Notices

Today is the day...

Old 06-15-2007, 06:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surlyredhead View Post
Hi Nan, welcome!! I am glad you are here...it doesn't matter to me, who you believe in, who you choose to love, what you look like, if you are shy or outgoing...all that matters is you want to stop drinking and you asked for help...so here we are...help!! I hope you will read and post often, recovery is a very personal thing, I know that sounds weird..because we all need each other to stay sober, but how we think and feel is strangely familiar and unique at the same time!! You are not alone.

Cathy
Thank you, Cathy. Your last line really struck me...as much as I feel I cannot relate to many of the stories, so many things are familiar. I do feel like we all know what it is like to struggle with addiction here, even if our stories are different.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by nan07 View Post
Yesterday I visited the Smart Recovery site, but I confess that it all seemed too "busy" for me and I found the many acronyms very confusing. I coudn't focus. I did kind of pick up that there is a tool box in which you plan for what you will do if you begin to crave a drink. I am going to journal everything that's going on for future reference. Also, at some point when I really start to question how sick I really am and begin to flirt with the idea of moderation...I imagine that on some evenings I will be staying sober not for myself, but for my partner and my mom. To be a better person for them.

But for right now...I have one day behind me!

Hi Nan, first of all, congrats on your first day!!

I find the ideas presented by SMART helpful, but do agree that their web design is a bit difficult. You might want to consider order the SMART handbook. For me personally I just do better with something printed than reading on the computer.

I'd also recomend checking out the Lifering site http://www.unhooked.com/index.htm I found the "Recovery by Chioce" workbook to be helpful. I think both books sell for about $10.

I found the Lifering site a bit easier to navigate. They also have a great chat room, that always has folks there in the evening. The conversation ranges from just what is going on in each others lives to serious recovery issues. It's a very friendly group. I too struggle with the evenings. I've used this as a distraction in the evenings when I wanted to drink or get high. Lately I've just been going to bed about 8pm and getting up about 6am. Not sure what your gf will think of that schedule, but you might think about it.

Hope day two goes well. I need to take on your exercise regiment, that is one of the best things you can do when quitting. I uses that excess energy, makes you healthier, makes you tired so you can sleep, there really is no down side to that, so keep it up. Take care.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nan,

It sounds like you're getting some good perspective and being able to understand how addiction has affected your life, even though others may not see it. I hid my drinking, as much as possible, so most people had no idea of the extent of my drinking, but I was so very miserable and lost.

I hope you have a good day!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
Hi Nan, first of all, congrats on your first day!!

I find the ideas presented by SMART helpful, but do agree that their web design is a bit difficult. You might want to consider order the SMART handbook. For me personally I just do better with something printed than reading on the computer.

I'd also recomend checking out the Lifering site http://www.unhooked.com/index.htm I found the "Recovery by Chioce" workbook to be helpful. I think both books sell for about $10.

I found the Lifering site a bit easier to navigate. They also have a great chat room, that always has folks there in the evening. The conversation ranges from just what is going on in each others lives to serious recovery issues. It's a very friendly group. I too struggle with the evenings. I've used this as a distraction in the evenings when I wanted to drink or get high. Lately I've just been going to bed about 8pm and getting up about 6am. Not sure what your gf will think of that schedule, but you might think about it.

Hope day two goes well. I need to take on your exercise regiment, that is one of the best things you can do when quitting. I uses that excess energy, makes you healthier, makes you tired so you can sleep, there really is no down side to that, so keep it up. Take care.
Thanks for the tip, Tyler. I'll spring for the handbook and take a look at the lifering site.

It's funny, I was kind of eager to head upstairs before bed time. Somehow, the evening hours managed to pass and I just wanted to get to bed so the day could be finished. I bet that's a common behavior for the newly sober! As for the exercise, you're absolutely right. It sure can't hurt and can only help. I think it also helped that I had no alcohol in my system...I've heard that booze can cause sleep disturbances.
Anyway, I greatly appreciate the advice you've given...
Old 06-15-2007, 09:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Hi Nan,

It sounds like you're getting some good perspective and being able to understand how addiction has affected your life, even though others may not see it. I hid my drinking, as much as possible, so most people had no idea of the extent of my drinking, but I was so very miserable and lost.

I hope you have a good day!
That's it exactly. I always appeared in control but I hid my drinking..."miserable and lost" is exactly how I felt. Drinking wasn't really being fun any longer, it was just...grim. Here's to day two. I am very excited because my copy of "Drinking: A Love Story" is supposed to arrive today. I can't wait to get my hands on it!
Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh I hope you love -the book. Please tell me what you think about it!

And, the hiding the drinking made me feel like such a fraud. I started to feel like I was a completely phoney person when I was with other people. Clearly, the person they were seeing wasn't 'me'. That was one of the best things about sobriety - I am one person now.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

First off, welcome to SR! (this site will be your new addiction, believe me!!!!)

Not trying to be pushy on the AA thing, but they do have AA meeting just for women. And since it sounds like your partner is being very supportive of your quitting, maybe she can go with you to open meetings? Then, it wont feel so uncomfortable at first. But once you go to your favorite ones long enough, you will find that everyone there is after only 1 thing, sobriety. They have been in your shoes, and they want to help ya.

About the "GOD" stuff.......well there's not really too much god stuff at the meetings. You say the serenity prayer in the beginning, and the lords prayer at the end. BUT, when you are saying them, you could use the word "god" to mean anything for you. Your God could be the meeting itself, it could mean your own strength from within. Anything. (your higher power).

But anywho, I'll shut up about AA. I'm glad you found this site. it rocks!!
Best of luck on night #2..........stay strong, and keep it one day at a time.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i'm glad you're staying sober, nan. blessings, k
Old 06-17-2007, 02:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Nan

A few days late, but welcome!

I love "Drinking:A love story" very much. It's an awesome book.

How are you doing today?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by merlotmamma View Post
A few days late, but welcome!

I love "Drinking:A love story" very much. It's an awesome book.

How are you doing today?
Today is being a bit harder than yesterday, probably because I was so busy yesterday. I keep wanting a nice, cold beer...but I know that I wouldn't stop at ONE nice, cold beer. So, it's not like I'm pacing the floors and being cranky at my gf or anything but it's an interior discomfort that is bugging me a little. It's only day four and I knew that I wouldn't be immediately "cured" of cravings or whatnot. I just wish that some substantial sober time was behind me so I wouldn't be thinking about drinking right now. I'm making my way through my new book (Drinking: A Love Story) and it's fantastic...so, I've been filling the later evening hours with reading, plus tonight we're going watch "Shirley Valentine", one of my fave movies. I know that this is discomfort is unavoidable and it's certainly not the worst thing I've ever experienced, but I'm having an interior tantrum that I can't drink normally. I'm hanging in there!
Thanks for the welcome!