Notices

Off on vacation...

Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Off on vacation...

Ok, so I decided to give up drinking a whole day and a half ago, and I am going off on vacation tomorrow. This is making me anxious about the whole rationalizing thing we do. I really, really, really want to succeed at this whole vacation without alcohol idea (what a concept, huh?). I am so used to vacation revolving pretty much around the whole "It's 5 o'clock somewhere!" mentality!! ha ha
I hope to attend meetings there, but that will be new to me also, and I am going somewhere very remote and I am not sure if that will be available for me.
Also, I KNOW my husband will say, first night "Oh hon, let's just have a drink...we're on vacation!! I must say no, and it will be hard. He doesn't abuse the stuff, by the way...I do. And I don't think he even realizes at this point how bad it had gotten (I'm the one with the traveling husband), so I think he is kinda casual about it. I think he still believes I am exaggerating my problem.
Any advice on how to stay strong? I may be able to access my laptop, so I MAY be able to log on. 2 weeks on vacation!!! Right now part of me is like "YEA!! Can't wait!", and another part of me is like 'Uh-oh...can I handle this??"
Old 06-11-2007, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Paloma,

If you're truly ready to give up drinking, you will. I suggest you log on here when you can, and a trip to the library or bookstore might be a good idea. Stock up on some books for the vacation, maybe? Many good sober reads: I would suggest 'Drinking: a Love Story' by Caroline Knapp - 'Under the Influence' is another good one. Use this time to rest and educate yourself about this disease.
My best to you,

Rowan
Old 06-11-2007, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rowan has given you really good advice. I hope you have time to read and learn about recovery and are able to log on here.

Have you talked to your husband and explained how important this is to you? Of course, it's his vacation too and drinking may be a part of it. Hopefully he will not push you, and if he does, then you just need to focus on yourself and what you need to do. There is never a 'convenient' time to do this, and I think you have the right attitude to deal with it and get through it!