Notices

getting very close to quitting

Old 07-03-2007, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting very close to quitting

I'm an alcoholic. I drink 9 or ten strong beers a night for the last three years. Shots to go with them on some nightI haven't fallen asleep in the last three years without being loaded one way or the other. I was full blown for awhile and then came to my senses and stopped and became horribly sick for a week. I'm not fullblown now and was wondering what advice anyone has on withdrawal symptoms and how to detox safely without the use of a doctor as i have no health insurance
Old 07-03-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, kyjerome!

Try reading this sticky- I found it useful.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

I'm no doctor, and it could be dangerous to detox alone. Think about a doctor visit, or maybe a free clinic if you can't afford it. At the very least, let a friend know what you're doing so he can keep an eye on you.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.

BHJ
Old 07-03-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us and that you've decided to stop drinking. It is always a good idea to talk to a dr before detoxing from alcohol because it can be dangerous. The sticky that John posted is full of good information. Basically, take care of yourself and drink lots of juice and water and get as much rest as possible.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you run into problems....call 911 or
go to an ER.

What are problems that require assistance?

Look on Page 4 on the link John posted
for specifics.

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-03-2007, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found us. Welcome to SR. We care.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
believer

yes..this is a chain of love, of support..and even tough we're only words on a screen, every word has previous pain and then a peaceful way out....

take care
Old 07-03-2007, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Joi

I'm so glad you found us. Check yourself into a free detox clinic. It's first come first serve and you can find them in the yellow pages. 4 days of detox will give you the jumpstart you need and alleviate the withdrawal. Godspeed.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I drank last night. i drank around thirteen beers. i just get so scared about everything. I guess everyone here has gone through this. ifeel like i'm a coward
Old 07-04-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There IS help, and there IS hope - if you are ready to take certain steps.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Jerome, you drank-that is what alcoholics do-but we dont have to.

I was anti-AA for a long time but have attended some meetings and I think it could well be what I need. Just the actual physical company of people just like me helpes me.

There are other support groups such as SMART if you dont like the sound of AA-there are links to that at the top of the 'secular recovery' forum.

Other than that I would recommend reading a book called 'Under the influence', and just learning about addiction and alcoholism.

And of course post and read here, it is a great forum!
Old 07-04-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't know what to say. it feels like i'm losing my mind. This started about two weeks ago. The only time my head feels right now is when i'm drinking. it's just like my mind can't focus. i get very anxious about everything, i keep telling myself nothing is wrong with me but this wierdness in my head doesn't go away unlees i drink.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember feeling like that too. I think you will find that when you stop drinking, your head will begin to clear.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mark B. - Teetotaler |R|

Originally Posted by kyjerome View Post
I'm an alcoholic. I drink 9 or ten strong beers a night for the last three years. Shots to go with them on some nightI haven't fallen asleep in the last three years without being loaded one way or the other. I was full blown for awhile and then came to my senses and stopped and became horribly sick for a week.
Hello kyjerome. My name is Mark and I'm an Alcoholic.

Back when I used to drink I would drinking until I passed out and fall asleep. After fifteen years of that and some major Jackpots I wound up right at the crossroads of Recovery. So what I offer are some things which helped in my early Recovery.

Hangovers are not unusual. But when you haven't drank for awhile you may feel sick and tired. You may even feel like you have the flu. That's normal and that pain is best chalked up as a small price to pay in order to enter a Sober lifestyle. Only you know if alcohol is good for you or not. Only you can choose to drink it or not.

Alcohol is rough on your stomach so you may feel some tummy aches. An antacid helps but you may want to see a doctor if that condition persists after a couple of weeks. And drink plenty of nonalcoholic and non-caffeinated fluids. Caffeine will put you on edge and combines badly with the desire to drink.

Eat some nutritious food. Bar food just doesn't cut it. Eat some fresh veggies, some lightly prepared meat and poultry. Ease off the fat and sugar. Your body probably has taken quite a beating from what you put into it throughout your drinking career. It's time to rebuild it. Exercise helps, too (I prefer walking).

You may feel lonely. So start off by posting here for some good advice and support. Chances are we may have gone through similar things.

And, above everything else, just don't drink. Just For Today. Easy does it.

Welcome to SR!

Yours in Recovery, Mark B.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR kyjerome!! I'm really glad you found us. This is a great place to be when you cant get to a meeting. I dont think I could quit drinking without it. All the people here understand exactly what you are saying.
Dont feel like a coward! This is a disease.

I highly recommend AA. You might be nervous the first time, but then you'll slap your forehead and say "what the heck was I nervous about". We are all in the same boat!

I hope you keep posting and tell us about yourself
Old 07-04-2007, 02:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

PS. It's 4th of July time so it's slow on the board right now. Just keep posting!
Old 07-04-2007, 06:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAFreeportPA View Post
You may even feel like you have the flu.

I have had that quite a few times, good post btw Mark.