Notices

ativan, secrets and a hope for first days

Old 06-01-2007, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ativan, secrets and a hope for first days

OK, I posted, I got some great vibes from this community, I am not drinking right now as I type (which is pretty good for me these days). Is there anybody with insight into using an anxiety med for the first days of cold turkey? This seems like an excellent idea to me, but then... it would.
All hints on just getting through the weekend that looms ahead are appreciated. I actually saved this med when it was prescribed for me so that I could use it to help quit drinking. I have to roll my eyes at myself because I am all too aware that I really like drugs and alcohol, and have gone to great lengths to get both at times.

I made my last trip to the liquor store yesterday, to fill up bottles that I had secretly drained so my spouse wouldn't notice; at this point I have no hidden empty bottles, no secret cans of "Sprite" that is half vodka, no chablis disguised as lemonade, and a plan that includes you guys, and honestly I am pretty nervous. I can admit to myself that I am an alcoholic, but I don't think I can admit that to my family or friends. Will this work anyhow?
Old 06-01-2007, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I am many things. I am a wife, a mother, a friend, a volunteer, an employee and an addict. It's part of who I am, but it's not me. Admitting to yourself that you need help is a big first step.

For me what worked in the first weeks was to be sure I was doing something different at the times of the day when I would have been drinking. Maybe you can plan to go for a long walk, to a concert, a movie, anything that will take your mind off drinking, even for just a few minutes. Planning ahead worked for me.

As far as using Ativan to get off alcohol, I wouldn't do that without talking to your dr. In fact, you should check with your dr before you decide to stop drinking because it can be dangerous. If your dr suggests medication, then that's fine.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I think going cold turkey off anything without seeing a Dr is not wise.
You have a great attitude.
And yes like Anna said..the hardest part is admitting to yourself first.
You seem to be thinking in the right direction.
But I would consult your Dr before taking anything.
Keep up the positive attitude.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi Roandlan,

Quitting cold turkey is very dangerous, I've detoxed CT in the past and lucky I'm still here after what could have happened........I finally told my DR (which was hard to do) the next time I needed detox, and he was able to get me help and info. I detoxed at home safely with meds to smooth out withdrawl all with the help of my doctor. I really did not think he would understand, but he did and I wish I had gone to him sooner..... Go see your doctor and be safe......... Your anxiety can be controlled during your withdrawl and then after it is over start your recovery program.......Ned
Old 06-01-2007, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi roandlan,

I dont know about using Ativan to detoix from booze, but you would be safest to run it by a healthcare professional whom you trust. You need support and we can give you that here, but as far as sound healthcare advice, we can only offer our own experiences.

My own experience is that I sometimes have bad ideas and that I usually like to isolate myself when it would truly be better to connect with others. So, the fact that you are here, and connecting with and telling us whats on your mind is a great start.

Next, like Anna said, maybe you can plan activities to carry you through the usual trigger times. This is something I had to do for, like a whole year...thats why i go to AA meetings at 7 or 8 pm. It beats drinking.

I wish you peace and health. Stick around!!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your anxiety can be controlled during your withdrawl and then after it is over start your recovery program
Yup, both times I did inpatient de-tox, I thought all I had to do was make it through withdraw and I was home free. I drank on the way home the first time, 6 weeks later the 2nd.

I did the same during home de-toxes up to the last. I finally got it the last time. I can't drink and I need a program. AA in my case.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi.....
Here is a link full of information
excerpts from the book that convinced me to quit drinking

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I stay quit with God and AA.

Blessings