Notices

Unsure and Scared

Old 06-17-2007, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unsure and Scared

I have never tried to break this addiction of alcohol. I have been to afraid. I am scared to go to my doctor as he may find out and it may affect my job. I am sick of hiding it and sick of it all. I just don't know where to turn.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile Welcome

Hi Laszlo, glad to have you here with us. Have you tried AA? They have helped me tremendously.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Laszlo. I'm glad you joined us here.There is tons of information on these boards so stay and read for a while.We have all felt the fear you're experiencing right now and it's a normal part of making the decision to quit.It's great that you want to do something about it.Keep posting here and there will be lots of support available to you.If seeing your own doctor worries you-perhaps you could find a different one?The most important part being that you are honest with them so you can get the proper help you need in going through withdrawal.It takes courage to make this step and I'm glad you did and posted here.

Anyway-I really just wanted to say hi and know you're not alone.Welcome!

Rose.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have never tried anything but self governance which sucks as we all know. I have researched the h&*% out of this disease and know that my birth Father had it and kicked it. I am worried and yet sit here saying stop with the excuses. I have a high level job that I cannot get away from for 6-8 weeks of help.. and a close family member happens to work for the only addiction facility in the area. This sucks.. I guess I am too weak.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Yeah, you are too weak.

I've been trying to kick it too, and my job is in jeopardy because of it. What does that mean? It means I'm too weak too. Cool - a starting point for each of us.

Maybe we can fuel each other to get to meetings and share experiences? I sure need a kick in the arse...

Never alone.
PR
Old 06-17-2007, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello and Welcome to SR!

Please do see a medical professional
and be honest as to how much and how
often you drink.

You may not need a treatment center at all.
A doctor can do a supervised de tox.

Then you can be both safe and sober.

If you live in the US there are laws to
protect your job and doctors must be
confidential unless you are nder 21.

It's good to see a new member
please keep posting with us.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you PurpleReign. I know I am too weak and thank you for your thoughts. I am researching where to go right now.. and am thinking of dropping by my church where I was married tomorrow. I know we all hate what we are going through... I am scared s&%$less about the withdrawl... I have done the quiz and am thinking I will be at the moderate to heavy end. I have a family and cannot hide this although hey the master of deception (I am sure everyone knows so yes sarcasm). I want to so I will Purp.. I have to do this.. I have to. Damn I feel alone but thank you for the reply.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I believe there is a dr patient confidentiality agreement.
There are lots of ways to get help. In patient is not an option for you..try outpatient. Go to meetings somewhere you know you may not run into anyone. And you may need a dr's care for detox.
Addiciton is a downslide. So sooner or later someone is gonna notice if you dont try and do something.
but that is just my opinion.
I wish you well.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Lazlo. This is a good place.

I don't know you and I don't know about your life - but I do know myself that I built a lot of obstacles between me and getting free of the problem, and I made years and years of excuses - some were genuine, most weren't - all were able to be overcome -

I had to 'give' on a few things though, and get my priorities right and decide just how much I wanted to be not that drunk guy anymore....OK I'm still a newbie, but I know now it can be done.

D
Old 06-18-2007, 04:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lurker

Hey Lazlo, What you tell a doctor should stay right there. Any way you should really see one. I went through it alone, but from what I have learned it was very dangerous for the amounts that I had been drinking. Any way AA is a great place to begin. Everyone there knows what you are going through. Sobriety is posible I promiss. If I can do it anyone can. It is a very good thing too. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Laszlo,

I too was weak. Still am in some ways, but the good news is, you've taken one of many first steps. To admit yourself about quitting the drink. For reasons you finally feel very strongly about, you will get thru this. Just keep coming back to this forum. Read the stories and get the encouragement.

I felt like u did only 4 days ago, still buzzing from the last drink. Reach out, it gets better.

Introvrtd1
Old 06-18-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, laszlo. it's ok to ask for help. blessings, k