Notices

Normal after only first day sober?

Old 06-17-2007, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Question Normal after only first day sober?

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if it was normal to experience the following symptoms only a day after not drinking (yesterday was the last time I drank)...

* Really bad anxiety
* Eyes feel "buggy"
* Feeling jittery/trembly
* "Lump-in-throat" feeling (Globus Hysterectus)
* That hard-to-describe "addicted" feeling
* Spacey feeling

I can't ever remember feeling this way in the past after only one day sober. These feelings would usually only hit me after the 3'rd or 4'th day along with sweats, etc.

Is this unusual?.

- Thanks, N4C
Old 06-17-2007, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Those are usual and mild symptoms of withdraw. There's a a sticky in the Alcoholics forum titled "What to expect", go check it out.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is more info....

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

My guess?
You progressed in your comsumption since your last quit.
De tox gets more difficult the more and longer you drink.

This can be your final quit
you need never go thru this again!

Take care
Old 06-17-2007, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Good advice you received there...

My guess too is the disease wants you back quicker than it did

before..that is what happened to me..the morning drinks began..

then the chronic 24 hour drinking.

Love,

IO
Old 06-17-2007, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Ahhhh...the disease of progression. I've heard that, when you pick up again, it's just like you've never stopped...that the progression continues even without the ingestion of the alcohol. I think you've proven the point.

I can't ever remember feeling this way in the past after only one day sober. These feelings would usually only hit me after the 3'rd or 4'th day along with sweats, etc.
Sounds a lot like you've been "doing the same thing (over and over) and expecting different results". Thanks for reminding me it just isn't worth giving up sobriety to go through the misery of withdrawal.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Need4,

As the other have indicated, if you keep trying this experiment you WILL progress to the next step....Withdrawl symptoms after only 1-2 hrs ....then the 24-7 drink-a-thon begins.......and we all know where it ends.......I myself have been on this ride like many others have......turn in your ride tickets now ...I don;t want to see anyone go through that battle...

Work Hard and Enjoy Life.....Ned
Old 06-17-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

each detox was a little different for me N4C....as others have said it depended on what I was drinking, how I was drinking and for how long for, whether I was eating, how I was feeling generally in body and mind etc etc

if it feels 'wrong', get thee to an infirmary
D
Old 06-17-2007, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Don't discount the psychological element. Going a day or two when there's no intention of stopping "for good" is a much different experience than knowing it's the first day sober...with intentions of continuing on with sobriety.

Try to stay in the moment, as hard as it might seem. That may lesson the anxiety and all the attendant symptoms.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-17-2007, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Good point Sugah...

Thanks for reminding me...

We all had Day 1...

Some of us quite a few....

Love,

IO
Old 06-17-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Very good insight and advice I'm seeing here. One thing I have been noticing is that I have been having a desire to drink earlier than usual during the day and I'm starting to find it more difficult to just drink "every other day". Also, the hangovers are not keeping me "in check" like they once did.

Someone mentioned here that I might be not really trying to quit and they are right. I have to admit that I really DO enjoy drinking...I just HATE that I am addicted to the stuff and really would like to quit FOREVER and today I have not touched a drop and hopefully I won't tomorrow either.

- N4C
Old 06-18-2007, 04:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lurker

No bugs crawling all over you. I was good for that one, All these things will disapear. If you do not pick up.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Funny, I drank every other day and sometimes daily 10-14 beers a nite for about a week and never had a hangover the next morning. It wasnt until that 8th or 9th day of drinking that the 10th day brought a hellatious withdrawal. I associated the 'typical' hangover with a bad headache. I know im not 100% correct in defining the difference between hangovers and withdrawals, but what I felt were mostly withdrawals.

* Dizziness
* Anxiety
* Panic
* Fatigue
* Bloating
* High blood pressure
* Elevated heart rate (>100bpm)
* Palpitations
* Restlessness
* Sleeplessness
* Bewilderment

I could go on, but I felt like crap for the whole work day. If I was lucky, it subsided just around quitting time 8 or 9 hrs later. I would take an evening off. Guess what happened the next day after work, I was back at the 10-14 beers a nite.

Vicious cycle for the past few years.

So far, dont plan to do that anymore. Almost forgot what long term sobriety felt like.

Its good.....

Hang in there.

Introvrtd1
Old 06-18-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I have to admit that I really DO enjoy drinking...I just HATE that I am addicted to the stuff and really would like to quit FOREVER and today I have not touched a drop and hopefully I won't tomorrow either.
"He who forgets to remember is doomed to repeat." Anytime I start playing those "what if, if only" head games with myself, I have to think the drink through and remember where that just one drink would lead me...even after over 27 years of continued sobriety. I'm an alcoholic who used to enjoy drinking...now I enjoy sobriety.