Notices

Fallen Nest

Old 05-16-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fallen Nest

Im not sure if I am posting in the right place or not; maybe this post should be under mental health.

Anyway here goes... After two days in bed; no motivation what-so-ever, I woke up this morning feeling slightly better. I went out on my back patio to check out the nest that the Robins had built on my drain pipe; it had fallen down onto the patio. This was EXTREMELY troubling to me; even though there are no eggs in in yet. I repositioned it on the upper part of a lattuce where I think it will be more stable.

I am so worried about the birds, as if they are my top priority, I think I'm cracking up.
I am so overly emotional.

I have 18 days of sobriety. I honestly wonder if I had a healthier mental state while I was drinking.

Sorry for the strange post... I just had to get my feelings out.

~Toomutch
Old 05-16-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

first month of recovery - my daughter's emotions were all over the place. i think it's just part of it. you talking to a therapist or anyone at aa? blessings, k
Old 05-16-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a robin in my backyard who has built a nest just above a light fixture. Each time I would come outside, she would fly from her next and chirp madly at me to stay away. I haven't seen her in days and I am very worried. I don't want to go near her eggs just in case she comes back.
So - if you're cracking up - so am I.
Well done on your sober time!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

you guys got me thinking - i better go out today and scrub my birdbath..

i love the birds in the springtime. i get up early just to hear them at sunrise.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For the last 2 years I have had some robins use the same nest more than once. I'll bet once it settles down your bird will come back and resume baby chores.

I too am a short time sober and talking to people whether it be a friend or counseler or someone in AA has helped tremendously. I just get so confused about what is going on sometimes that having some feedback usually gets me back on track.

Hang in there
Old 05-16-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Should I try to put the nest back to where it fell from, or do you think the Robin will find it where I placed it on the other side of the patio?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Determined

Have you moved it far? You may find that the robin will just start to build a new nest in the original place anyway. They are clever little animals and are hardier than we give them credit for, wind storms etc destroy nests in the woods anbd they just start again and rebuild. She'll be back in no time. :-)
Old 05-16-2007, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
[QUOTE=Toomutch;1333950]I am so worried about the birds, as if they are my top priority, I think I'm cracking up.
I am so overly emotional.

I have 18 days of sobriety. I honestly wonder if I had a healthier mental state while I was drinking.
[QUOTE]

Now let me ask you this: If you'd been drinking how much of a priority would the birds and their nest been? Speaking for myself, when I drank I didn't much give a damn about anything else.

Experiencing feelings and emotions is a privilege of being clean and sober. It's painful, it hurts, and it's worth every second of discomfort it causes.

You're not cracking up, you're slowly learning how to live in sobriety. Pretty impressive for 18 days;-)
Old 05-16-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

well put, astro! i agree - those feelings are a blessing. thanks for sharing above, k
Old 05-16-2007, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you Astro,

I guess you are right... I probably would not have even known there was a nest there in the first place.... let alone been worried about it.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I'm a bit obsessive about my feathered friends. Here are a few:

I'll go feed them before I start dinner for my family. Fortunately, they understand...

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 05-16-2007, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the pics Sug...

My husband called earlier with a tweet bird story. He heard a thump against a window when he went to investigate he found a little hummingbird lying on the deck under the window. When he picked it up it just kinda layed there looking up at him with a dazed expression. He sat it on a branch and watched it for several minutes... and finally it flew away.

His story made my day a little better as did your bird pics.

Angels have walked beside me
All my life--and they still do.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post