Notices

Just wanted to share

Old 05-10-2007, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wanted to share

ROANOKE, Va. (AP) - The maker of the powerful painkiller OxyContin and three of its current and former executives pleaded guilty Thursday to misleading the public about the drug's risk of addiction, a federal prosecutor and the company said.

Purdue Pharma L.P. and the executives will pay $634.5 million in fines, U.S. Attorney John Brownlee said in the news release.

The plea comes two days after the Stamford, Conn.-based company agreed to pay $19.5 million to 26 states and the District of Columbia to settle complaints that it encouraged physicians to overprescribe OxyContin.

"With its OxyContin, Purdue unleashed a highly abusable, addictive, and potentially dangerous drug on an unsuspecting and unkowing public," Brownlee said. "For these misrepresentations and crimes, Purdue and its executives have been brought to justice."

I wonder how much I will get from that settlement ???? LOL

~Beezy
Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

From what I've learned, Oxycontin's are very, very addictive.

It is so justified that the company who made a fortune from this pill, is held accountable.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the share. It's an unbelievably addictive narcotic.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

they should be ashamed of themselves. k
Old 05-10-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
believer

When the big guys deal with justice it just feels good......
Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

i get too irate about this to really get into it, but i just want one answer-why doesn't anheiser-busch, a company that still has shady ass policies in full effect (their largest distribution center is located right on the border of the rosebud reservation in white plains, south dakota... hmm... target audience?) have to pay out millions upon millions for alcoholism?

better yet-why is it still okay for every tom, dick, and harry with an MD in psychiatric medicine allowed to prescribe xanax or klonopin for extended periods of time? where's the justice there? how many benzo addicts do we have here, can we get a show of hands?

is it because rush limbaugh abused oxycontin that people finally paid attention to what pharma companies are doing? i sincerely hope that's not the case, but it probably is. it's funny, when johnny cash was addicted to pills, nobody gave a sh*t. when your kid becomes an addict, pharma companies could care less. the only thing they're bummed about is the fact that the adderall your son/daughter/boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/etc. is snorting is coming from the streets, not another Rx they get paid for.

UGH! please. like they give a sh*t. please, wyeth, give my boyfriend some money for every time he spaces out from his effexor... and holly, for all her "lithium moments", and my sister for her "plane fright" valium Rx...

my response to this is volatile, absolutely, but like the bumper sticker says-if you aren't OUTRAGED, you aren't paying ATTENTION.

blech.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

benzo addict here.

i'm with you em.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I second that em...
Old 05-10-2007, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi,

Yup! I am a benzo addict and I was addicted to daily use of prescribed oxycontin and percs for two years..

BUT, I must be honest... When the scripts were offered to me, I was like a VULTURE looking for relief in the emotional areas of my life...

They changed me to a cripple that could have the cleanest house in town, and look so groomed and well dressed, that no one could believe that I was disabled...

I sure missed a lot of real life...

Last edited by Missymae737; 05-10-2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-10-2007, 12:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

me too...wasted all those years druggin...
Old 05-10-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hope3

Thanks for sharing that smyle, it's always good to see the

Goliaths get what they deserve. Hope3