Notices

This Is Hard

Old 04-30-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PDX

Unhappy This Is Hard

Hello All,
I teach online classes, so this medium is pretty comfortable. But, admitting that I have a problem with alcohol and gambling is really hard. I do have a problem with alcohol and gambling. I had to have wine in order to muster the courage to post this message and I would really like to go out right now and play video poker to make it all go away. However, that doesn't work (tried it yesterday and it left me guilty and depressed). So, here I am, hoping that saying all of this out loud will be a first step for me. Thanks.
--
PDX
Old 04-30-2007, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Well, that's Step 1: "Admitted we were powerless over alcohol, that our lives had become unmanageable".

So with that being said, are you ready to stay sober?

Yes, this is hard, but keep posting and reading here and you'll see that it's not impossible.

Most of all, welcome! Glad you're here.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
PDX

Thank You

Thank you, I so wanted to connect with someone today. This is really hard stuff and I definitely need help and support. Again, thank you.
PDX
Old 04-30-2007, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

It can be your first step into the world of sobriety, you're right! Welcome, keep posting. This is a place full of support and people that are special and understand you.

Thanks for joining us.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
PDX

Thanks For Being There

Hi,
Thanks for your response, it means a great deal to me at the moment.
--
PDX
Old 04-30-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
PDX

Thanks, once again...

I was so eager to reply that I didn't notice you are in Portugal. I have students from all over in some of my classes, so this shouldn't be surprise. Yet, I wanted to acknowledge the fact that the Internet is pretty incredible. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
--
PDX
Old 04-30-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi PDX,

The internet is incredible and it has brought us all together here in the space. It's a great place to come to for inspiration and support.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
PDX

Thanks, Anna

Hello Anna,
Thanks so much. I am really in need of support at the moment. Knowing that there are others out there who understand makes a world of difference. Thanks for your posting.
--
PDX
Old 04-30-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
believer

Yes Pdx i never thought i could be understood so many miles away.It has changed my life. But pain is something we can all understand. We are all in the same boat. We just want you to jump on the sober boat, now...
Attached Images
File Type: gif
abca.gif (3.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-30-2007, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
PDX

Thank You

Thanks for being there at this particular moment. I am trying to muster my courage to make some big changes in my life. It is pretty scary stuff. Again, thank you for paying attention to my posts.
--
PDX
Old 04-30-2007, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
PDX

Please Tell Me About You

Please Tell Me About You
Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

I understand how you feel as far as needing courage. When I went to my first few meetings on my own I couldnt do it sober. I felt like I had to do a few lines before I went. After a while I started to feel comftorable and I started going sober. The thing that I didnt realize is that the courage started for me when I made the decision that I needed help. the acknowlegdement helped and it took courage to make that choice to even go to a meeting. So the courage is there in your post and for that I am proud of you. Im sure you will be just fine. I would suggest a meeting. Read the posts here and relate to what you can. You are never alone. Take care.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
believer

I am sober for a few days now, I've relapsed after two weeks sober after i came here for the first time. But it won't wear me down.I know better now. I have learned what to do and how to do it. I was in a rock bottom moment when i came here in the first days of April.I think i would've died maybe but i decided that i had to stop the destruction.I was too tired.I was simply addicted to self destruction, not a specific thing.I am learning self love now.
It is not easy.It won't be easy. But sobriety is so amazing there are no words. It is the freedom i have never had.It is like washing your eyes and seeing the world with different colors. And most of the support i found it here.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
PDX

Thank You So Much

This has been a terrible day and a great day. I was finally able to say it out loud ... I need help. Yet, the road ahead looks pretty daunting. Thank you for responding, it definitely comes in a time of need.
--
PDX
Old 04-30-2007, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
PDX

Be Well

Hi Karimpatim,
Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you have had some rough times. Where are you from? I guess we have all had some rough times, come to think of it. I hope you are well.
--
PDX
Old 04-30-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
believer

I am ok. Everybody here has had really hard moments like you and I. We have all had that moment when we said Enough hurt, come Love. I've said it for good.
I am from Portugal.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
PDX

Thank You

Thank you for being there today. Hard stuff, but maybe I have found a way to deal with it. Take care.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good for you to recognize your problem! It is hard, but worth it!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

PDX,

I'm glad you found us, and hope you stick around and let us get to know you. What you can't do alone, we can do together.

Rowan
Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by PDX View Post
I was finally able to say it out loud ... I need help. Yet, the road ahead looks pretty daunting.
Two years of sobriety and I still haven't met anyone who's stayed sober on their own. I'm pretty sure we all needed help at some point. I still do.

I spent my first 6 months of sobriety trying to do it all alone, suffering and hurting. When I finally reached out I couldn't believe how many people were waiting for me, willing to help. God what a relief that was.