Notices

How many have stopped on your own?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many have stopped on your own?

Hello everyone, this is the first time reading your site and I'm hoping I can find some help here. I come from a long line of alcoholics. GPa, Gma, father, mother, both brothers, ex-husband and his parents, current husband, and myself. Every occasion revolves around alcohol. At first I would drink on weekends and occasions but I had a panic attack while driving about 18 years ago and when they came 5-6 times a day I found that alcohol would calm them. Now it's out of control. I drink about 12-15 beers every night. I recently learned that my ex mother-in-law has cirrhosis and now just found out that my mom has it too. Not to mention my sister-in-law who just died last September at the age of 47 from the same. What more proof do I need? For years hubby and I have been talking about "slowing down" but it never happens. He thinks we can just slow down but I don't think I can do it without stopping altogether. I guess a question for some of you would be can I do this without admitting myself to a rehab? Can I use this site and others as well as reading to help me stop? Have any of you done that? Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I quit with no help from docs or rehab. The withdrawals arent any fun and the doc can give you a weeks worth (or whatever) of meds to ease them. I drink (did) 24 beers every day. Give or take a couple. I HIGHLY recommend going to AA.

Welcome to SR!!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

my daughter tried many times to control or stop her drinking/using on her own. she was not successful. aa and an honest discloser to a med doctor is a good plan. blessings, k

by the way - welcome!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was drinking on average 12 a day towards the end...

anyways I did it... but it doesn't mean you can't let your doc in on what you are doing... can't hurt IMHO...

ONe thing though... I tried and tried to "slow down" or cut back...

I was drinking a case a week... I thought that was rediculas and tried to cut back... I did for a bit then I was drinking a case mon-fri and a 12 pack sat & sund...

I gave up beer for lent... and learned to drink vodka...

the last time I tried to moderate I didn't drink but once or twice a week... for a couple months but then I returned to drinking every day for almost 6 months and was drinking a 1/5 of vodka and 2 cases of beer a week at home and going out to drink at least one day a week...

KC... this site can help... but this was just frosting for me... it helped and made things easier... I would have never been able to put in 90+ days of sober living without AA.

Good luck
Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi KCStar,

I'm glad you found us - welcome to Sober Recovery.

I quit on my own, the first time. Three years later, after a relapse, I went to rehab for a 21 day program.

I could not moderate or control my drinking, and no longer try. I go to AA and it has not only given me sobriety, but a whole new outlook and attitude on life. I also come to SR every day, as it helps to talk to other alcoholics regularly - to give hope, and to receive hope.

Whatever you decide, I hope you continue to post here. My best to you.

Rowan
Old 05-14-2007, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's great to see a new member...Welcome to SR!

No rehab for me...but I wish I had talked to my doctor
about a medically supervised de tox.
It was dangerous and foolish of me...but I did not know that.

A is the way I use to enjoy my sobriety.

Blessings
Old 05-14-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it better if you go to a F2F..

well you know..sometimes when I work on my car..i can't get it done,but
it was a pain in the ass. If i just had that extra hand to hand me a tool
or hold the part in place for me, i get done a lot faster without striping
the damn thread on the bolt. Once you strip the bolt it's like a pain in
the ass even more.

asking for help or directions..well that's a hell of thing for a guy like me,
i just had to drive around the block a couple of times first to drive my gf
crazy.lol
Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome KCstar. Everyone is different. I wasnt able to stop on my own so I went to rehab. I came out of rehab and started using again. 5 months later I finally stopped on my own, but I dont think that would have happened if I hadnt gone to rehab. Whatever I got out of it took some time to sink in I think.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I stopped on my own without talking to my dr, which wasn't the smartest thing to do. I have been on my own and use SR as my lifeline for over 6 1/2 years.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

stopping on your own seems to me to be like performing surgery on yourself......

AA saved my life!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I will look into some AA groups. In the meantime I will continue to visit this site, if anything it occupies my time!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1_day@_a_time View Post
stopping on your own seems to me to be like performing surgery on yourself......
To each his own!!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi, kc...welcome to sr.....i, also quit on my own, i have almost 6 months clean, vicoden is my drug of choice.......

i have to agree, it's easier the more support you have, for some that is AA, for me it's SR...lol.....and my family and friends.....with out someone to sort of rat myself out to when i'm craving or feeling weak, i would not be sober today.......

quitting the amount of alcohol that you consume cold turkey, without medical attention, can be very dangerous, even life threatening.....so my strong advice would be to seek medical help when you quit......

you should be really proud of reaching out for help.......it's such a hard and scary thing to admit to others you have a problem........thank you, you may just inspire someone else who is afraid to reach out, too......that is the magic of this board...

hugs to you , and keep posting! no matter what....we are here to listen and help....
Old 05-14-2007, 03:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Most of the responses seem to favor AA, I heartily agree! I couldn't have done it on my own, AA continues to help with my sobriety, and programs like Al-Anon and CoDA show me how to live a full life in recovery.

Best wishes, you'll find what works for you.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I strongly recommend a Dr. I quit with my doctor's help--didn't use rehab or AA.
D
Old 05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I lasted 11 days doing it alone before I went to see my Dr. He gave me a few valium to smooth out the bumps. I have now finished the valium and I haven't had a drink for 22 days. I was rather anti AA because I tried it a few years ago and thought it wasn't for me, now it's a blessing. I just wasn't ready to accept the fact that I had a massive problem. This site has also been fantastic for me too, the combination of AA and sober recovery is just what I need. I shift work so I can't make any AA meetings this week so I come in here to chat. The people on these boards are just inspirational. Nice to meet you, please stay and go see your Dr.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi KC, welcome!

Your story sounds alot like mine, my husband & I drank together for 18 years, we drank alike and all the time. When i quit drinking I was drinking 1/2 gallon of vodka every other day, my husband was drinking 1/2 gallon of rum EOD. I do AA, I have a sponsor, I read the Big Book and I have friends here at SR that have kept me sober for the last 8+ months. I also saw my doctor, did an intensive outpatient program, counseling with a LADC and am now on anti-depressants. All of these things combined have helped me stay sober. Oh yeah, my husband also quit drinking (he's actually got more sobriety than me), and he has done it completely on his own....no outside help whatsoever, BUT in my opinion he's not an alcoholic....he has never had the "phenomenon of craving". I know, for myself, I would not be sober today without all of the these things I've been doing. SR is a huge part of my recovery, I am accountable to a group of woman here and we keep each other in check.

good luck!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How many times have I quit ? Too many to count.

Did the re-hab thing, drank on the way home. Saw a Doctor and he gave me valiuim. I chased them with warm Vodka in the parking lot. Did 6-8 home de-toxes over about a year. I could only make it a couple of days. Went back to re-hab, and made it 6-8 weeks without AA. Had a huge relapse, got arrested at my daughters school, and had the worst de-tox in recorded history when I got home. I went to AA the next day.

THAT time I stayed sobrer, and have been for almost 7 months.

BTW, home de-tox, unsupervised, is dangerous and NOT recomended. You can die. Personally, I didn't give a s**t. It was either quit drinking, or die trying.

Yeah, it was that bad.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi KC,

I had about a 12 beer or more per day habit and tried quitting several times on my own before I finally gave up and just went to a doctor. I told them that I was going to quit and that I didn't want to go anywhere (rehab). They gave me tons of information and advice, set me up with people to call if I needed it, and gave me a very small script for some benzos to help. Just having that small support system made all the difference to me, and I haven't had a drink in 47 days.

I'm sure it could be done at home, alone, but that just never worked for me. My doctor, friends, family, and SR have been sooo awesome and have helped me through it so far.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by igfan View Post
Hi KC, welcome!

Your story sounds alot like mine, my husband & I drank together for 18 years, we drank alike and all the time. When i quit drinking I was drinking 1/2 gallon of vodka every other day, my husband was drinking 1/2 gallon of rum EOD. I do AA, I have a sponsor, I read the Big Book and I have friends here at SR that have kept me sober for the last 8+ months. I also saw my doctor, did an intensive outpatient program, counseling with a LADC and am now on anti-depressants. All of these things combined have helped me stay sober. Oh yeah, my husband also quit drinking (he's actually got more sobriety than me), and he has done it completely on his own....no outside help whatsoever, BUT in my opinion he's not an alcoholic....he has never had the "phenomenon of craving". I know, for myself, I would not be sober today without all of the these things I've been doing. SR is a huge part of my recovery, I am accountable to a group of woman here and we keep each other in check.

good luck!
That's awesome! After our usual discussion about stopping drinking while drinking Sunday night I FINALLY woke up yesterday and decided to look for some online help. Well I made it through last night while he came home and finished off his usual half of our 30 pack. I told him about this site and AA and of course him being the man that he is states we don't need that kind of help. Doesn't matter though, I'm doing it anyway, and not going to say anything at all to him about it. You have to be ready. Of course I didn't sleep at all last night and I am really craving a beer right now, I'm reading the h*** out of this site trying to stay focused on why I wanted to quit.