Notices

Restless leg syndrome

Old 05-02-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Misscommunicat I had this way before I knew what drinking was. Was i just born with poor nerve conduction and hyper sensitvity?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don't know. I have seen it run in families. Do either of your parents have it?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Beth,

In case I disappear because i have to run back to work, I wanted to say HI!! I am soooooo happy that you are here and in recovery!!! I am doing well, thanks!

But, quickly, the diet things will really help you, even if all you do is cut down on caffeine and sugar and up the grains. I realize that that is np small thing, so it should not replace drugs that are effective, but, overall....a good direction to point yourself in.

big hug!!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It is definitely genetic. My mother has had it, but when she was closer to my age.
I don't know if I had it before I started drinking or using - I really don't remember.
Stress exacerbates it for me, too.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I dont know if my parents had it I was adopted and have no knowledge of my families medical history.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey misscommunicat!!!!!!
I am glad to hear you are doing well. I am also glad to back here and not as sick and out of my mind as I was. After 18 months of being competely incapable of working I finally got a part time job and I think I might be ready to try and take on a fulltime job.
I dont know how easy it will be because of my arrest record in the past year or so, but I am goig to give it a shot.
Thanks for the info

Hugs to you also.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My restless legs are directly related to my Lexapro. No Lexapro, no RLS.

jane
Old 05-02-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I never hear of this RLS until they started showing commercials on TV about it....
I wonder what people did about this yrs ago....I mean it cant be something new, right? My left leg bothers me around that time of the month...and Advil works ok for me. Oh and pillows.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have had RLS for 40 years so it isnt new, but the symptoms are sometimes hard to describe making diagnosis difficult. It is just recent that they have found medications to treat it. They have found medication to treat parkinsons disease is also effective for the treatment of RLS as well. Most people have never heard of it. From researching it I found out that it is rare. According to what I read only2.7% of the general population have it
Old 05-02-2007, 07:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

A shrink I used to see offered me some parkinson meds for the RLS but I was too scared to take something like that.

Now what an absurd statement that is, in retrospect. I used to chug booze with a mitt full of pills - and I worried what a prescribed med might do for a legitimate medical condition? BRUTAL!

Last edited by Rowan; 05-02-2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: grammar geek