Notices

S-t-r-u-g-g-l-i-n

Old 06-14-2007, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: Fedup With This Vicious Cycle and Am Doing Something About It
S-t-r-u-g-g-l-i-n

Today is a bad bad day and a drink is sounding way too good right now. Why oh why does this have to be so d*mn hard? I was doing sooooo good and wasn't even having an urge to drink until the girls woke up from their naps. All went to pot and I am at my witts end with the world. My husband gets to go out and play in golf league(every thursday), play in golf tournaments(seem to be more and more frequent), have all sorts of fun, drink and here I sit, home with the girls everday all day and no out. I keep thinking "just one night with a few beers won't hurt just to take the edge off" but I don't want to be sucked into the dark hole I once was in. Is this horrible feeling just going to pass or just keep getting worse? I have been sober for 10 days but am so tempted to grab a drink. Irritability has sent in and I HATE IT! My poor kiddos. My husband is all crabby at me for even thinking about it but he isn't being much help since he is golfing tonight and will come home piled.
Any advice?
Thanks
Old 06-14-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

here I sit, home with the girls everday all day and no out.
Just remember, drinking will lead to no home, no girls, no husband......

It gets better, really. 10 days is admirable, but you're still in very early sobriety. I was still de-toxing at 10 days.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, you're doing a great job. It's not easy to get ten days under your belt. It does get easier. Yes, the feelings will pass. Once, they do, you'll be grateful you didn't reach for a drink. I'll say a prayer for you. You can make it thorough this. Stay stong. Try to connect with other mothers in recovery. It's always easier when you can talk to someone in a similar situation. Best of luck. Stay strong!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi AJD . I'm a mother of 4 in recovery too! Try to keep busy with the girls... enjoy them and the time you have with them. They are only young for such a short amount of time... do you really want to keep being drunk for it? Hopefully the feelings to drink will pass sooner rather than later for you but until then don't give in. It will get easier . If you have a hobby now is a good time to devote some energy towards it. If you don't have any hobbies... get one .
Old 06-14-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

you are strong, you can do it

let your husband know, you may not always need his help ease through the night...but when you do ask...for him to please help. My husband and I have tried to go on a date with eachother at least once a week or two weeks, just to get away from the kids and to enjoy time with eachother without alcohol. there is life before and after alcohol..and life can be very fun. we even take in open speaker meetings together to hear of others struggles and there time of recovery. this can be very spiritual and moving to both you and your husband. I give you strength and am proud of you for your 10 days. You are a strong woman who can do this.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't drink. It is never as good as the idea leads you to believe it is. You will just beat yourself up and be overwhelmed with guilt. If you don't give in to this, then you'll be much stronger for the next thing you face.

The feeling will pass if you allow it to. It will pass much faster if you find something to focus on other than the thought of wanting to drink.

Hold on to your 10 sober days with everything you've got. You can do this!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Good replies you have there sweetie...

Follow simple suggestions and you WILL make it!

Love,

IO
Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing great. It's probably hard for your husband to understand how difficult this is for you. At the same time, you need to do this for yourself and to believe that you can do it. Maybe if you talk to your husband about sharing childcare duties in the evenings you could have a night off to do something you enjoy.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say hang in there - I know it's difficult, but you can get through this.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: Fedup With This Vicious Cycle and Am Doing Something About It
Good Evening!
First of all, thank you so much for all your kind words and support. After I typed up this thread I felt like an idiot because I would come in and offer support for people in my situation but then didn't think I was strong enough to make it through myself BUT I DID make it without a drop of alcohol and am very proud of myself for it. SR ROCKS and I don't think I would be sitting here typing this thread if I wouldn't have found this forum. Now I am going on 11 days sober (tomorrow) and feel very confident I will sail through the weekend sober.. Whooohooooo! I am taking it one day at a time though. What frustrates me is when I got home with the girls(went and hung out with grandpa and grandma) my husband was just getting home from golf. He is far from sober and when he gets this way, he is a complete jerk to me. Hard to deal with for me for some reason. Ugh!
Anyways, thanks again to all of you!!! ((((((HUGS)))))