Notices

Birthday Party

Old 05-08-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Birthday Party

I am struggling with a decision; tonight is my brothers b-day party at a restaurant. Both he and my sister will be drinking.

I feel uncomfortable at this point being in that situation; on the other hand I dont want his feelings to be hurt.

I know I cant hide forever; but I am only 9 days sober; and the temptation is still too great.

Any ideas on how to handle this?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Drop off a card to his house. and let him know you're thinking about him. put your recovery first, skip the dinner. he'll understand. blessings, k
Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I think k's idea is perfect, but if you feel like you must attend order a soft drink and leave early if you feel uncomfortable. It's OK to walk away when you're tempted.

If you don't have it already pick up a copy of Living Sober. It gives some great suggestions for daily living situations such as this.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I had been sober for 2mos I had to skip a dear friend's wedding, b/c I didn't know if I could stay sober. I told her why I wasn't coming, and she completely understood. Maybe your brother would understand your need to not be there tonight? Only you know your family.
My sponsor always reminds me to be true to myself and put my sobriety first. 5 years from now, when you have 5 years of sobriety...do you think your brother will still be thinking about you missing his birthday dinner in 2007?
Just something to think about. Do whatever makes you most comfortable.
Best wishes, HopeOct31
Old 05-08-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If your brother does not know about your situation, and you are not ready to tell him, stomach viruses pop up without a moments notice.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way too early, in my opinion. Sobriety first. You've worked so hard and gone through so much in the last 9 days .. why risk it. Call and wish him a Happy Birthday.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was still in detox at 9 days and I couldn't even look at commercials for alcohol on TV. I can't imagine what I would have done if I'd had to sit at a table with others who were drinking. Put yourself first. Your brother will understand. Think about how you would feel if the tables were turned. I think he'll be happy to know how serious you are about your sobriety.