Notices

Depression After Sports Injury

Old 06-23-2007, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression After Sports Injury

Internet Friends:

I am a 20 year old college student who is a rising junior. I am a dedicated engineering student and also an avid athlete. I love playing water polo, but this year I had over trained and caused a common injury. This will require me more than three months to heal, and of those three months, I've gotten through a month and a half. I am extremely depressed by seeing my gains in athleticism dissapate.

I had surgery to correct this injury, and was placed on oxycodone. I have stopped using the oxycodone and have let my shoulder rest. Every once in a while I pop back into the gym to start exercising, only to have my shoulder start hurting again. Now, being six months from surgery, I still occasionally pop an oxycodone or two.

I feel that I am becoming addicted to the oxycodone. It seems that once I take it, I feel happy about myself, and I forget all my past pain (even girl pains).

I feel that I am becoming dependant on this drug. So dependant on it that I will take the pill from my father's drug cabinet even after I have finished my doctor's prescription. I do not crush the drug or anything, I just take the full pill. I realize that oxycodone is lethal if crushed, and I realize it's power

What am I getting myself into?
Old 06-23-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Welcome! It's good that you are recognizing your increasing dependence on the oxycodone. From my understanding, they are very addictive. Is your dr prescribing the oxycodone at this time, because of the pain you are still feeling from the surgery? It might be a good idea to talk to your dr about your concerns and to wean yourself off the meds.

I understand how the injury has caused an upset in your life. If you are patient and take care of yourself, it is likely that your injury will heal. One thing I would say is that I believe everything happens for a reason and nothing is an accident.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Glad you are here. I too know oxycodone is quite addictive. Pretty much the same as oxycontin if I am not mistaken.
Very good on catching this so early and recognising you may be becoming dependant.
That is a really good thing.
May be talk with your Dr about it.
But in the mean time. There is lots of support and info here.
Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
315.gif (47.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-23-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

just want to welcome you..as you can see there is a lot of info and great inspiring people over here at SR..

i am 22, i am too an engineering student...stay strong..i know! how hard it is...believe me

keep posting...take care
Old 06-23-2007, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

How about asking your Dad
to hide his script from you?

Blessings
Old 06-24-2007, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Rman,

Pain meds are nothing to fool with, I know......Several yrs ago I had my neck re-constructed (from yrs of abuse on the field) . I was introduced to Oxy's and Demoral, and having an addictive personality( didn't know this at that time) I quickly took more than precribed.... you know, if one makes me feel good TWO have to make me feel real good!!!!! I think I became almost instantly addicted.......Soon my Drs stopped writing me scripts for them. So like a good addict( yes I was an addict at this time) I substituted ALCOHOL for the meds.......Yes my old friend would help me out....... I've always had alcohol in my life....but it was different this time.
I needed more and more of it, til my life was spiraling out of control....I finally reached out for help and GOT IT......I battle my addictions every day now and so far I'm staying one step ahead of the bad guys.........I wish I HAD RECOGNIZED my problem early like you have done, thing would have been different......Talk to your doctor about your feelings, maybe he can get you on a diferent pain management routine (no meds) Hope you have a succcessful recovery........Ned