Notices

how do u cope with FB?

Old 06-12-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how do u cope with FB?

Please move if I have put this in the wrong place, apologises if I have.

Does anyone experiencing flashbacks, and physical flashbacks? When they happen I always feel drained, and end up being sick, and having the bad smell from the person in the past - I've been having them most of the day, and now I'm drained and want to break away, the only way I know is to drink and drink until I pass out and sleep..if I don't drink 2nite I won't sleep and the flashbacks will get worse. how do u cope with these?

sorry. feel free to kick me, I need to move on..I know I keep sayin it..and I'm sorry that I'm still crap.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Determined

Hi Lost,

Sorry but I don't have any advice for you re flashbacks and I know that is what you asked for, but I thought a big hug might be a bit of use to you.

((((((((((((((LOST))))))))))))))

Hopefully someone will be along to give you some practical advice , we all want you to say no to the drink and to be able to get a proper decent sleep.

Sending you love and hugs

CW
Old 06-12-2007, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

((((Jodie))))
Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am not quite sure what you mean by flash backs.
If you mean when your mind is stuck thinking of past events or a song or a smell or something triggers past memory. Then I feel you.
I get stuck on past events when I am trying to go to sleep.
I start playing it over in my mind and cant stop thinking about it and it progresses into more and more thoughts. Then the feelings start kicking in too.
I have to get up and do something to get my mind on something else. Anything.
I even talk myself down sometimes.
I dont know if thats what you mean.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I thank God that I am not in that situation any longer, then I try to go back to sleep. When I was new in recovery, I had to get up and watch TV or read or call someone, anything I had to do to NOT use. It took a while, a few years in fact to be able to thank God I was no longer that person, or not in that situation before I could fall back asleep...but it was so worth the work and persistence it took not to pick up. Please don't get me wrong....it was not easy at first..but it gets easier with time. Today, I sleep like a rock. Be patient and forgiving towards yourself, you can do this!!!

Big hugs to you....((((((Lost_Child)))))

Cathy
Old 06-12-2007, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is from Morning Glory and it's really helpful. It gives you information on how to stop flashbacks and deal with memory:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...anagement.html
Old 06-12-2007, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have read the emotional tramuma posted my MG, I'm just havin trouble digesting and understanding and actioning. Chiynita that is what I call I call a flashback, its normally triggered by something, or sometime just happens and I don't know why. I do get more of an evening and when I try to sleep, or relax. i do read and/or watch telly, I can't call anyone cause its always late and I don't want to wake anyone or burden anyone, they don't need it. I try writing, I try moving away, banging my feet but sometimes the smell follows me, if its visual I can normally break it, but if its physical or a smell I can't break away and I end up cutting, drinking or something to bring me back..I just want it to stop, I don't want to relive thru the years, I remember some of it, I don't want to relive it. My counsellor says I need to relive it to move on from it but it hurts too much, I don't feel stable enough to deal with anymore. sorry tears are coming, stupid pathetic tears, pathetic pathetic pathetic.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that this fact is really significant:

"The emotional part of a memory begins 90 to 120 seconds after a file is pulled (meaning after a thought comes into your head).

In mental health situations, this is perhaps the most important neurological rule. Once we pull a file, after 90 seconds the emotional component begins. Our mood starts to change, returning us to the mood which was present when the file was made. As an example, remember someone discussing the recent death of a loved one. The first two minutes of conversation may go well - then they become sad. The longer the file is out (being discussed), the more the emotional component surfaces to the point that they will become tearful. If the file remains out, the exact feelings made at the time of the funeral and death will surface - they will talk about loss, love, guilt, or whatever other feelings are in the file."

So...you have a minute and a half to two minutes to switch your thoughts to something else. I hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, that does help. I think the amount of information was to much for my brain to cope with. Thank u. I will try and change the thought when it happens. Thank you
Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lost Child,
I'm so sorry to hear you are dealing with flashbacks. I suffered from flashbacks for over a year. At times they became nearly debilitating. I found relief through EMDR therapy. It is a relatively new kind of therapy. It is available in the UK. I don't know if insurance covers it, but you don't go forever... just a limited number of sessions. I think I did eight.

The premise of the rationale behind EMDR is essentially as follows:
Your brain processes the info it receives everyday in REM sleep.
When you experience trauma, your brain is incapable of processing those events.
Thus, they remain in your brain unprocessed.
So, whenever you encounter anything that triggers a memory of the traumatic event, you experience the full extent of emotions you had at the time of the event.
This is why the emotions during flashbacks can be so intense.
Through EMDR, you simulate REM sleep, relive those experiences in the safe environment of a therapist's office, discuss every emotions associated with the trauma, and replace those thoughts with new thoughts.
This finally processes the trauma, allowing one to experience triggers without flashbacks.

It sounds scary to relive the trauma, but if you are reliving it through daily flashbacks anyway, it might be worth it to do it for the therapy.
I cannot tell you how much this had an impact on my life. It doesn't work for everyone, but it worked for me. So, I felt I should share my experience with you.
Here is a link
www.emdr-therapy.com
Very best, lost child. I'm praying for you.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Determined

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
I think that this fact is really significant:

"The emotional part of a memory begins 90 to 120 seconds after a file is pulled (meaning after a thought comes into your head).

In mental health situations, this is perhaps the most important neurological rule. Once we pull a file, after 90 seconds the emotional component begins. Our mood starts to change, returning us to the mood which was present when the file was made. "

So...you have a minute and a half to two minutes to switch your thoughts to something else. I hope this helps.
Anna, that is exactly what my therapist was telling me about my panic attacks .....

I know its not nearly the same Lost but basically my panic attacks are apparently caused by my mind percieving a threat that may have be due to a memory in my subconcious....he told me I have 90 secons from the onset to change my thought pattern and to try to come out of it and I have to repeat positive statements even if I don't truly believe them...things like I choose not to panic, or I choose not to allow myself to feel happy. He said not to use words like I choose NOT to feel like this or any statements conataining NOT, as the mind does not recognise NOT....(does that make sense!??) Anyway apparently doing that takes back control and it is IMPOSSIBLE to be both in control and Out of control oof your emotions.....

Hope some of thathelps I am rushing to get out door

Hugs

CW
Old 06-13-2007, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Determined

Originally Posted by cyberwolf View Post
I have to repeat positive statements even if I don't truly believe them...things like I choose not to panic, or I choose not to allow myself to feel happy. He said not to use words like I choose NOT to feel like this or any statements conataining NOT, as the mind does not recognise NOT....(does that make sense!??)
CW

Have just re-read that, and .... NO it doesnt make sense!!!!!....sorry Lost.....what it should say is.... I have to repeat positive statements such as I choose to be panic free or I choose to be free from fear, or I choose to be happy. He said not to use words like "I choose NOT to feel like this" or any statements conataining NOT, as the mind does not recognise NOT. So therefore if you say I choose NOT to be sad the mind only hears I choose to be sad..... apparently.

And as Anna said the thoughts have to be stopped in approximately the first 90 seconds.

Hope that makes more sense

Sorry for confusion...it was early, I was in a rush and I had forgotten to take my medication!!!!!!

Big hugs
Old 06-13-2007, 07:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Im sorry I have no advice to give you on the flashbacks. I never experienced that and I am sorry to hear that you are. I hope you can get them under control ASAP and hope you are feeling better soon.
Just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts. i wish I could be of more help to you.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lost Child,

I know exactly what your talking about. I don't know how old you are, but when i was a young girl in my teens and very early 20's I had a lot of emotional and mental problems. I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress disorder. It what some of the guys get when they come home from war. If something tragic happened in your life that can happen to you. I use to have flashback's at work when i was 19 years old. It was really effecting my job. I would be sitting there doing my job and all of a sudden i would be having flashbacks of the bad things my dad did to me. I would think i was actually there sometimes. This all happened before I got drinking all of the time. My psychiatrist gave me prescription drugs that helped to to get over it along with counseling. Now I'm not perfect or saying that's what you have. I'm still struggling with problems of my own. I just wanted to share this with you and let you know that your not alone.

Barb
Old 06-14-2007, 02:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been diagnosed with complex ptsd as well, it wasn't until I read a book called straight talk ptsd that I understood a bit more about it. I am seeing a counsellor and she does help, but the flashbacks are getting worse I seem very easily triggered at the moment.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hugs, lost child. I know it was very hard for me to deal with flashbacks. Keep talking to your counselor. You need the support. Try to identify what might set off a flashback... times of day, certain locations, hearing something. If you can identify something it may not only help you avoid flashbacks, but also help you work through the flashbacks themselves. Explore your options. Help is out there. You don't deserve to suffer. Another big hug!