/boredom in sobriety

Old 07-10-2007, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question about depression/boredom in sobriety

I only recently stopped drinking (2 days) and it seems like life has lost it's color. I feel sad that I can't drink anymore. I know I can but I hate that life, too. I just feel stuck between two worlds.

Will this self pity lessen with time/ Will things quit looking so bleak ? I don't see the point of a sober life if it's going to be as miserable as a drunk one.

I know I am so new to this that I need to wait it out and I'm sure this depression will lift (already on Prozac and Lamictal).

I just want to hear if you went thru an initial sadness and "blah" period and went it got better if you did.

I hope all this is normal because I feel this may be my last chance at doing this. I feel I don't have any day one's left in me. It's so discouraging to try again and again and fail miserably each time.

Thank you ((All)) for being here.
Love, Lauren
Old 07-10-2007, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lauren,

Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking!

Many people find that their depression lifts when they stop drinking. Alcohol is a depressant and so people often find their mood improves. However, if the depression was there before the drinking, then you might want to talk to your dr.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've always got another day one Lauren, if you really need it.
I tried for 15 years.

good luck to you
D
Old 07-10-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

I agree, i am basically a former depressed person, with destructive behavior....i found that it is only reality, that's why it is so hard...there isn't a substance to hide reality...life is tough and problems don't go away, so when the reality hits, everything is overwhelming...you should know that a lot of people feel the same way..but after a while, things fall into place....it will..just stay strong...and know it's reality coming back, it's quite a shock....but i believe in healing..take care..

i know it's hurting, but i know it's supposed to, so i make my peace with it...and learn...

nice to have you here!
Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One thing I just realized is it's only 9:00 and I'm already cleaning and doing laundry! Usually still trying to recover with burning eyeballs and a general tired feeling. So this is good.

Thanks again
Old 07-10-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Lauren,

Welcome to SR - I hope you keep posting and let us get to know you. Boredom can be a huge trigger for me - some days are easier than others to get motivated.
I'm on meds for depression, too. Like Anna said, for some the depression lifts when the alcohol is removed, but if it's a pre-existing condition, you should talk to your doc if it persists or gets worse.
Do you have a plan to stay stopped? Do you go to meetings, or are you following any sort of recovery method?
PM me anytime if you need to talk about anything.

Rowan
Old 07-10-2007, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Give yourself a break..2 days
you're still detoxing and still suffering from the side effects of alcohol.
your body and brain is probably going through withdraws and shock
Alcohol is a depressent...remember ?
So i suggest not trying to make too much out of anything at the moment.
Try not to think so much or react to your thinking and emotions at the moment.
just do onething..don't drink no matter what

Boredom or chaso ?
is it really boredom or is it really peace ?
There's nothing wrong with being bored..allow yourself to do so.
Embrace it..the sooner you do that..that sooner i'll come out of it.
and stop beating up on yourself.
You're trying to do something good with yourself..stopping the drinking.
that's something very, very posistive.

if it was easy..there would lines of people wanting to get sober.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey lauren - give yourself time. be patient with yourself. recovery is worth it! blessings, k
Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yup, time. Lots of it.

Boredom ?!?!?! I was too busy trying to save my a** (forget my face) to worry about being bored. You know, little things like finding a job, making rent for the month, fixing the broken car, making amends......If being bored is your biggest problem, consider yourself lucky.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Lauren, welcome to SR from another lauren, lol.

Alcohol can cause depression. You may have a few rough days ahead of you. In those early days I did a lot of running to AA meetings.............................not for any 'recovery program', lol just to be where I felt SAFE. There were folks there, just like me, and they weren't drinking. I found HOPE also. I started doing things with those people, going for coffee after the meetings, picnics, movies, bowling, playing cards, dances, etc long before I ever started working the 12 steps.

I guess in some ways I did it bass ackwards, rofl but hey it worked. I found out early into sobriety, that not EVERYBODY drinks and that FUN can be had sober, then at about 6 months when the fog seemed to have finally lifted and my brain was no longer feeling like 'mush' I was able to really start working on me.

But that whole time when my emotions were all over the place, and I would feel great and 10 minutes later be in the dumps, I had people I could call and talk to, I had meetings to run to,......................................it sure helped this alkie.

That was a long time ago now, and with the type of drunk I was, if I can stay sober, you can too!!!!

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing, we do care!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 07-10-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was really depressed when I quit drinkig... I was also very bored...

The thing that seamed to help me was believing (strongly) that it would go away. That I would be happy again.

As others stated give it some time... GL and congratuations!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

Take care...you too can be healthier
without alcohol.

Glad you are here...
Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Yeah. The first two weeks after I quit my emotions were all over the place! It's part of the withdrawal.

Be patient and kind to yourself. I've taken up a serious bath addiction. Whenever things seem a little too much, boring, stressful, etc I jump in the tub!

Congrats on your sober time!

Karen
Old 07-10-2007, 08:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile Welcome

Hi Lauren, glad to have you here with us. I agree with those who said just give it time. Congratulations on your 2 days of sobriety.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, and like many have said you are too early into this to take how you feel too serious. My attemp before this time at sobriety was a disater. I had quit for about a month and was so depressed the whole time. I did not know that depression was an existing condition and I was going to need help with it. This time around I quit with the aid of my dr. I'm taking my anti d meds it has been six weeks sense my last drink and I feel great. Reguardless of how bad you feel right now you have to realize by not drinking you are doing your body, mind, and spirit a big favor, and you will reap the benefits in time. Be strong and stick it out. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Lauren,

I just quit (again) myself. Today's my 16th day. I am mostly ok but still noticing (of course) issues related to alcohol. Everyone's different, but it really does take the body and the mind a great deal of time to re-adjust to not having alcohol and the affects on the mind that it causes. I felt mostly normal after a week, but I've got to say, those first few days are really difficult physically & mentally for most people. That's really great that you noticed right away that you are more productive, that is the same for me too, and I swear, EACH DAY I am even that much more so, and that is such a good feeling.

I have, in the past 2 weeks had a couple of "triggers" happen when I would have drank before, in fact, last night I had one of those come up. Thankfully I have been able to tell myself that the "voice", or notion that creeps in to my mind and tells me it would be ok to drink, is a LIAR. When it comes, I tell myself that I no longer believe it any more because I KNOW that it isn't true--if I drink, the problem that I am having at the time will DEFINITELY multiply in to more and bigger problems.

So when those times happen, I will try to acknowledge where the feeling is coming from---pinpoint exactly what's bothering me, and try something like taking a walk, read a book, do some work, or even just plain old cry.........and I am finding that the feeling passes. It may take a little while, or a long while, but it does pass, and then the GLADNESS that I didn't drink and make it worse-- is WAY stronger than the actual bad feeling to begin with.

I find that when I start feeling "off", I use "HALT", or ask myself if I am:
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

It is usually one of those things. Just pinpointing what it is sometimes begins to make me feel better, because I can then pick a solution other than running to drink.

I wish you the best of luck in staying sober. This is a great place to come for encouragement, support, help & love. Stick with us and keep posting, I swear, it really does get better!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Everything you have all posted is so true. I am detoxing and I bet that's alot of the problem. I will just continue to not drink and do positive things (swim with the kids, walk). I already feel better than this morning. Thank you for letting me know this is normal.

Love, Lauren
Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Namaste

Maybe one thing that could be good to do is start writing in a journal--record how you are feeling and why you quit drinking. That might fill some time and could also be something to look back on when you get the urge?