Notices

Finally realised I have a problem

Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally realised I have a problem

Hi all,
Since before christmas I have been wondering whether or not I had a problem. Thinking that if I reduce my intake or change drinks I would be able to drink "normal". However, I always reverted to type - drinking too much. Not really causing any trouble just like i was really relaxed but really hungover next day.

It wasnt till last week when I tried to drink wine as it was lower cal than beer that I realised that really I was nt getting as drunk. I did not get what I used toget out of it. I started trying to drink just 2 glasses of wine but would end up having a bottle to 2 bottles. And not really feeling anything. This is the point i thought..may be I have a problem and god this is boring am I going to have to buy even more alcohol to get some effect! Never had this happen before I cant get drunk.

Anyway, I haven't had a drink for four days. The first couple of days were awful I was sweating and felt shaky. Now, I cant seem to relax and cant/dont want to deal with confrontation - I just want to hide away. Also, I keep waking up in the middle of night anxious. Can anyone offer advice - what do you do to relax. I have tried herbal Kalms tablets. Thanks for reading I want to do suceed this time. I dont want to get sidetracked by the thought of drinking again because i dont have a problem with it.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Determined

Hi well done you!!!

I am on day 3 and the scared/anxious/jittery not able to relax is driving me mad!! I too tried calms but don't think they had any effect at all, but then who knows what I'd be like without them. I am really anxious just now.

Yesterday I sat and watched the waves and felt great but obviously that is not really possible for everyone or even all day. Just now I find coming here and reading posts help as it kind of assures me I am not going mad.

Sorry I can't be more help at the mo, I think its just a case of time, determination and this great website.

If you get any success on the relaxation side of things please let me know!

Good luck

CW
Old 05-08-2007, 12:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Amelie I used to ( well 16 days ago) I was a two bottle second night gal and like you the intoxicating (well to me but not others) where lessening. Please dont try to drink more ( Im shaking at the memory of when I drank THREE bottles in one night and was so sick the next day it was agony. You need help to beat this post/lurk here as much as you can. Have you a good trusted friend you can talk too ? Ring your local AA. We have a sevice here in NZ called CADS ( community and Alcohol drugs support) have you something similar in the UK? get in contact with them you can do this on your own its too overwhelming to do it alone please go through you local phone book and we will always be here.
Ang
Old 05-08-2007, 12:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

Stay strong,you're worth it!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Ang & Cyberwolf for your messages.
It is weird how it creeps up on you. My b/friend drinks max 8 beers a night and last week made comments the morning after like why are you so ill. I said it must be "the cheap red wine as i only had one bottle" and his response was "I dont think so it maybe the quantity you have finished 2 bottles of the stuff". I secretly knew I had drank more than one. I was so embarrased and have put it in the rubbish and he would see it. Also, last week friends from work called me mid session and i was worried whether they could tell i had a few and I could not remember what i had said to them. Yet the funny thing is If I ask my b/f whether I am an A he says he does not think so. At the moment I dont really care what he thinks I cant keep on like this.
I am going to try all my best not to drink. My mother and sister dont drink - maybe a glass a week. I have said to them all I have given up to lose weight. I cant bring myself to admit it. Last time I had concerns about this I mention it to them both and they told laughed and my mother nearly even told my hairdressor. Think I will keep it to myself less humilation Thanks againx
Old 05-08-2007, 01:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was remembering that when I was drinking excessivly when I went and stayed with my parents how my mum ( who drinks four or five wines a night but of course she hasnt a problem!) used to tell me to fill my glass when ever I wanted too A brother he used to keep asking when we visted did I want a top up so yeah they didnt consider I had a problem till I got worse and worse. Its just hard to try and keep it all yourself but I fully understand where your coming from. We live in a small town and now Im known as that mad p*ss head that tried to top herself a fortnight ago :0( yeah it hurts but I want to get better I cant think out of my square yet till I beat this addiction and get stronger so I can look at the judgemental and say "ya know what Im winning and I needed to be at rock bottom so that I can climb to a place and a life I want to live take care Ang
Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey amelie, four days is a great accomplishment. blessings, k
Old 05-08-2007, 10:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Amelie,
You've made it 4 days... that's awesome. I've heard it said that we get beter physically, emotionally, and spiritually... in that order. So, while the most obvious symptoms of withdrawal may have subsided, it isn't surprising that you are dealing with some anxiety. Many of us on these boards have been through the insomnia you described. Fortunately, it does get better! Hang in there and welcome=)
Old 05-09-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Amelie,

I'm glad that you're with us. Please keep posting.

Rowan