Notices

Going to Jail and Lost Girlfriend due to drinking

Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome... I've read the good advice that everyone else has offered. This is a great place to share, learn, get inspired...

I had to spend 4 months in prison last year due to my 3rd DWI. While there, I signed up to attend the weekly AA meeting (true...only 1 per week) that was offered. There were only a few other women who went to these meetings & when I would ask other women who were serving time for DWI why they had no interest in giving AA a try, they would say that they didn't feel that they had a drinking problem. The realization that I never would have had to be there if it weren't for alcohol was undeniable.

AA continues to give me hope, support & the guidance needed for a better life. I hope you keep posting to let us know how you're doing.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Paul...Welcome!

It's not important what you drink when yu drink or
how much you drink..

Drinking is screwing up your life..

I totally agree with Tom...so I will quote him...

paul, welcome!!! speaking up takes courage, awesome!!!

suggestion: haviong close ties with the legal community, as well as being an alcoholic, whose life sucked when I drank, I can tell you, the courts LOVE IT when you take responsibilty and take proactive steps!

So, suggest you find all the local AA meetings, make up your own little attendance form, and each time you go, get it signed showing you attended a meeting.

While you may have thoughts or ideas of what AA is, lol, perhaps this is not the time to get stuck on it.

I know, FOR A FACT, IT WILL HELP YOUR CAUSE. Go to as many as possible, even two or three a day.

Stick around, the people here are awesome!!!

Tom
Old 06-10-2007, 08:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Paul?

Paul?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well I am going to give AA a try but still amn't convinced that it's for me - but anything that helps out in court.

Do appreciate the advice in any case - I know I have to sort things out somehhow.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Paul-
Just a thought....I don't think it's something you need to be convinced about at this point. No pressure. I like try and think that I keep an open mind to things, because I have found that a lot of times they are not what my preconceived notions of them were and I've found that I was pleasantly surprised. Hang in there. We are here with you. Somewhere, even though you may not know right now... there is a silver lining to all of this for you.

hugs and support.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Have read lots of stuff on this forum and it has been an eye opener.

Well I'm in court tomorrow and I won't admit it to others but the thoughts of prison freaks me out. Some people are saying that it's a chance for a fresh start but at the moment it seems like the end of the world. I can't get my head around the fact that tonight will be my last night at home and in my own bed and then on Friday I'll be locked up. I just don't know how I'l cope. I know I'm feeling pretty **** about things but it's recking my head now but I can't help it.

If anybody has any experience of going through jail/prison or being involved with somebody inside I'd still like to know how things happened and worked out. As I said before my family are sticking by me but my girlfriend has dumped me.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi Paul -

I don't have any experience with jail .. although I don't know why.

But I know you're up and freaking out, and I wanted to post and let you know I'm here, and others will be along soon. Just if you need to talk.

*prayers*
Old 06-21-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Paul,

I know you're scared. Sending you good thoughts as you go through this. Hoping for the best possible outcome. So glad you have your family's support.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Paul,

I sure understand how scared you must be. Just try to believe that things are happening the way they are meant to be. You'll get through this. And, stay positive and believe in the future you want to have.

Let us know how things go tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it's not about getting out of trouble, paul - it's about staying out of trouble. you can get through this. and you never have to get in this position again. you have choices.

blessings, k
Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

is it POSSIBLE you are getting ahead of yourself here?

are you willing to be humble, accept responsibility & demonstrate your willingness to change?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Just checking in again. Things are alot better for me now than they were back in June. I got 9 months but only did 4. In England you basically get half off your sentence for good behaviour and that. It was the worse time in my life but I want to put it behind me now. Thanks for the good wishes any way.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've been there. I noticed that you said that you don't have any problems when you control your drinking. Maybe that's what you need to do right now. If you are having problems controlling the amount you take just stop. If that then becomes a problem then you might want to check out AA again.

Best of luck!!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Paul,

I am so glad you got through that.

Now, it's time to look forward!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi Paul . I'm glad to hear you're done with your time. Have you changed your life any?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Bit more relaxed with things now that I am out I have to say. I'm keeping out of trouble as I don't want to go back. As far as the drink is concerned I've cut back alot. The first night out after about 4 drinks I had had enough - hadn't had a proper drink for months and after that I had a couple of night sout but not drinking anything like before.

Since I was inside they brought in a smoking ban over here so you have to go outside to smoke and people tend to hang around. When we were out my mates would always make sure I didn't go outside on my own to have a smoke in case I'd do something stupid!! They trust me a bit more now after a few weeks.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
believer

I turned 23 a few months ago and i can tell you this..My life changed this year, when i decided i was tired of hurting myself. I went to the root of it, and even tough life isn't perfect it's incredibly worth it...

it will be ok...just stay strong and love yourself...
Old 12-13-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Paul!
Welcome. You'll find the people on here to be great and often have allot of good advice to share.

Originally Posted by Paul84 View Post
the fight I had happened when I was drunk and lost it.
Does it really matter that you lost it? Would you have been in a fight if you wern't drunk?

You havn't said if you're still drinking. You do say towards the end of your post that you're scared of the situation in which you're in at the moment. Trust me if you continue drinking your situation will only get worse.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:17 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You're right that I wouldn't have gotten into the fight if I hadn't been drinking. I know that but I don't be drinking that much all the time.

Yes I am having a few drinks now and then since I've been out - a month. I got to do an alcohol awareness course in jail and I didn't have a drink for over 4 months and it wasn't like I was dying for one. I am careful about not having too much anymore. I haven't been in any bother since so I reckon if I just take it easy I can be OK. I only really have had problems when I drank too much.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm sorry Paul, I didn't realize that your original post was written 6 months ago. I've got my head in the clouds today
I'm glad to hear your keeping out of trouble and doing alrite drinking in moderation.