Notices

Maybe it was for the best!

Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Maybe it was for the best!

Hi all,

I hope you are all doing well today. I broke my foot about 10 days ago. I had 6 days sober when I broke it. I am on day 16 now. Sorry, I'm a day counter. Can't wait until there is a day that it won't really matter. Anyway, I think this broken foot thing might be a blessing disguise. Hobbling around on one good foot certainly keeps you away from the drink!

Yesterday, a friend of mine jokingly asked if I needed anything..."a bottle of whiskey perhaps?" She doesn't know I have decided never to drink again. I laughed and said yeah like a need a drunk while hobbling ticket. Don't think I wanna break anything else thank you. I know I'm using it right now but hey, why not make lemonade right?

After surgery on Friday I'll have 6 weeks in a cast. That on top of my 18 days by then ought to give me a good 2 months sober. As crazy as it sounds, at least right now, I'm looking forward to it.

I wish you all the best.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

ha! you are doing so well. and the first person i have ever heard so darn grateful to have a broken foot!

i'd save that cast and have it bronzed..
Old 06-13-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi ontrackagain,

What happens after the cast comes off? I understand the need to stay in today, but it's also important to have a plan in place - as alcoholics, we can deceive ourselves into thinking that we are doing okay since we aren't drinking - 'it wasn't so bad' etc.
Do you have a support system in place? What keeps you sober, besides the broken foot? BTW, well done on your 16 days - that in itself is a miracle for any alcoholic! Congrats!

Rowan
Old 06-13-2007, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent Point Rowan,

I have plenty of AA meetings close by my home. There is also a SOS meeting on Tuesdays close by and Thursdays a bit further away. I have already contacted the SOS moderator and plan on attending meetings the week of 25th. That ought to give me enought time to recover enough to hobble on over.

I am hoping to find a likeminded group, I'm pretty anxious about attedning. But as have said before, I will do anything to stop my drinking.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cool. I used SOS myself in the early days - an addictions counsellor there made a huge impact on my recovery.
I'm glad you have a plan in place - great things lie ahead!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everything happens for a reason. The longer I'm in this program, the more I realize that there is no such thing as a coincedence.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you!
Congratulations on your sober time
Old 06-13-2007, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 16 days sober.
Hoping your foot heels soon and you keep on track!
Old 06-13-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, ontrack=) You're doing great! Keep it up! I think it's wonderful that you've been able to turn a potential hinderance to your sobriety into an aide to sobriety. Sometimes we've gotta work with what we've got. When your desperate, any motivation or rational reasoning is better than none. I personally like "I laughed and said yeah like a need a drunk while hobbling ticket." Keep doing what you need to do to stay sober. I'm happy for you=)
Old 06-13-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Idiot extraordinaire

Originally Posted by ontrackagain View Post
Hi all,

I hope you are all doing well today. I broke my foot about 10 days ago. I had 6 days sober when I broke it. I am on day 16 now. Sorry, I'm a day counter. Can't wait until there is a day that it won't really matter. Anyway, I think this broken foot thing might be a blessing disguise. Hobbling around on one good foot certainly keeps you away from the drink!

Yesterday, a friend of mine jokingly asked if I needed anything..."a bottle of whiskey perhaps?" She doesn't know I have decided never to drink again. I laughed and said yeah like a need a drunk while hobbling ticket. Don't think I wanna break anything else thank you. I know I'm using it right now but hey, why not make lemonade right?

After surgery on Friday I'll have 6 weeks in a cast. That on top of my 18 days by then ought to give me a good 2 months sober. As crazy as it sounds, at least right now, I'm looking forward to it.

I wish you all the best.
I sprained my ankle and broke some bone (can't remember the name now, I looked it up) in my foot last time I drank. It is still sore and it's been a month now. I also had some car accidents (Thank God I never hurt anyone). I totaled my Jaguar. I can't believe I didn't get hurt either.

I've fallen down the stairs twice also.

Since I started drinking again a couple of years ago, I can't believe how much I black-out. I never did in my 20s. I was on Seroquel though for my insomnia and think that exacerbated alcohol for me. I got off of that prescription a month ago also, am trying everything to stop relapsing.

I know in AA they say when you quit and start again that you start as if you'd never quit and I now believe this because after 22 years of not drinking it was amazing how much worse I'd gotten.

I feel for you OTA. Don't feel bad about counting how long you've been sober, I've only been sober a month now and even when I quit in 1983 I still kept count for all of those years.

Good for you that you're waking up from the nightmare. I hope I can stay awake.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i think every day should be counted, and credited for. everyday sober is an amazing feat for us! congrats and good luck
Old 06-14-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your wisdom and support. It is much appreciated. Wow! 2 decades of not drinking! That is amazing! I am sorry that you had a relapse. Would you let me know what "triggered" it? If it is personal, I understand.

I look forward to knocking down my first 30. Keep it up all. You inspire me.