Notices

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

I'm a little nervous about starting my own thread, but I'm gonna do it. So, please be nice. Also, you might think this belongs in the ED forum, but I'm posting it here because it's about getting sober.

I keep being drawn to the thread about the sandwich. I didn't think it would be appropriate to post this in that thread because it would kind of kill the mood. I keep reading it, though, and I'm like, "I wish I could eat a sandwich like a normal person."

Anyhow, now that I'm sober, I'm dealing with my anorexia and bulimia and it's so frustrating. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the 'joys of sobriety' because of this. I know about how we can transfer addictions and, frankly, I think that's how my drinking got started. Among other things, it kept me from feeling hunger and/or from binging and purging (sorry if that grosses anyone out.)

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with anything similar. It doesn't have to be with an ED, but just any sort of transfer of addiction or an addiction that coexisted with alcoholism and was still there when you got sober. How did you deal with it?

Also, I want to clarify that I am happy for all the people who eat normally now. The sandwich thread made me laugh, but it also made me think. I hope I was able to articulate myself well and didn't offend anyone.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, I started that thread, but didn't think about anyone with an eating dis-order. Typical alkie in me......

Before I found recovery, I found lots of things to replace drinking with. For me it was achievement. I had a 4.0 GPA at night school (working full time, home, wife, kids) and raced Mountain Bikes semi pro. I even quit my job of 15 years and changed careers in my mid 30s.

How did I deal with it ? I didn't deal with it. It eventually quit working, and I returned to the booze for another 10 years of living hell.

The only thing I've found is to accept life on life's terms. To change my whole attitude and outlook on life. To change me. This wasn't possible alone, and I needed help from fellow sufferers and the ultimate source of help, God. This was done through AA, a 12 step program. Do you attend OA ?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi Live -

yes, addiction transfer is common throughout recovery. The Twelve Steps help with all those aspects, although sometimes it feels like juggling addictions and triggers.

Part of why a program of recovery, along with good medical advice is necessary.
necessary?
did *I* say that?
That's like saying when you jump out of plane,
a parachute is necessary ....
It's VITAL.

My own sponsor suggested we do the twelve for AA first, then deal with others as they 'morph' into others ...
boy.
there's a vivid image of mental health, isn't it?

LOL

Check out an older Oprah episode ... about women who got the gastric bypass and how their food addictions turned into alcoholism, then another became a drug addict, the other became a sex addict ... you'd have to check out her archive, I'd think - but the psychologist on the show had some quite powerful things to say about it.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glass,
Thank you for responding. I'm glad you made that thread. It made me laugh. It also gave me the courage to post my own thread. It's not your job to think about people with eating disorders... certainly not here in an alcoholism forum. This is a problem that I happen to have. It's becoming more commonly known in the ED medical world that ana and mia frequently turn into alcoholism or drug abuse and vice versa.

I pray that my ED won't lead me back to drinking. I'd like to think that it won't, but it's one day at time. I kind of think of it as the lesser of two evils.

I've been to OA, but had a hard time because a lot of the motivation for the participant is in weight loss. As an anorexic, I will always think that I should lose weight, but my doctors will beg to differ.

I've been blessed in that my therapist is in recovery from both bulimia and alcoholism... was God looking out for me or what?

I'd still just like to know if anyone's been in a situation because sometimes it can make me feel so alone.

Thanks again for responding and keep eating those Reubens!!!

Barb,
Thank you, too.

The AA first approach has kinda been how I've been taking this. I know I'd NEVER be able to take care of the ED if I were still drinking. Therapy just doesn't work when you're drunk. I know life is better now that I'm sober even if I'm still dealing with the ED. I've had an ED since I was 11. I had my first drink at 18. Anorexia and bulimia have been a way of life for a long time. I guess I need to give it more time.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

My friend's 23 yr.old daughter just completed a yr. residential drug rehab program. Now she is participating in an outpatient eating disorders program for her anerexia/binging disorder. She told me that thid is the final component that she must deal with to conquer of her addictions. So I assume it is common
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

WAY TO GO !

High Five! Go Red Sox.

Yes but not an ED. My ED issues are more of bad habits learned and not fully corrected yet.
As for any issue I find in life... The 12 steps used in AA work for all areas of life.
Change what I can and seek answers outside myself for areas that I can't change or control.
One day at a time (or moment if need be) we stop our drinking.
One meal at a time bring the same focus there. Just for this meal I will eat healthy and treat myself as best I can. I am worth it.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Spiritual Seeker, thank you... and I'm 23, too! Sounds like your daughter and I have a lot in common. I've done a lot of different treatment programs. I'm still struggling, but I haven't lost hope yet.

Best, I should change my location. I just go to school in NYC. I'm a sox fan, born and bred. Thank you for your encouragement. I continue to try to apply the 12 steps to everything in my life. I only have 78 days. So, I know I need to give it time.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hugs and support to you, livefree. 78 days is a great accomplishment. blessings, k