Notices

Antabuse

Old 05-25-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have read alot an antabuse, and it seems some people are immune to it, or tolerate it much better than others. Not real effective for them. Another issue is doseage, all good reasons to TALK TO YOUR DOC!

I have seen it mentioned in the reading I've done to try a drink or two under controlled conditions, to make you aware of the reaction. Never sounded like a good idea, since as some my be immune, others may be overly reactive.

Steve
Old 05-25-2007, 02:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

OK, antabuse, narolex, whatever, will only help some people and will NOT do the job for you. I get the impression that you want to take something that will take over the responsibility of cutting down/stopping drinking for you.

That doesn't exist.

Only YOU can stop yourself drinking - for you - and its f'kin hard work, painful and at times it feels impossible. But never expect a pill, or anything outside of yourself, to do it for you.

Sorry to spell it out but that's life. I still find it very difficult to accept that I have to take full responsibilty for a) the way I feel and b) my destructive actions depending on the way I feel.

If anyone makes me feel bad for being me in any situatuation, I will guarantee to make myself feel 10 x worse by beating myself up, drinking too much, doing gear, trying to switch off my just because I am used to dealing with those feelings.

A couple of weeks sober and I forget all this and do it all again. Has anyone ever thought that being 'happy' or 'sad' or 'suicidal' or 'numb' is our physical self trying despately to engage with our mental self...

Anyway, rambling now, and wish I could practise what I preach

M xx
Old 05-26-2007, 04:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Para. The best thing you can do is discuss this with your doctor. Here's a study:

Alcohol Deterrents Boost Sobriety
1/5/2006
THURSDAY, Jan. 5 (HealthDay News) -- The alcohol-deterrent drugs disulfiram and calcium carbimide helped chronic alcoholics achieve high rates of long-term abstinence, a new study found.
The nine-year study of 180 chronic alcoholics found these alcohol deterrents (ADs) can help achieve an abstinence rate of more than 50 percent.
"Abstinence rates were better in patients who stayed on alcohol deterrents for more than 20 months as compared to patients who terminated intake at 13 to 20 months," corresponding author Hannelore Ehrenreich, head of the division of clinical neuroscience at the Max-Planck-Institute of Experimental Medicine in Germany, said in a prepared statement.
The study findings suggest that these deterrents may have a psychological, rather than pharmacological, action.
"First, the longer the intake, the more likely is a patient to stay continuously abstinent even after the termination of ADs. Second, the dose of ADs is as irrelevant as the experience of a subsequent reaction for ADs to be effective. Third, sham-ADs are as efficient as disulfiram or calcium carbimide, provided that the use is repeatedly explained and continuously guided and encouraged," Ehrenreich said.
Alcohol deterrents are more widely accepted and used in Europe than in North America.
The findings appear in the January issue of the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research.
More information
The National Mental Health Association has more about alcoholism.
SOURCE: Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, news release, Jan. 3, 2006

This study reports pretty high efficacy rates.

It is so important that antabuse is used in conjunction with therapy/program for success in recovery. Once again, please talk to your doctor.

Antabuse has helped me tremendously. I have been in recovery for many years with little success until I put together my own program that included the use of this medication.

I don't regret it. Now, I'm off antabuse and continuing to experiece benefits as a result of my choices. Better still, I'm comfortable with my current thought process and confident that my choice to abstain is solid.

Good luck and keep well