Notices

Acceptance?

Old 05-23-2007, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acceptance?

How do you accept that you are an alcoholic? Whats the difference between a heavy drinker and an alcoholic?

I wish I could just accept that I am an alcoholic but I don't seem to be able to, I know I drink way to much and wish I didn't so I try to stop, last week I went 5 days with out a drink and had a really good week, no hangovers, more energy, less depressed etc so why do i then think it is ok to have a drink, maybe I would be classed more as a binge drinker, but somtimes I can "binge" evey night for a week then take a day or 2 off but usually after a day of abstinence the cravings come and I think it will be ok to drink again.

I somtimes think it would be easier if I was a "typical" alcoholic, you know the sterotype that people with out alcohol problems think of, wake up and have a drink to start the day etc, (I hope that dosn't offend anyone, I am not sure how else to describe what I mean) if I did that I think I could accept I was an alcoholic and accept I have to quit, maybe, I don't know, it just seems to me that because I have "some" degree of control over my drinking that I can't quite accept I am alcoholic and I am more of a heavy drinker that makes it harder for me personally.

I am not even sure why I am writing this really, obviously I had way to much to drink again last night and am suffering the concequenses this morning and again my inner voice is yelling at me, see you shouldn't drink, you know what happens etc, yet I know that tommrow that voice will change to, as long as you only drink x ammount of untis whats the harm etc.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, how do you accept that you can't drink? Does anybody else have this constant fight with themselves trying to work out if they are an alcoholic rather than a heavy drinker. I guess it dosn't really matter either way as which ever I am I know I don't want to drink yet I still do :/

Sorry for ramberling on if you got this far, I am just trying to get some understanding as I feel the more I know the better I will be able to deal with this problem.

Sax
Old 05-23-2007, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a great question, and you're not rambling.

But I think it's interesting the way you pose the question -

"I guess what I am trying to ask is, how do you accept that you can't drink?"

I know where you're coming from, but that isn't the thing I accepted. What I accepted was that I couldn't stop drinking. Curiously, because I accepted that I couldn't stop, I was able to stop! I know it sounds a bit convoluted, but when I cam to the realisation that I couldn't stop, I was able to accept that there must be something different about me. Now, I choose to call that a "disease", something I was very anti- before I actually did it. I thought calling it a disease was a cop-out. But I carried on drinking until I had no other sensible explanation left - there must be something different about me, because no matter what I do I can't stop drinking. So, now on a dialy basis, the most important thing I can do is simply - not drink. I accept that if I pick up again, I don't know when, or if I'll ever stop.

They say alcoholics are all or nothing people. Well, I am when it comes to drink. And today it's nothing.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sax
I guess what I am trying to ask is, how do you accept that you can't drink?
for me sax... when the consiquences of not drinking outway the consiquences of drinking... mind, body and soul...

good wishes sax...
Old 05-23-2007, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sax,

If alcohol is causing you problems in your life, then probably, in my opinion, you are an alcoholic. If you're not sure, try stopping drinking completely for a specific period of time - say, a month, and see what happens. If you're not an alcholic, you should have no problem doing this.

I am glad that you're seeking answers. Take a look around and read and learn. There is lots of support here.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sax,

I was a binge drinker myself - and was able to stop for periods of time - but couldn't STAY stopped. I had to let go of the 'alcoholic' stereotype, and accept that I drank alcoholically. I'm glad you're here. My best to you.

Rowan
Old 05-23-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went through the samething.
There was that soft inner voice telling that I needed to stop.
I had a hard time accepting it becuase of my perception of what an alcohilc is.
But I kept doing the samething over and over again expecting a different result.

I didn't drink every night, sometimes I'll even leave beer in the frigg for a week.
I wasn't a typicle alcoholic...I was your garden veriety type of alki.
I had typicle alcoholic thinking thou

The thing of it is..when I started reading more about alcohilsm...
I'm actaully a hard core alcoholic to the bone.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why do you feel you need to admit you are an alcoholic?

Something that helped me when I was comparing myself to what I see as a "REAL" alcoholic is the concept of "YET"...

anything you say I didn't do that ... put YET at the end...

For me this was a progression... and the YETs were getting fewer and fewer...
Old 05-23-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I think in a way by coming here you've answered your own question, it's always good to go seek professional help, Doctor or counsellor. I'm glad you found us and Welcome.

indigo
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Copie (2) de 1-1.gif (13.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-23-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello....

Here is a link with info...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Note there are stages of alcoholism
what you think of as typical is late stage.

The difference between a heavy drinker and an alcoholic?
I still have no clue as to what day
or which drink slid me over the line!

Take care