Notices

I thought I'd finally got it...

Old 05-12-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I thought I'd finally got it...

I found this web site last Friday night... while drunk actually. I had woken up last Saturday morning so hungover & defeated...

I spent that day on my couch, reading posts on all of the forums & forgiving myself for being a slug instead of being outside in the sunshine doing yardwork & making good use of my time... I found the inspiration to remain sober all week from reading the posts here. In fact, I was waiting 'til today to finally add a post "of thanks" saying that I'd finally gotten 1 week sober. Well... I did get that 1 week ... but before I could do my post, I went to the package store (as it's called here in CT) & now, I'm drunk again.)

I would appreciate any help from anyone who lives alone... I know that alot of my problem with staying sober is from loneliness... I have 2 beautiful daughters ( just got great Mother's Day cards from them) but they live far away... Their Dad ( my ex ) passed away last August and I've been trying to help THEM cope with it as well as dealing with the fact that this was the guy I'd been with since 1969... we were together for 25 years & it wasn't till we split up in '95 that I even started to drink. Alcohol was never a part of our lives. I go to AA meetings & have found that I'm somewhat of a rareity... a middle-aged starter... but when it started... whoa!!! It was relentless...

Who knows what comes first... the chicken or the egg...

In 3 years, I've lost my brother,my father,my best friend, both of my sisters-in-laws,my niece,2 uncles & aunts & my husband to cancer... and the result of this for me ? I "pity pottyed" myself into 3 DUI's which resulted in so much ##$###%... including ( @ one point in house arrest ) which I THOUGHT WAS ROUGH to REAL prison for 4 months... In Fact, I got out of prison a year ago in April & since then I've been trying to rebuild my life & I have to a major extent... but Im a phoney cuz I have to be to certain people in order to live my life

My Mother fell( she's 87) & broke her shoulder in 4 places & demanded that I be there 4 her.

Then my daughter called ( her Dad had moved in with her w/his cancer)

And of course, I went there to be with him... & I have to say that in the last week of his life, it was me & my daughter that he was living with & our other daughter
Old 05-12-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Leeds. Congratulations on the week. I tried for years to get that far.
As for living alone, as a fellow 'loner' I have two words - keep busy. If you allow yourself too much time to think and wallow and think 'gee, I'm lonely/sad/tired/bored' it's that much easier for the little voice to pipe up and suggest a drink or two to make things better. Of course, it doesn't !!

wish you well and hope to see you around some more
D
Old 05-12-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi leeds!
Welcome to SR! Keep trying. I am. We'll get it right.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

Hey leeds! Welcome to the board. Congrats on your sober time, that is very commendable.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know that alot of my problem with staying sober is from loneliness
Drinking isolates us.

I found fellowship in the rooms of AA. Maybe you should try it. It's scary to walk in there the first time, but I bet more than a few approach you if you just stick out your hand once. I thought I didn't want to be around others, I was wrong.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Leeds,

Welcome and you have a great place to visit for support and inspiration.

I started drinking in middle-age too and it hit me like a brick. Since I've been sober, I love being alone. In fact it's essential for my balance. Have you ever considered doing volunteer work?
Old 05-12-2007, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Living alone and being lonely aren't mutual. You don't have to be lonely if you don't want to. Welcome Leeds... I'm glad you found the site .
Old 05-12-2007, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Leeds,

Welcome to SR - I'm so glad you found us - you got a week sober once, you can do it again. don't kick yourself for drinking.
please keep posting and let us know how you are doing - we care.

Rowan
Old 05-12-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
believer

Welcome

Loneliness is a gut-wrenching feeling. I guess addiction is a consequence of that void.On my short time of learning i have found out only a very deep digging can find the peace we need to win this fight. I am sad to hear you have to deal with those sad events. Some years of our lives just seem like everything is devastating. I believe you will soon see a light at the end of the tunnel, because you are worth it. And you really aren't alone. You have somebody: You. And we're also here for you any time.

Tonight i was thinking if it would ever be alright, this emptiness i have. I realized it has got to be alright one day. It is about justice. And i believe that for anyone. Being sober is hard, but as the stages get higher the emptiness will after a little time begin to transform in confidence.Being alone is also an amazing way to be in company of one's self. I know it's gut wrenching but all we have is the belief that the sun will shine over the storm.Believe, wait....and it will come
Old 05-12-2007, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for your good, wise thoughts... I need to sleep now & will ,hopefully, wake up tomorrow with a renewed spirit... Sometimes I think to myself, "What the H***, I'm better off if I just don't wake up"... but then I remember that my kids just lost their Dad a few months ago & so I couldn't do this to them to. They don't live close by & think that I'm sober & happy now. It hurts so bad to decieve them but the truth would, I think @ this time hurt them even worse... Need to go to bed now & sleep. Tomorrow is another day. ( Sober, I pray )
Old 05-13-2007, 01:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

leeds - welcome!

I hope you decide to return to AA ... or someplace where you can find fellowship.
GP is right - it's the drinking that isolates us. Not the other way around.

It's not that hard to make the call.

You never have to drink again.