Notices

Family and the Alcoholic

Old 07-03-2007, 03:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome JUST BE and Thank you GYPSY TEARS. I know each day I will get stronger. I think I'm at a point where I am sooooo ANGRY with myself for letting this disease take over. And let me tell you, it just hits you out of left field before you realize that you have a problem. I will probably attend some AA meetings before my appointment on July 11.

Take Care,
Theresa
Old 07-03-2007, 03:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Theresa,

I know what you mean about how fast it hits us. In the BB it says that females often have that happen. My ending came very fast - maybe 3 years too heavy, 3 more years super heavy and only about 3 months of sheer living hell. It's the final instant that is the fastest. The jumping off point when you can't live with it and can't live without it... well that only took one morning.

I got rejected too and it hurts. I felt all abandoned. Alcoholism is very isolating.

It might be a good idea to stop drinking now. AA works for me. We are here for you.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Angry

I feel for you as I am having trouble quitting also, l had quit for 4 days a couple of weeks ago and then blew it, plus I have a problem w/husband thinking it is ok for me to drink sometimes or if I can drink in moderation, but I have tried that and it does not work for me. I also had quit drinking for about 35 days almost a year ago with the help of campral, but it made it easier with the medicine. I agree that there is something about 40 yrs old, I began realizing I needed to quit around that age, I am now 42 and will be 43 in October. I am worried about my health and my 13 yr. old doesnt like me drinking, but my husband who can have one or 2 drinks and stop, thinks if wants to drink, I should drink w/him or if I say I dont wanna drink that he will tell me just dont drink it then and I told him if the alcohol is there I am going to drink it-he doesnt understand how far my disease has progressed. so I will be trying to start over either today or tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

((((bymyself)))),

I am in my 11th day this time around. I had a year before and decided to go out and try drinking again, to say it did not work is the understatement of the year.........anyway I'm going to be 37, and I have a daughter. When I got sober that year, at first I couldn't (in my mind) do it for myself at first, so I did it for my daughter, and it worked. This time around I'm finding it easier to do it for me.

My Mom didn't make it to 41. She drank herself to death in a half-way house when she was 40. Although my Mom did unspeakable things to me, threatened my life, called me every name in the book, endangered me countless times, neglected me, forgot about me, I still loved her and wanted her. I would have forgiven her everything in a heart-beat if she would have tried. I've decided to make that difference for my daughter (and myself).

Please do it for her. Forgiveness may seem impossible now, but you'll be amazed at what some real effort and time will bring. She needs you to make it past 40.

I'm right here with you, and I know you can do it!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Want2BGreat View Post
I've decided to make that difference for my daughter (and myself).
I love hearing that! You won't regret it, you've already paid the price, you'll come to be the parent you always dreamed of being.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi bymyself you post touched me I can remember being so drunk and my husband beside himself with rage!! as wantobegreat says we are here for you .
I am a 40 year old woman who drank heavily for 10 years I jsutified it by saying it was my way to cope with the world etc and yes I stopped mainly for my children I have three a 13 year old daughter a 11 year old son and a 19 month old daughter which was affecting them badly. Well after nearly three months I can honestly say I like this new me :0) yes I still have bad days but Im learning to cope. we are all pulling for you ( I think thats the right saying :0) ) all the best
Ang
Old 07-04-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

NeedToBeSober, My husband sounds the same as yours. They don't understand the disease. I have tried to just drink with my husband but it only led to more drinking on my own and what a lonely feeling. I have heard so many times"JUST DON"T DRINK". Easy for a non-alcoholic. We must face our disease and realize that we can not drink because we are alcoholics. Just be yourself without alcohol and you will be amazed at how good you feel. Hang in there.