Notices

Need help and support for July 1 long weekend

Old 06-24-2007, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help and support for July 1 long weekend

Hello everyone, I am not too new here I have posted before. But I am still struggling to quit drinking. Our Canadian long weekend July 1 is coming up and we are supposed to be having a party at our cottage. Most of these people are heavy drinkers. I want to quit drinking so bad, but this weekend is going to be a real struggle. I have been doing fairly well on not drinking, sober for 2 days. How can I cope with all these people all weekend? Any advice would be much apreciated. Destinee
Old 06-24-2007, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome from a fellow Canadian! Happy Canada Day coming up!

I think the bottom line is that staying sober requires really hard choices. If it was me, at 2 days sober, I would definitely not go. I tried a party early in sobriety and I was miserable.

If you do go, plan to keep busy boating or cooking or anything to take your mind off drinking.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm..
The simple answer is
don't invite drinkers

Good to see you are working towards
a healtheir sober life...

Blessings
Old 06-24-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Destinee,

Welcome to SR from a fellow Canuck in Ontario - boy can I relate to cottage country dilemmas - last time I relapsed was at the cottage. I don't go as often now, and if a lot of booze starts appearing, I disappear.
If I know my folks are having a lot of people up who drink, I just don't go.
If you are new to sobriety and struggling, I would 'sit out' the long weekend and do something else that you enjoy.
I'm glad that you decided to join us and hope to see more posts.

Rowan
Old 06-24-2007, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I agree also, way to new to sobriety to put yourself in that position. There will be other occasions to celebrate, when you are much stronger, you have a great start to recovery, do you really want to risk it??? For me, the answer would be no. My sobriety date is in April, for that first summer, I stuck with AA/NA functions, dances, picnics, parties etc. Even at that, I was very nervous about putting myself in any social situation, what I found out is that I can have fun...I mean FUN sober!!!

Good Luck, Cathy
Old 06-24-2007, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lurker

I know when I was 2 days it was big for me to make it past the beer store. Going to a party would have been out of the question. I know we are have a cook out on the 4th, and I invited my sponcer just to make sure there would be here for me.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, destinee! blessings, k
Old 06-25-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

cancel it. I am on day 28 here and would not put my sobriety in that situation. A few weeks back I broke my foot and had a few sympathy situations and just avoided them by isolating myself.

Here on my fifth week I am much stronger, have been out to lunch and dinner a few times and have been able to cope quite well. Give yourself some time and get some perspective and confidence.

Good Luck.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Can't echo it strongly enough...DO NOT GO...just for this year! There will hopefully be many, many more July 1 parties which you'll be able to attend and enjoy sober!

For thirty two years, my summer drinking was at the New Jersey Shore. Once I quit drinking, I didn't trust myself at The Shore for two whole years. The first time I went back was with my daughter who had lived through the worst part of my drinking with me, so I felf perfectly safe with her there and we had a great time!

Happy July 1st...make AA meetings...they never close for Holidays!