Notices

Advice needed

Old 05-22-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice needed

Hi everyone this is my first time posting. I do not think that i am an "alcoholic" but just someone who is having problems with it at the moment. Just quick introduction I am a 21 year old college senior.
For the past two weekends in a row I had to be taken to the hospital for drinking too much. Both times I did not have alcohol poisoning just really sick. One time the police saw me drunk outside a friends apartment complex and told them to take me to the hospital, the second time I was at a bar and after it closed i was kind passed out on the sidewalk when an ambulance came by and stopped. After the first time I thought to my self this is ridiculous I can't let it happen again. Then the very next weekend it does and worse this time. Both times I blacked out and I have no idea how much more I drank that I don't remember.
I just went to my doctor because I had been having panic attacks and two of the time were when I was drunk and taken to the hospital. She said to me well then you should stop drinking. Would a "normal drinker" think that that is ridiculous to tell me to stop drinking?? I told her I would be careful but am not going to stop. This week I have been a nervous mess because of all the problems that these two night caused, and the inevitable mess it will cause when my parents get the hospital bills. They do know about the first time, but I cant tell them about the second time because I know that it is completely crazy that I would do it again..
THanks for any advice anyone has..
Old 05-22-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Em

Glad you found us here. I was a 21 yr old senior one time... My 21st birthday was the Fri before spring break.... oh lord! Anyway- today I am 44. 6 months ago I said enough, can't do it anymore. I should have taken action at 21 like you are. You are obviously very, very wise. I didn't speak up like you are- I wish I had, but.. I didn't and I can not regret any of my past. It happened. I can tell you that you don't have to walk around feeling scared and ashamed. Only you can truly decide if you are an alcoholic. I would think there is some kind of support group on campus. I strongly urge you to find them and talk to them.

Please let us know how you are doing- best of luck
Old 05-22-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Em,

There are plenty of red flags waving. Like Tam Tam said, only you can decide if you are an alcoholic. You might want to check out the following alcohol screening website.

http://www.alcoholscreening.org/index.asp
Old 05-22-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Em,

Welcome to SR. I don't know if 'normal' drinkers have those sorts of experiences. I drank like you do, and eventually gave it up years later.
If you are able to moderate or control your drinking, maybe you aren't one. Only you can decide for sure, and time will tell.
I'm glad you found us and hope to see more posts from you soon.

Rowan
Old 05-22-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Em welcome.

Inability to control the amount you drink , "blackouts", hospitalization, warning from your doctor, panic attacks.

Hmmm....it seems to me there are some clear indications that perhaps drinking is not for you.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
believer

I took the test. For me it helped a lot. I have only drank less than 10 times so it fit on what i expected. Very good test Toomuch!But i also know a person can become one by not taking attention....A lot of my friends get drunk every night out and it is common thing in college not to care about that, well the problem is in not observing the world around and understanding we are fallible, at any age...

hope you find your answer from the test and personal digging, because every case is a case.welcome Em!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your responses. I do have some thinking to do.

Toomuch- thanks for the quiz I took it and it did say my drinking was hazardous, but of course I already knew that.

Peter- Is panic attacks associated with alcohol. I know that two bad ones I had were while drinking, but is there proof or have others experience it.

I guess I'll see and hope that what happened these last two weekends won't happen again. Its not fair for my friend to have to take care of me like they have.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[are] panic attacks associated with alcohol ?
You mean that vague sence of impending doom ? Mind racing all the time ? Heart pounding, feeling like it's going to jump out of your chest ?

Nahhh........
Old 05-22-2007, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I wish I could give you the avice you want to hear, however, I am not now, nor have I ever been a "normal" drinker. It does sound like you are on a dangerous path, anything could have happened to you while you were passed out.

Good luck...cathy