Notices

Clonazepan (Klonopin)

Old 06-17-2007, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Clonazepan (Klonopin)

This drug seems to be somewhat a regular treatment for alcohol withdrawl. When I was prescribed this drug it was given to me as a muscle relaxer because I was getting muscle spasms all over my body by a neurologist. I had informed him that I had just quit drinking but I remember he prescirbed it as a muscle ralaxent. When I informed this to my primary doctor, he said it was good for alcohol withdrawl too.

I took it for a little over 2 months as prescribed by the doctor. I have been having some sleeping problems a little over 10 days after quiting the drug. From your reponces, it appears many of you have used the drug for some sort of withdrawl and have experienced problems after leaving the drug. My questions for all of you are these:

1). Have you used Clonazepan for alcohol withdrawl or for other reasons?

2). How long have/did you use it and the amount? (mine was 1/2 pill of .5 mg for 2 months)

3). Did you experience any kind of withdrawl and for how long?

Thank you I would like to see some responses?
Old 06-17-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest you Google for info.

No...I have never used this drug....
nor any other for withdrawal.

My de tox only lasted 3 days.
Have you read this link?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

Take care
Old 06-17-2007, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

doctors regularly use valium for alcohol detox but not for 2 months. i severely abused kolonopin but its tough for me to judge about withdrawls because i was simotaneously kicking heroin, oxys, and alcohol....yikes. needless to say that makes for a nasty detox when you do it coldturkey lol.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are probably going through Benzodiazepine withdrawal. You need to be tapered off of benzos. The withdrawal can be extremely unpleaseant. I am going through it right now.

I would speak to your dr about being tapered.

Best of luck to you;

Liz
Old 06-19-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've researched the side effects of clonazepan on the internet. My interest is personal accounts from people on this forum. My doctor recommened this drug as a muscle relaxant because I was having muscle spasms all over my body early in my sobriety. I took (initially on and off) 1/2 pill of .5 mg for a little over two months. I tapperred down to 1/4 pill for the last 8-10 days or so before stop taking the drug. This happened about 2 weeks ago. My sleep quality quickly deteriorated and I've had a couple of nights were I slept maybe 2-3 hours (5-6 a.m.).

I'm on my 67 day sober and I thought my rough sleeping nights were behind me. I haven't had those overwhelming anxiety attacks that I used to have in my early sobriety, but lately I've been just having trouble sleeping. Could this be withdrawl from this drug even if I took such a small quantity for only 2 months?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My doctor recommened this drug as a muscle relaxant because I was having muscle spasms all over my body early in my sobriety.
Recommended or prescribed ? That's odd, Valium is for anxiety and high blood pressure. It's not a muscle relaxant.

Anyway, insomnia lasts a while when recovering from alcohol. I have 8 months, and still have problems getting to sleep. A lot of that is coffee at meetings though.

But I DO recall 90-120 days in, just not being able to sleep. Itchiness, restlesness, etc. It fades over time.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah that's what I thought, GP, is that it isn't a muscle relaxant, although is used to combat anxiety.
I don't remember my dosage, but it was .5 or something - little orange pill. No matter - I took a few at a time - had been prescribed them for anxiety, and because I didn't want to go back on anti d's - at the time thought I was picking the lesser of two evils. Became addicted in short order.
Withdrawal - pretty much cold turkey after a 4-5 day weaning off period. Horrible! Don't expect to sleep for a while - Lizrox is right - it's called benzodiazepene withdrawal and it's painful as he**.
It doesn't last forever - just feels that way. Hang in there.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No matter - I took a few at a time -
I used to chase them with Vodka !

Allso, they're the best damm thing in the morning when you're a mid stage. Takes those "jitters" right away.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

He prescribed it as a muscle relaxer and I believe I read somewhere that is used to control seisures too. Anyway I found out quickly that it worked wonders on my anxiety. I mentioned this to my primary doctor and he said I could use it for alcohol withdrawl too. I just got worried hearing people talk about how addictive it is and the withdrawls that come with it. I just wanted more information on it from personal experieces.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
IO Storm

My first rehab..I had only been drinking for a little under two

years...but when the docs saw my medical history?

Bang! I had been taking prescribed Valium for 10 years then

switched to Xanax for another 10...

Doctors said the alcohol WD's would abate by the time I

left..(two weeks inpatient)..

However the long term chronic benzo use would have to be

slowly withdrawn by substituting Klonipin.

I took 4 tabs daily 1st month..3 the second..2 the third

and 1 the 4th. It really worked.

But I had not truly grasped my true condition as an alkie..

smoked weed as a gateway and horribly relapsed with alcohol.

Without a recovery program I was unable to live life on life's

terms...

I see nothing wrong in the use of medical support in early

recovery..as long as the recovery (program) is followed.

Love,

IO
Old 06-19-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you have been off them for 10 days and all you are experiencing is insomnia you are out of the woods with them. I think it is the alcohol w/d causing most of the insomnia. If you get excercise, that helps sleep...just don't excercise soon before bedtime. Also try chamomille tea or Sleepytime extra with valerian and chamomille....both are very relaxing. There is also melatonin and naturally ocurring substance in the body that can be bought over the counter....but take it well before bedtime to avoid morning grogginess.

If you were dependent on the benzo you would have been way wiggy and desperate for help before 10 days.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stay away from the benzos. i am no Dr., but was addicted to them for over 10 years and it started because i used then to get off the booze.

NO zanax, valium, klonopin, ativan, I am sure i am leaving some out just cant think right now.

Prescribed or not I do not advize them at all.

PM if you want
Old 06-19-2007, 08:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
IO Storm

bfree..

In all due respect...my detox from the benzo's with Klonipin did

work. When the last pill was taken at the end of the 4 month

mark..I never took another one and have not to this day...

The dotors in treatment were emphatic that a rapid

detox from the benzo's would mostly likely result in violent

seizures resulting in death.

Following a doctor's explicit instructions is the safest way.

Love,

IO
Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
IO Storm

P.S.

My psychiatrist now prescribes Vistaril for sleep problems..

Just a high powered antihistamine...

And always be rigorously with ANY doctor you consult about

your past drinking or using history.

Love,

IO
Old 06-20-2007, 12:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

1. The Benzos are the most commonly used drug for alcohol withdrawal
2. I have been taking benzos such as Klonopin, ativan and Xanax for almost 17 years
3. I was taken off of Valium cold turkey when I was in drug rehab. What they did could have killed me. I am now back on Klonopin 10mg a day for detox. I was suffering from horrible benzo withdrawal when I got home from the hospital. It takes months to successfully taper off of benzos.

Best of Luck to you

Liz