Notices

Just told i wont live past thirty if i keep drinking

Old 05-19-2007, 04:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just told i wont live past thirty if i keep drinking

My sister told me to go to the doctor and get a HEP.C and liver function test.
Well it turns out I dont have hep c. But my liver result was terrible.
Im 22 and have been drinking for about two and a half years, in the last year average is about 4 litres of wine a day.
I once quit cold turkey for 3 months but things just got too hard, its like the longer I went without alcohol, things were just getting too real, for me its better to be hungover than be as normal as I can get.
I have all sorts of non mental issues that i dont feel like talking about, but i also have mild schizophrenia, depression and anxiety. Ive used drugs as well. But dont use any more.

Ive read a few threads on this forum and its so real, the doctors and nurses just say, "your depressed thats why you drink, but alcohol makes you depressed, its a vicious cycle, just stop drinking". But I know i cant go a life without alcohol without something like a benzo to take the edge off life, seriously they give methadone to heroin addicts, why cant they prescribe me some replacement? I guess they would rather I died than give me a "replacement".

I cant even watch T.V without alcohol never mind do anything social, just basicly play games and surf the net, but thats only if i get out of bed, which is where I spend most of my day when i dont have wine.

Ive started to take thiamine tablets and it makes me feel alot beter, like im not going to pass out anymore.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am praying for you and your recovery!!!

Keep Posting!

~~~~~~~~

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Patricky,

I'm glad you found us and I'm glad you made a decision to take care of your health.

There is lots of support and information here, so take a look around.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

seriously they give methadone to heroin addicts, why cant they prescribe me some replacement? I guess they would rather I died than give me a "replacement".
There is no chemical replacement. Science mat one day accomplish this, but it hasn't done so yet.

Also, don't discount what the doctor says. Alcohol can and does kill. Read the thread in the alcoholism forum titled "So I was laying in bed...." to see what you get to look forward to (if your liver holds out that long)

However, there is a solution. If you're willing to do anything, and follow a few simple suggestions, you'll eventually discover this thing called serenity. Serenity is, without a doubt, better than any drug I've ever ingested. And believe me, I've ingested a few

Hang in there, it gets better.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I had cirrhotic liver disease at the age of 39...and when I got sober 3 months after

the diagnosis I was so afraid I would die anyway. 7 months later sober my doctor

said it was a miracle..healthy "new" pink liver of a 22 year old. No lie.

However...many drugs can also affect the liver. Try sobriety for your helath's sake

and your sanity Patricky.

My best to you and welome to SR.

Love,

IO
Old 05-19-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

That's so scary to hear that you won't live past 30 if you continue drinking...had to be scary to hear. A bit of a wake up call maybe. You're in my prayers. =) I'm struggling with this as well. It's hard to function let alone enjoy myself without a drink but it's even worse for me with one, ironically enough.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

Here is the link to the thread GP mentioned

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ere-i-bed.html

Glad to see you here...and there can be healing for you too.

Blessings to you and your sister
Old 05-19-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

lots of good folks around here, mate...lots of good advice, help and support...and the occasional kick in the behind when needed...

good to see another Aussie here...quite a few of us now !

D
Old 05-19-2007, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope for the best for you. Please be healthy. Even from what you have written here you seem like an intelligent and sensitive individual and the world simply needs more of those. Don't give up!
Old 05-19-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Patrick....
I am not puter savvy so I am going to copy this but not quote it.....

"your depressed thats why you drink, but alcohol makes you depressed, its a vicious cycle, just stop drinking".

This is a major key....it is OHHHH SO true!!!! Alcohol is a depressant, it is indeed a cycle... AND it takes a long time (without help) to realize that. I am a self medicater... I have seizures.....I can be on my meds and not even think about alcohol....but gimme a few days without (financial blues) and I feel like I need to self medicate....it makes me feel better...FOR THE MOMENT.......but the moment passes and I am right freakin back to where I was........

Alcohol causes a immediate euphoria, and then it passes...and your worse for ware so to speak......

PLEASE....keep posting, keep coming and reading and learning!!! This place has literally saved my life!!! I have cronic depression, I have anxiety (REAL BAD) among other issues, but through this site and the grace of my HP, I will be sober 1 year come August......
There IS hope!!!! There is a way to get through!!! Just hang tough, we are here....ALL of us!!!! PM me anytime!!!!!!!
~HUGS!~ Liss
Old 05-19-2007, 08:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Finding the right Dr...one who knows how to treat depression and other mental issues may be a good idea to look into. Yes alcohol can increase depression so treating the depression without using alcohol sounds like a better solution.
Ask your Dr for a referral to a Dr that knows how to treat depression.
Off alcohol, such a Dr would be better able to give a good diagnosis and find a proper treatment for you.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found us, Patricky
Old 05-19-2007, 10:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

sending big hugs

((((((((((patricky))))))))))))

you found the right place!!!!
Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hi patrick, welcome to SR
Old 05-20-2007, 04:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Thank You

For posting. I am now 52, however when I was 30, I was told I would not live to see 40 if I did not stop drinking. The liver enzymes were way off the chart. I lied about how much I drank. I said about a 6 pack a night and the nurse almost fell out of her chair, it was actually more like 12 a night. Or more.

Yes, I was told I would be dead by the age of 40. And what was my first thought upon getting the grim news?? How can I find a way to keep drinking? And not die? And there is no way I can live without alcohol in my life.

So I drank for another 3 years.

Then a series of events brought me to my knees, including an unfaithful spouse that devastated me. I knew the game was over, I was a broken man. I was on the outside looking in, I was dead, physically, mentally and spiritually.

I gathered myself together and crawled to my first AA meeting and have not picked up a drink, one day at a time, for 19 years. I am a miracle.

The upside is, once you get healthy, you will find trying to live your life in a normal way to be a very time filling procedure. Remember, I thought I could not live without drinking? In time you find healthy eating, taking care of the basics, like keeping an apartment clean, making my bed every morning, showering and bathing are all very life giving forces.

So dont give up on yourself. You may very well not be ready to quit drinking. But just know this, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. Mike
Old 05-20-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
believer

Patrick stay strong, you have a strong reason, your life, YOU!And you are worthy every year, every second of sobriety!
Old 05-20-2007, 03:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is my understanding that benzo's are not prescribed to alcoholics due to the fact that one slip with the alcohol could be deadly. Very bad combination.

jane