Notices

Question about other's drinking

Old 06-09-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Question about other's drinking

Ok, so since I've been sober, I've "noticed" how much others drink. Am I being "holier than thou"? Or, is it that a lot of people I know probably drink too much? Maybe my friends are talking about it to me more now that I am sober? Did I hang out with a bunch of drunks? (not all my friends).

Has anybody gone through this in early recovery?

Thanks..

K
Old 06-09-2007, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not so much. I really did need to focus on myself and try not to focus on anybody else's drinking. When people were going to be 'drinking', as opposed to 'having a drink', I would almost always choose to not be there.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm more aware of it, especially the smell. Did I really think no one could smell me ?

It doesn't bother me. Some people can drink, I can't. some people can't drink, but still so. I don't.

My sponsor says if it's past my nose, it's none of my business.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: Fedup With This Vicious Cycle and Am Doing Something About It
I try and not hang out around people who are going to be drinking since I am so early in the "recovery" process but it's tough when it seems so many people that are out and about, drink.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my early sobriety, I actually did notice others' drinking behaviours and I was astonished to see how few people drank. In restaurant, maybe only 30% of patrons are imbibing alcoholic bevs, and that floored me!

Then, by contrast, once I caught some hard core drinkers in their games: I witnessed , in a BYOB place, 2 peolpe in a large party, hoarding their own private bottles of wine, kept out of view in brown bags on the floor under their chairs, while allowing the others to fill their glasses, they would intermittently refill from the private stash. I cracked up, because, they probably thouight no body had a clue.

Like I used to do....
Old 06-09-2007, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Did I hang out with a bunch of drunks?
I ceertainly did! And I gave them up for
my healthy sobriety.

I found new friends in AA....
we share the same goals and lifestyles.

BTW....25 of my bar circle died in the last 23 years.
how sadly un-necessary!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Carol, 25!?!? That's quite a statistic. I'm really sorry to hear that. It must have been an all-too-real reminder of why you got sober. Thank you for sharing that. It helps me remember just how dangerous drinking is. I know it would have killed me and it still could... so, one day at a time.

As for me, because I am so new to sobriety, I've really been sheltering myself from people and places in general, let alone where there is any alcohol involved. So, I haven't been in a situation in which I would even be able to taje note of others' drinking habits.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Thanks for all the feedback...just to clear it up, I no longer hang out with my friends who go out specifically just to party..just seems as I'm talking to people, they are mentioning more people having a problem/overdoing it with alcohol.