SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Thankful Hearts Will Never Part (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/125550-thankful-hearts-will-never-part.html)

Luckyv2 06-08-2007 05:49 AM

Thankful Hearts Will Never Part

This came out of my mind this morning when posting in one of the many Gratitude Threads that are here at SR. After posting it, I started thinking of how so true this phrase is "Thankful Hearts Will Never Part!"

One thing that I have learned in recovery is that if we are not thankful for what we have it can be taken away quicker than receiving it. I think this goes so much into life in itself. It speaks of gratitude IMO at the highest level.

This addict can always find things that he don't like but it seems like it takes a little more effort for me to look at the good things that are happening in my life. I know that my programing in my mind, hasn't been programed very well during my life, due to the drug usage that I have done. It has made me into someone that I wasn't very proud of and yet today with the program of Recovery that was so freely given to me, I don't look at my past with either hatred or with shame. The reason is that my past just like all of ours is our best teacher, and when we can actually learn from others than maybe we won't have to make the same mistakes.

So today I do have a thankful heart and I try to keep it that way.

Thanks for letting me share

parentrecovers 06-08-2007 05:49 AM

well said, chance! blessings, k

Rowan 06-08-2007 05:52 AM

Yup, our past becomes our greatest asset when we can use it to help another.

Learning to look at life differently can be difficult but well worth the effort.

Very grateful today. Thanks for the thread, Vic!

Row

Aysha 06-08-2007 06:07 AM

Thanks for the reminder Vic.
I needed it. Especially today.

Rowan 06-08-2007 06:08 AM

You in a lot of pain today, Chiy?

Aysha 06-08-2007 06:15 AM

I am a mess.
I have a cold now...Cant stop coughing. And it hurts like hell everytime I do.
got my friend. So I have cramps 10 times worse than usual.
My wound is sore. Feels like something stuffed up under my ribs.
I ache all over.
My nose is running.
But I am alive to feel these things.
It will pass.
I am sitting here with a nice hot cup of green tea..listening to my music.
I feel pretty calm considering.
Thank you for asking.

wingsfree 06-08-2007 06:20 AM

Oh (((Vic)))) Great post and very powerful.

The reason is that my past just like all of ours is our best teacher, and when we can actually learn from others than maybe we won't have to make the same mistakes.
I couldn't agree more

So today I do have a thankful heart and I try to keep it that way.
My heart will remain thankful with you Vic.

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/8289/canat6.gif

Hugs my friend.....love Denise

Rowan 06-08-2007 06:31 AM

Keep practicing self-care, Chiy. Green tea and music sounds good.
Hopefully this will be the worst of it - the physical pain, I mean.

Anna 06-08-2007 06:44 AM

Vic,

Thanks for this. It's such a simple message but one we can easily forget, and it's so important.

insanebrain 06-08-2007 07:05 AM

wow

last night i wrote an entire list of everything i hate in life. this morning i get on and read about you all being grateful to just be alive. its been a long while since ive been grateful for anything. im tired of hearing myself whine. thanks for reminding me how to turn it around

Luckyv2 06-08-2007 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rowan (Post 1363207)
Keep practicing self-care, Chiy. Green tea and music sounds good.

Chiy OMG I also drink green tea and of course you know how much I love my music :)

Grateful today that I can persevere and not react in old behavior

Truly A Thankful Heart

Change4life 06-08-2007 05:36 PM

Thanks Vic. Im pretty sure we can all use this reminder to be grateful for all that we have instead of taking inventory of all the things we dont have.

I use to look at my past in disgust, but now I use it as a lesson instead of a curse.

Use to look at all the bad things in my life, but now I try to embrace the good.

There was always good there, but like you my brain was programmed all screwy from the drugs.

Thanks again for reminding this grateful heart.

GlassPrisoner 06-08-2007 06:16 PM

Mom always said:

"If you don't appreciate what you have, God will just take it away from you....."

IO Storm 06-08-2007 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks my friend Vic...

Never let me forget from whence I came and where I am today...

May I have a grateful heart.

Just for today..

Love,

IO

livefree 06-09-2007 08:28 AM

Thank you for posting that. For me, probably the hardest part of sobriety is not hating myself for my past. I hope I can learn to be as positive about it as you are.

GlassPrisoner 06-09-2007 11:31 AM

For me, probably the hardest part of sobriety is not hating myself for my past
The steps will help that, especially 4 & 5. I remember my past, but I don't regret it. Those promises come true....

IO Storm 06-09-2007 07:43 PM

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it...

Rather we will see how our story can be used to benefit others.
__________________________________________________ ___

Big Book AA

(Glass..please edit ..I'm not sure if it's all correct!)

Love,

IO