Notices

New today-really scared

Old 05-07-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cshore68

Unhappy New today-really scared

Hi there. I am using this forum for the first time today. I am going to stop drinking tonight for the first time and I am scared to death. I have always been a drinker, but for the last year or so I have been drinking every single night, usually half a bottle of wine, and lately, frequently the whole bottle is gone when I wake up the next morning. I cannot stop myself anymore. I have resolved so many mornings that I won't drink anymore and I hate myself. I already feel very anxious today, I don't know what to expect if I actually make it through this day with no alcohol. The day seems endless. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Sobriety is a one-day-at-a-time deal, stay sober today and go to bed without taking a drink, wake up tomorrow and you have a choice to do it all over again.

Any thoughts about trying AA? Being around others who are scared and know how you're feeling can ease your fears and get you started on the road to recovery. Just try to have a plan. White-knuckling it is no fun, it takes help from others.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi cshore,

I'm glad you found us - you'll be amazed at the people here who will understand exactly what you're going through.
It's hard work , giving up alcohol , but you CAN do this. It's going to be tough in the beginning so keep yourself busy - and have a plan in place for when cravings occur.
Please keep posting here as you go through this - you are no longer alone.

Rowan
Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Cshore68 -

Welcome to the SR family. We're neighbors - I have a house in Emerald Isle!

You've made a great choice, and as Astro said, it's one day at a time. It will get easier everyday - as long as you don't drink - your anxiety will lessen and you will gain self confidence. Try an AA meeting and ask for help/advice just as you have done here!! We've all been where you are, and so has everyone at an AA meeting.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

TinLizzy
Old 05-07-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

It's always wise to consult your doctor before abruptly quitting.
De toxing from alcohol is a medical situation and can be dangerous.

Be safe and be sober..

Here is a link with some of our personal experiences...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html
Old 05-07-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cshore68 View Post
Hi there. I am using this forum for the first time today. I am going to stop drinking tonight for the first time and I am scared to death. I have always been a drinker, but for the last year or so I have been drinking every single night, usually half a bottle of wine, and lately, frequently the whole bottle is gone when I wake up the next morning. I cannot stop myself anymore. I have resolved so many mornings that I won't drink anymore and I hate myself. I already feel very anxious today, I don't know what to expect if I actually make it through this day with no alcohol. The day seems endless. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wish I could tell you that you will feel just dandy as you quit, but you will feel some level of discomfort. Your consumption hasn't been enormous so that's in your favor. I would find an AA meeting if you could....new women are warmly welcomed to groups by other women, and i 'm sure you'd find this to be true. (Just my observation). You'll find plenty of support here, but actually interacting with others is vital, IMO.

BTW, you've made a great decision to quit...recovery cannot begin without that step.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi,

Welcome to SR... You have made the right step in admitting there is a problem with your drinking...Recovery can be yours...

Keep posting, so glad you are here...
Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hi and Welcome!

It's always wise to consult your doctor before abruptly quitting.
De toxing from alcohol is a medical situation and can be dangerous.

Be safe and be sober..

Here is a link with some of our personal experiences...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

I think that's the best advice posted yet, or that can be offered-- be prudent about your health first, then be concerned with recovery, support,etc.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
cshore68

Thanks so much for all of your encouraging words. I have met with my doctor and he gave me a prescription for Campril, which is supposed to help with cravings. He does not think I have to be in a detox center to quit. I have some Ativan if I really get freaked out. I think I will go to a meeting tonight-at least the night won't drag on so much, hopefully.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you talked to your dr and are moving forward to stop drinking.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Cshore,

Welcome to SR, glad the visit to the doctor went well.

Take care

Lost.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cshore68 View Post
Thanks so much for all of your encouraging words. I have met with my doctor and he gave me a prescription for Campril, which is supposed to help with cravings. He does not think I have to be in a detox center to quit. I have some Ativan if I really get freaked out. I think I will go to a meeting tonight-at least the night won't drag on so much, hopefully.

Excellent news all around... let us know how the meeting goes, will you? BTW, it's a little um, different at first. But they grow on you. If I can return for a 2nd meeting, anyone can. I'm actually getting to the point where I look forward to them, even though I know nobody. Keep an open mind and be sure to introduce yourself when they ask if this is anyone's first meeting. They will all rush to welcome you. Hope you like that sort of thing Best wishes.

Daniel
Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Determined

Hi,

I feel really strange replying to your post, I only found this site yesterday and I was terrified!! I decided to give up drinking on Sunday Morning and so far I have managed not to drink. I posted last night a fair bit as I was really scared to go to my bed I was drinking a little more than you, lately at least a bottle of wine rounded off with shots of vodka. I was full of dread and anxiety and spent most of the first day crying uncontrollably for no reason!!

But I went to bed, I woke up and I feel a tiny bit less anxious today and there have been no tears!!! I hope this lasts but I know it will be hard. I found just sitting reading the posts on hear from other people inspirational and full of encouragement and advice. Hopefully it will help you to know that I am exactly where you are except for 24 hours.

Be strong and read this site ( I have been bacvk 4 or 5 times today just to read others helpful posts)

be strong
Old 05-07-2007, 07:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome=) You've chosen life! Freedom from alcohol is a blessing. It can be so scary to stop drinking. Before I stopped, I felt like alcohol was my comfort, my relief, my reward, my friend, my pick-me-up, my life. In actuality, alcohol was stealing my life. Putting down the bottle was such a relief. Not only did my body feel better physically, I felt better mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I no longer was consumed with thoughts of when, where and how I would sneak my next drink. Guilt and shame ceased to eat away at me. I could trust myself. You're doing the right thing. Stay strong. We're here for you.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
let it grow!

very nice to meet you, cshore! blessings, k
Old 05-08-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Girl Interupted

Hi cshore,

Congrats on your decision. My best advice is to keep coming back and posting.
You have more support here than you could ever imagine.

Wishing you all the best!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Determined

Question

How are you doing today? Been thinking about you.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes,

Check in with us...

Thinking of you...

Cyberwolf, I love your sig...