Notices

Am I setting myself-up?

Old 05-22-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I setting myself-up?

I have been thinking a lot today that maybe I have in some way set myself up to not drink.

I decided to quit 2 days before I was going away to my in-laws for the weekend. I knew I would not drink there because one drink would not do the deed.

That was 2 weeks ago....since then, I have done just about everything during the evenings to get out of the house. I volunteer to take the kids to baseball just about everynight, or I go to a meeting.

I am scared to fall back into my old routine.....folding laundry, and drinking, making dinner, and drinking.

Am I doing the right thing? Am I setting myself-up to not be able to be home in the evenings?
Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think so- IMO you are right to change up your routine. You don't need those triggers. Eventually it will be easier to do some of those things. You are off to a great start.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I think you need to do whatever it takes in early sobriety.

I did what you are doing and changed my routines and the patterns in my life. I needed to change things to get through the first weeks. I used to drink alone at home and at first I would go out or be doing something totally different. But, before long, I felt comfortable staying home by myself.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you are doing what you need to and it's working.

now, plan ahead to see what might get you through a night at home.

for me, making dinner was a trigger. so i needed to find a substitute for a drink while i cooked.

water tasted bad when i was detoxing and soda was not doing it for me, so i found that diet limeade worked. tart and sweet. others have used peppermint tea, lemonade, club soda or tonic w/fruit juice--whatever. the point is to have something that tastes good to you nearby so you don't start salivating for the alcohol...

same with sitting down in the evening to watch tv. always had a glass of wine. for me, i had to stop that routine for awhile. bought myself some aa literature and books about recovering people (drinking: a love story, dry) and went off to bed to read. or, i'd grab a big glass of limeade and settle down to watch tv.

you do what you need to do in order to get through. planning ahead is a responsible and prudent thing to do. there will be tough days...change is a big part of recovery. you are doing it!

keep coming back!

hugs,
Old 05-22-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree that changing routines is necessary, especially in the beginning. It's also important that you recognize those times that you would normally drink as triggers. You have received some great suggestions from the others.
I'm glad you found us, Blueberry Girl

Rowan
Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just an opinion, but my drinking was mainly done in front of the tv. I am intentionally sitting myself in front of the tv and following all of my other routines but NOT drinking. My theory goes that then I am less likely to have any nasty suprises later if I don't try to avoid my triggers now. Maybe a foolish plan?? Still I guess it's what works for the individual
Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I keep an alcohol free home.

And I too always have a beverage going.

Keep in focus...Sobriety Rocks!
Old 05-22-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree... whatever it takes in early sobriety...

BUT that being said you cannot avoid laundry forever... perhaps the folding...

For me... I had a hard time with right after I put my kids to bed... that was time to crack open a cold one... it was such a habbit for me...

It takes some time to break a habbit... so avoiding your old habbits for some time... I can't see the harm... but at some point you need to get back to business... if that means you do your laundry differently to avoid a trigger so be it...

All that matters is that you don't drink... all bets are off if you don't do that...

The fact that you are thinking about if you are setting yourself up is a BIG indicator that you are not... (in my opinion)... the setup occurs when you are not ready for something and it catches you by surprise and were not able to handle it... you are ready... and when you have properly armed yourself for the laundry/cooking battle... you will not be set up... you will not fail...!!!